Drag-a-Van.... what a waste, but we're going to do it

-
Dodge vans are apparently popular with Japanese bike racers who got to goofing off at the track one time and turned it into a thing

Factory 4 speed (3 speed/overdrive), and limited slip rear end with a 360. Not slow, but not fast. Just cool. My '78 Shorty StreetVan.
LOL

Groove_Machine.jpg

I'm sure that isn't in the plans or the budget it's all about the fun. But what if the vans where built like a Pinks car everyone donated parts and time and let see who has what. That seems like a very do able idea to me. Me and my friends have built stuff just to see what would happen. I have a good friend that will built an engine just to try and idea out. We call him Test Mouse because it's all small block Chevy stuff he plays with because it's cheap or free
BINGO!!!! this post exactly! That's why we both (Jake and I) were going to each get a van to compete against each other. But he just has no room at his house for one, so we'll work on the same one. We are having fun lookin' for the right one :)

I'm sure that isn't in the plans or the budget it's all about the fun. But what if the vans where built like a Pinks car everyone donated parts and time and let see who has what. That seems like a very do able idea to me. Me and my friends have built stuff just to see what would happen. I have a good friend that will built an engine just to try and idea out. We call him Test Mouse because it's all small block Chevy stuff he plays with because it's cheap or free
I know it all sounds like I'm peeing in his Cheerios..BUT!..., I've seen what happens and experienced it as well when you start getting too many irons in the fire with a "peanut budget" they can get overwhelming and vacuum the fun out of it from the other end...
I think all the vans that have been pictured are super cool! And would love to have that Drag Van that cool van Geo showed and that last cool hippie vans would be my favorite! Even an old van crash up Derby would be totally cool and fun.... BUT!!...,. ^^^ Back to my point^^^...
How many times did the 318 duster come out of the garage this year? And how much time did he have to work on his other duster this year? And now wants to add a van or two to the yard???….. how many barrels full a scattershot does this gun have... Back to an earlier point, One race at a time....

I know it all sounds like I'm peeing in his Cheerios.
How many times did the 318 duster come out of the garage this year? And how much time did he have to work on his other duster this year? And now wants to add a van or two to the yard???….. how many barrels full a scattershot does this gun have... Back to an earlier point, One race at a time....
Huh? '76 Duster - new ball joint and UCA bushings; installed 8.75 rear end; sought and bought slots/painted them/mounted new MT's and fronts; installed hood scoop; installed drive shaft loop; added Plymouth Decals; bought and installed Doug headers; and new starter. '74 Duster - pulled out of storage, went to the strip, won a trophy! :)

While we all know he'll never have a 11 second naturally aspirated duster of his own.. naturally:poke:.. I truly still have hopes of him seeing 12 seconds one day... Of course we know no amount of Doug's headers and October are is going to make that happen.... Maybe a new set of high-compression pistons for the tired old junkyard 360 this winter???...:popcorn:...

While we all know he'll never have a 11 second naturally aspirated duster of his own.. naturally:poke:.. I truly still have hopes of him seeing 12 seconds one day... Of course we know no amount of Doug's headers and October are is going to make that happen.... Maybe a new set of high-compression pistons for the tired old junkyard 360 this winter???...:popcorn:...
What does my Duster have to do with us looking and having fun with a van??? Trying to figure out why you mentioned it in the first place??? :realcrazy:

Last edited:
I just saw a CL listing for a fairly clean looking 67 A100 no-window with no drivetrain, for $700!

I almost went to get it but I believe it's gone.

Already a "mid-engine".

What does my Duster have to do with us looking and having fun with a van??? Trying to figure out why you mentioned it in the first place??? :realcrazy:
Because it's going to remain so slow....
While you spend all your time and peanuts on a van..

Because it's going to remain so slow....
While you spend all your time and peanuts on a van..
Ahhh... I think I get it. You want me to focus my attention/money in the Duster? Like install the magnum heads, etc. I get it. The van won't hinder anything I would want to do to the Duster.

Last edited:
I've got pictures of an AMC Pacer that would blow away anything you've owned or anything you've ever own, but what the hell does that have to do with the price of tea in China...
I like different...can you send the pictures of the Pacer?

I like different...can you send the pictures of the Pacer?

I don't know if this is the one he is talking about, but this is a Pacer that runs in the 10's if I remember correctly.

DSC00444.JPG

Last edited:
Ultimately I'm cheering 318 on, if he has the time and budget... go for it...
Slowest car I've ever taken to the strip was a 18 - something. It was in a 2.2 K-car. That slow-record will likely be challenged at the start - but let's see what we end up purchasing. We've been look'n pretty hard for a bit... I have Van Fever.... :D

Slowest car I've ever taken to the strip was a 18 - something. It was in a 2.2 K-car. That slow-record will likely be challenged at the start - but let's see what we end up purchasing. We've been look'n pretty hard for a bit... I have Van Fever.... :D
Just remember, its more fun to drive a slow car fast, then to drive a fast car slow

Just remember, its more fun to drive a slow car fast, then to drive a fast car slow
We're going to make videos... races, burnouts, etc. Jake has a go pro, we'll have fun. Usually these things are all over for next to nothing, but now that we've wanted one the last month we can't find what we are looking for..... figures.

Are you going to grow your hair long with a pony tail and name the van " Love Shack Express " lol
You don't know what to get into next, grocery cart racing at Walmart ? lol

Are you going to grow your hair long with a pony tail and name the van " Love Shack Express " lol
You don't know what to get into next, grocery cart racing at Walmart ? lol
here is a bit of truth: We've had more fun with the van we haven't bought yet than any car we own in the last month!

318willrun, you need to make a west coast road trip for a van. jpar found one for you, I just found this jewel. There are a few more well under $1,000 as well.

1989 Dodge Cargo Van

-
Back