dougs or tti headers

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
I'm sure there is a thread on this. I have a 72 dart and need some new headers it will not have power steering. What ones fit best Doug's or tti. Thanks

You're right,, there's about one a week...

I prefer Doug's,, particularly when Autozone has their 20% off sale,, or you can ask Jegs/Summit to match the Doug's price..

If you do a "search" clicking on the "button" in the upper border., you'll find lotsa opinions..

hope it helps..

Doug's fit just fine on my Duster. TTi's are supposed to fit well also. TTi has the stepped primary tubes on some models. I took the Doug's off my Duster because I went to bigger tubes, but I got the 1/8 mile times in my sig with them on it. Thinking about selling them, but not sure yet.

I got mine from Summit, and was able to stack a discount on top of a sale on top of another discount, so I think I ended up paying around $450 for a set of the coated ones, which is less than the uncoated ones normally go for.

Yeah there is a code for AutoZone right no . Can get the coated ones shipped to door for $ 502.00 and receive a 10$ coupon so good deal. Code is 20fall10

If you have a manual trans you will need to modify the Z-bar. Both I believe will work with a stock sized starter but a small starter really does a long way for clearance and a fair weight reduction.

I just ordered a set of Doug's bare steel for my 72 Swinger for $360 from Summit using AutoZone price matching. I am planning on having them ceramic coated in matte black here in Denver. Either should work fine based on my research.

I have tti on 67 barracuda, they fit nice and I haven't drug on anything since they were installed.

Small block get dougs, cheaper and the extra money isn't worth the 4-5 more hp

I'm happy with my Doug's, but they didn't line up with the tunnels in the cross member very well.

TTI'S..put them on 2 different dusters very nice fit..a friend has Dougs on his '70 dart 2 center pipes on driver side come a little too close to the oilpan for his liking he wishes he bought tti's..

Save money, buy dougs.

I use a shorty filter when using headers. You don't need the 90* adapter either.

I bought Doug's D453 a few months ago. ..and can't wait to finish up all the "while I'm at it" and get my engine back in.

They look and feel like a quality part. Nice thick flanges, beautiful coating and finish. ...I'm sure I'll be very happy with them.

Jeff

Quick question if y'all don't mind?
Do these headers (tti/Dougs) fit so good, can they be installed with the headers on the engine when dropping in the engine/trans?
Thanks for the info on the headers!

Do these headers (tti/Dougs) fit so good, can they be installed with the headers on the engine when dropping in the engine/trans?

That's not something you can do with long tube A-body headers, regardless of the manufacturer. Only way to install the engine with the headers attached is to install if from the bottom.

My plan (same way I did my Stingray) is to tie them back in the engine bay and slip the engine in between.

2 things. .....wrap them until you have to unwrap them to prevent scratches. ...and de-grease them thoroughly (even fingerprints) before first fire up.

My plan (same way I did my Stingray) is to tie them back in the engine bay and slip the engine in between.

2 things. .....wrap them until you have to unwrap them to prevent scratches. ...and de-grease them thoroughly (even fingerprints) before first fire up.

Kinda what I was thinking.
It's been 20 years since I've done them, 'twas wishful thinking they improved with that much clearance.

Thanks guys!

Alotta great info here!

With Doug's; If the engine is already in, just pop out the steering column and un-bolt the steering box. No need to lift the engine. They slide right in from the bottom. Use packaging to protect the finish.

TTI shorty headers seem ideal for the street. No going through steering arms! Extremely easy installation compared to under chassis! Good to 450 hp! Down pipes offered for 110 bucks more. Z-bar friendly! I think I will try these for my next header assignment.

-
Back