Doug's headers not fitting - frustration

-
Remembering that I've got eyes like Jack Elam so I have trouble with depth perception, it looks to me like the height is right, and the engine needs to move 1/8 to the passenger side. Now to figure out how to do that. I've got a stack of 1/8" shims but am not sure that's going to move it the way I need. I'll find out later.

View attachment 1716250133
Love Jack Elam.. watched a movie recently on youtube called "Kansas city confidential" he was about 18 in it and was great.. also has a 18 year old Lee vanclef..

Remembering that I've got eyes like Jack Elam so I have trouble with depth perception, it looks to me like the height is right, and the engine needs to move 1/8 to the passenger side. Now to figure out how to do that. I've got a stack of 1/8" shims but am not sure that's going to move it the way I need. I'll find out later.

To do that, you'd probably need to hog out the mount hole on the passenger side a bit to sldie it over and up and then use some shims under the driver side mount.

I've got some 40 yr old, I'm afraid to try, lol
well i know it works fine after at least 7... I had places i could buy from legally but things changed.. you canadian guys can still buy legally and it pisses me off

Bob, that pic in post #24, - which tube is that, what cylinder ?
That is the tube for #7 cylinder

1715792494367.png

That motor has to be towards the drivers side too far or something.. that's crazy

I'm often happy with 1/8th clearance, depending on torque side and mount condition.
No rattles, no leaks, no dings .

I'm often happy with 1/8th clearance, depending on torque side and mount condition.
No rattles, no leaks, no dings .
A lot of tubes on mine are 1/8 inch away from things. But I run Schumacher Torque Strap so engine does not move and no vibrations and stock biscuit mounts don't break either.

If you put the shims between the motor mount and the K member, the angle of the block will change as it goes up in height. It should actually be greater than 1/8 where the steering coupler goes into the steering box. I'm sure you know this but loosen the bolts of the motor mount bracket attached to the block before doing this.

A lot of tubes on mine are 1/8 inch away from things. But I run Schumacher Torque Strap so engine does not move and no vibrations and stock biscuit mounts don't break either.

I use a $5 piece of chain, from hemis on down wrapped in black tape, no vibration, lotsa horsepower, lol

That motor has to be towards the drivers side too far or something.. that's crazy

I had a a Challenger bblk, I had to take a belt sander to the head flange to get it to fold under, kinda like this one.
That header was fkd, but I got it to fit.
The old days were a nightmare, no 2 headers were the same, hand welded, flange was like a mountain range, weld/ file every set.
At least now the use a surface grinder for the flange.

Last edited:
I had a a Challenger bblk, I had to take a belt sander to the head flange to get it to fold under, kinda like this one.
That header was fkd, but I got it to fit.
The old days were a nightmare, no 2 headers were the same, hand welded, flange was like a mountain range, weld/ file ever set.
At least now the use a surface grinder for the flange.
yeah we used to get like the super cheap $69 hedmans and **** from local stores and they were a battle Or blackjack...

Just loosening the mounts and lifting the engine and pushing it over while you let it down again will get you where you need to be.

MAKE SURE the engine is 5 1/4" above the the k-member too from k member to Center of crankshaft. There’s no reason why they should be beaten and dinged to fit. Should fit nicely.

I just did a tti install and ended up using a thick truck mount biscuit on the drivers side and also added a 1/4" shim in each side. I retrofitted a magnum 360 based stroker into mine and think had the wrong height bracket on the drivers side.

Yeah a lot of monkeying around with engine location is needed on a large number of these cars.

Just loosening the mounts and lifting the engine and pushing it over while you let it down again will get you where you need to be.

MAKE SURE the engine is 5 1/4" above the the k-member too from k member to Center of crankshaft. There’s no reason why they should be beaten and dinged to fit. Should fit nicely.

I just did a tti install and ended up using a thick truck mount biscuit on the drivers side and also added a 1/4" shim in each side. I retrofitted a magnum 360 based stroker into mine and think had the wrong height bracket on the drivers side.
I may end up with a truck biscuit too because it seems like no matter what I try the mounts just go all the way to the bottom of the slot on both sides.

Do I just need a mount for a late 70s D-something with a 360?

Either I missed it or there hasn't been any pictures posted of the fitment issues. Sometimes it helps to have additional sets of eyes looking at something to finger out what is what. lol

I may end up with a truck biscuit too because it seems like no matter what I try the mounts just go all the way to the bottom of the slot on both sides.

Do I just need a mount for a late 70s D-something with a 360?
Like 1985 d 150 v-8. Anchor 2469 is a part number or pioneer 602469. Both available from rock auto for dirt cheap.

I had to drill the metal bracket a little to accept the stud on the new mount for a proper fitment. Easy peasy

I have a used set hanging in my garage that were on a 360 4speed duster. Not sure if it had power or manual steering box they had minor massage dimples for fitment.
IMG_4045.jpeg
IMG_4044.jpeg

Last edited:
Either I missed it or there hasn't been any pictures posted of the fitment issues. Sometimes it helps to have additional sets of eyes looking at something to finger out what is what. lol
Every photo I took of it didn't show the thing was actually hitting. Depth of field and all that. I will look at them again and snap more shots of it today if necessary. But it's definitely beyond fixing with a dent so there must be something stupid that I did wrong.

-
Back