Doug's headers instillation

-
Yea me to. Some time this winter. But I must say after reading that article I think I will stay away from the Doug's headers. The TTI ones sound a little easier, and look to be a better design.

I couldn't imagine Doug's being any easier. I put a pair on my 65 Valiant about 1996 and they all but fell in. I don't see TTIs being easier since they are full length long tube headers.

I couldn't imagine Doug's being any easier. I put a pair on my 65 Valiant about 1996 and they all but fell in. I don't see TTIs being easier since they are full length long tube headers.

Are you saying the Doug's or TTI's fell right in? From what he went threw in that article to put them on a Valiant, I will stay away from the Doug's. Maybe they are easier with a 904 as he had a 4 speed. But I can't seem to find the instillation instructions on the net to check. I am starting to think about a set of fender well headers. Would look cool as I am building my 65 GT into a vintage drag car. I just need to find some one who has installed both the Headman, and the Hooker versions and see witch they think is better.

Thanks!!

Yea me to. Some time this winter. But I must say after reading that article I think I will stay away from the Doug's headers. The TTI ones sound a little easier, and look to be a better design.

tti are no easier to install i can tell you that..lol.

Great,
What fun! LOL

Would be nice if some one would come out with a set of shorty headers for them. If they can make them for all these newer cars with super cramped engine compartments, surly they could make a set for these A-bodies. Would not flow as good as a set of long tubes, but would be better than the manifolds!

Having installed both Dougs and tti's in mine, the Dougs are an easier install because they are a multi piece header. I have a 904 trans however. The coating on the dougs is polished and looks better than the flat aluminum paint looking coating on the tti's. The advantage on the tti's is they have 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 stepped tubes into a 3" collector, the Dougs are 1-5/8 tubes to a 2-1/2 collector. For a 360 the Dougs work great, but with a 408 I like the tti's better.

Good to know. I will have to keep an eye out for them. Leaning more toward fender well headers my self. While my Gt is really really nice, it is missing the fender tag and original drive train. So I do not care to much about cutting the inner fenders. But one step at a time. Still working on getting the TTI exhaust system on the car. Should have it done this weak.

Having installed both Dougs and tti's in mine, the Dougs are an easier install because they are a multi piece header. I have a 904 trans however. The coating on the dougs is polished and looks better than the flat aluminum paint looking coating on the tti's. The advantage on the tti's is they have 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 stepped tubes into a 3" collector, the Dougs are 1-5/8 tubes to a 2-1/2 collector. For a 360 the Dougs work great, but with a 408 I like the tti's better.

Good to know! I run a 904. As I am working on a 360 for it now, but planing on a 408 late next year I should probably go with the TTI or fender well headers. Thanks for the info!!

Are you saying the Doug's or TTI's fell right in? From what he went threw in that article to put them on a Valiant, I will stay away from the Doug's. Maybe they are easier with a 904 as he had a 4 speed. But I can't seem to find the instillation instructions on the net to check. I am starting to think about a set of fender well headers. Would look cool as I am building my 65 GT into a vintage drag car. I just need to find some one who has installed both the Headman, and the Hooker versions and see witch they think is better.

Thanks!!

If Dougs were hard for him, he was doin somethin wrong. I had a 904 though. Maybe there was some difference there. Also remember with the Dougs, you need to coat the slip fit tubes with red high temp silicone or you'll never get them back apart.

I was able to take my 5208 Supercomps out without moving the motor, I think I was even able to get them in too, but the holes in the inner fender were huge for me to do that. If you run a short tire in front, like a 185/60R14, i dont think they would hit, but my 205/70R14's put a little shine on one of the outboard tubes inside the front fender. I would buy them again in a heartbeat if I could find a used pair for 200 since I no longer have inner fenders...They fit. But Hedman Hustlers are the ultimate fenderwell header in my eyes, graceful bends and simple design. No fitment problems.

Thanks!!

You do realize that most of his problems were due to not having the correct bell-housing and clutch components right...????? Other than that it seemed pretty straight forward to me.....I have heard others state the Dougs were very easy to install on our early A's......the only reason I would choose the TTI's over Dougs is due to the TTI's being stepped with a 3" collector.

Plus the TTI's are $100 less than the Dougs....!!!!!!!

Rickster

Any one have problems with the Doug's gaskets blowing out? Seems the gaskets in the primaries could be problematic. But after rereading the article it dose look like his problems stemmed from his clutch arrangement.

That was my article. Having a manual tranny makes a big difference in the ease of install. Depending on what 360 and bellhousing you have it can be a real *****. I've installed Tti headers in my other 66 with the tremec 5speed. Dougs were easier overall. Spitfires being the easiest i've ever installed.

-
Back