Double trouble

-

70DartSedan

Not Banned - just hiding
Reaction score
I got the Dart a couple days ago. Great car, and it is a completely different animal than what everyone else is driving. But, here's the rub: I got a fuel leak and it looks like it squirts out the seam of the fuel pump everytime the gear turns on the lever. Then I got an oil pressure problem. the oil light comes on only in the afternoon and nights, and only when idling in R, D, 2, or 1. If I put it in park the rpm goes up and the light goes away, same in neutral. It does not come on when driving, but when I brake it comes on at about 10-15mph. The dipstick seems loose, but the car seems to be dripping oil. Fuel pump is going to be replaced tomorrow.

I believe the light is coming on in gear because of the lowered rpm's resulting in the oil pump npt spinning as fast and lowering the pressure. As far as reasons the pressure is low i dont have enough experience with this problem to give a credible answer but suggestion if the car isnt knocking could just have a worn oil pump or pressure spring maybe?

Change oil try 20w50 that will delay the oil prerssure problem that your gonna have. Wish you the best of luck, thats how I got started.

John,
Change the fuel pump before you drive it or run the engine again for safety's sake.
Check the oil pressure with a good mechanical gauge to determine if the sending unit is faulty. I think you might be in for a total rebuild or at least a new oil pump if you're lucky.
I bet the light comes on in the daylight too, you just don't notice it!

The fuel pump could be the source of both problems. It's for sure the source of the fuel leak. If it's leaking outside, it could well have been leaking inside diluting the engine oil. That would also cause low oil pressure. I would fix the fuel pump ASAP and do an oil change.

The fuel pump could be the source of both problems. It's for sure the source of the fuel leak. If it's leaking outside, it could well have been leaking inside diluting the engine oil. That would also cause low oil pressure. I would fix the fuel pump ASAP and do an oil change.

I was going to say the exact same thing!! Good call StrokerScamp!!
~Michael

x2 Fix the fuel pump first they are less than 20 bucks and take 10-15 minutes if that to change, then change the oil and make sure your idle is set to the correct rpm in gear.

Betting your oil is diluted by gas causing the low pressure but a slightly low idle rpm might not help any.

Oil change is planned, it currently runs on 10W40 from what I understand. The fuel pump is a safety hazard and I know it. I checked the dipstick, it is loose and doesn't want to fit snug in the tube. I'm sure there is more than one leak. The car only has a hair under 54k on the odo, and it ain't a "rollover", she runs to strong for a tired car.

I believe the light is coming on in gear because of the lowered rpm's resulting in the oil pump npt spinning as fast and lowering the pressure. As far as reasons the pressure is low i dont have enough experience with this problem to give a credible answer but suggestion if the car isnt knocking could just have a worn oil pump or pressure spring maybe?

Kinda hard to hear for knocking because of the solid tappets but I will try to listen more closely. My buddy Kevin has the Dart now and will be going through it to let me know what needs to be done, plus he will be changing the fuel pump while I'm at school. I lost about an 1/8 of a tank because of the leak.

Pull your dip stick and smell the oil. If it smells like gas there's the possible problem.

what about servicing the oil pump relief valve?

i see most of you guys always mention that the engine
is about to die... from what slantsixdean told me
servicing the relieve valve is part of basic maintenance that
always is and has been overlooked and if its not functioning properly
more than likely is the cause of low at idle/rpm oil pressure.

no one ever does the maintenance on this

reference post #7 in this thread from dean
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=149910&highlight=relief+valve

Leaking out the housing usually means a torn diaphram, and when that happens it can leak back into the oil thinning it out.

Good call SS.

I did not read all the responses but the fuel pump has to go in favor of a new one. A bad pump will seep gas into the block thinning the oil, and lowering oil pressure as well but I am sure someone else already posted this. A few things to remember though, you may also have a bad oil sender giving you a bad reading. I mean the car IS 42 years old?? Dont forget a new fuel filter too! A plugged fuel filter can cause back pressure from the filter to the pump causing slight leaks or not allowing the diaphram ( I thinK I spelled that right ) to work as it should or even causing it to fail, just my two cents. Good luck!!
Chas.

Attachments

• new car pics 015.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 195
Hey John,
I just looked at the pictures of your car, nice!!!! One thing though, for the love of God bud, cut some inches off that tail pipe LOL!!!
Chas.

Hey, Im in Illinoisy too. Ill drop by and with a sawsall and a tool box (For when your not looking) ROFL

Hey John,
I just looked at the pictures of your car, nice!!!! One thing though, for the love of God bud, cut some inches off that tail pipe LOL!!!
Chas.

Hey, Im in Illinoisy too. Ill drop by and with a sawsall and a tool box (For when your not looking) ROFL

Wow, Carol Stream, the Dart is from St. Charles, not too far from you.

Well I 'm not gonna cut off those inches, the exhaust on there now is gonna get chucked for an Accurate Ltd. "Slant 6 HP" System. It is a 2 1/2" system with a high flow muffler.

I got the fuel pump delivered today at 3:30 so no work today. My buddy has yet to "road test" it (Yeah, he's gonna force me to get new rear tires). He went over it and found I need a new belt, but that is the least of my worries as of now. So tomorrow, hopefully I should have it back with the oil pressure light gone and a new fuel pump, if not then Saturday morning or just after noon.

Hey John,
Just realized where you are at. Drop me a PM and lets communicate some. Nostalgia Days at Mickey 'D's is just around the corner and since I have family up your way I was planning on bringing 'Old Toot' to the show. Lets meet up! I would love nothing better than to have two 70 Darts (both with slants) side by side totally confusing the crap out of them GM fellas.
Chas.

By the way, need anything let me know. Got TONS of Dart and Slant knowledge if ya need it!!! Here's a little Slant 'eye candy' for you!

Attachments

• new car pics 028.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 170
  • new car pics 029.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 178
I'm in Gurnee... I'll get the Dart presentable. I gotta finish freshening up the undercoating and a few other odds and ends.

sounds like you need to run the valves to... they should be set @ .010 on the intake and .020 on the Exh (dont forget half way they swap lol)

get the engine up to operating temp or a little higher, let it sit for 30 mins, then get it back up to temp and run the valves...

The bad idle is probably due to the fact I'm dumping about half of my gas out onto my inner fender and k-frame...

The bad idle is probably due to the fact I'm dumping about half of my gas out onto my inner fender and k-frame...

If the car runs down the road ok, than the fuel pump is supplying adequate fuel volume for idle. A valve lash adjustment most often improves idle quality.

Get the fuel diluted oil and filter changed before all engine bearings are ruined from lack of lubrication, and or rings broken from too high level of oil in crankcase. While you are under the car, service the oil pressure relief valve. It can stick causing low oil pressure at idle even though the oil pump is working as it should.

I dont even hear the valves in my 67 /6! Adjust them and the idle will settle down, lots of things will fall into line with the proper valve lash. Kinda like fuel level in a Holley: It should always be addressed before any troubleshooting is started as so much depends on it being correct from the start. You could probably run a gallon of your diluted oil in you r lawn mower..or even the slant, probably the same compression! Is the tube loose or the dipstick itself? Pull the tube and put a thin O-ring on the bottom and send it home, might pick that slack right up, same on the stick itself.

The dipstick rattles around inside the tube where it should seal, I'm thinking someone was less than gentle when they couldn't get the dipstick out. The guy that was supposed to change my fuel pump today decided that time would be better spend painting a Monte Carlo, I think I'll do my own repairs from now on, I'll let him do this one job and the oil pressure job (I'll do it if he can't), and then I'll maintain my own vehicle.

-
Back