Drag Racing is Dying

-
Thats because the parts stores dont carry anything for older cars anymore. I just ordered an exhaust kit from Jegs because there is no way anyone is going to have something like that locally.

In fact i am getting a grocery list of things to "order" from my local advance auto parts store.

Such as a slant six intake/exhaust gasket......slant six timing set. These items were probably in stock at one time but now i already know i will have to order them and then after a few days go all the way back and pick up the order....or i could go online and order it from advance auto dot com but they dont have free shipping now and i am not paying $9.95 to get a timing set and a gasket down here to my shop.

since there is a waiting time no matter what option you pick now, ebay is just as good as any other source and if anything you can probably score a better deal online
But my point was, you don't have to have money if you have the plastic. So, if you live at home and work part time and have a card, you can "ring up the bill" and order away. Not the case in the ole days.

IMO NHRA is now out of touch with the average enthusiast. To me that's pretty apparent with the sponsors too - many of which I have little idea who they are or what they are about. How can I relate to a car and driver that has a multi-million dollar budget and pulls up in a couple of decked out semi's? Can't even get close to the pits anymore to see what's going on there - unless of course you have the VIP Acce$$ Pa$$ to get you into the team's "ho$pitality" area. In contrast, around '82 or '83 I went to a match race event in Sacramento that featured Prudhomme and Force as the headliners - I was able to wander into their pits and chatted with both of them - good luck doing something like that now.

That is the younger generation in every aspect in life these days. .

I am part of the younger generation (25) and I would wager if you put your car in the beams next to my home built on a budget street car I make you wish you stayed home. You can't group this stuff, it's on an individual basis. Where you from? You grudge race?

I am part of the younger generation (25) and I would wager if you put your car in the beams next to my home built on a budget street car I make you wish you stayed home. You can't group this stuff, it's on an individual basis. Where you from? You grudge race?
Got it together again?

go back in time. drag racing was birthed in California, hotrodders racing at abandoned airstrips??

nhra? 1965, going to the drags to see the AWB wonders and the rest... Albany, Ga. 3 of us in the front seat, 2 in the back seat, and 1 in the trunk!??? LOL

NASCAR? Tallagega, 1970??? reak cars driven by real people, with a real audience??? JMHAO

I drift on occasion....I drift toward the center-line and the other guy freaks out, hits the brakes and I get the win light, LOL.....well, it only happened once, by accident, but hey, it was funny all the same :D.

Lmao:D:D:D:D

Sorry to break the conversation but just going off the title of this post. Did you guys here about al anabi racing. For all the drag racing fans, I feel like it fits the dying of drag racing.

Drifting can be Exciting ??
I Did it once...Evading the Palos Heights police Department
on Roller coaster road !
Drifted right out of the drivers seat
when the R/T went airborn on the 3rd hill at 100+ !
I tell ya' I wish they had Go-Pro helmet cameras back then...
You're Not Driftin' until' the garbage on your floorboards "Levitates" !!!

Oh ?? You all were talking about Horizontal Drifting ??

Yeah..I Agree with that old-timer Ranidude70
That stuff's for front wheel-drive flamers in rice burners
with Stuck emergency brakes cables !!!

on Roller coaster road !

We need to get back on the drag racing subject but just to clear things up you can't drift in a front wheel drive car.

Arguing about if drifting is better then drag racing is like arguing about gun control with a liberal. You can type all you want but in reality your just banging your head against a brick wall because it's someone's opinion and there is not a good chance you will change their mind. Now back to the op!

Sorry to break the conversation but just going off the title of this post. Did you guys here about al anabi racing. For all the drag racing fans, I feel like it fits the dying of drag racing.

I think I saw a few threads about that lol.

your post right here confirms my statement .....the hip hop thug mentality is doing this country great i see.

I never implied or said i was into grudge racing just simply discussing a change in the trends of motorsports. Do you challenge everyone who might have a slightly different opinion than you.

BTW: even if you have a faster car than me .....i am really happy for you. I am accomplishing my goal of preserving a piece of American History in my garage and i dont need to play a dominate male monkey role to validate that.

We need to get back on the drag racing subject but just to clear things up you can't drift in a front wheel drive car.

!
Yes, you can! My nephew drifted about 70 mph around a corner by pulling up on the parking brake between the bucket seats. I would not ride with him at all, but he drifted.

your post right here confirms my statement .....the hip hop thug mentality is doing this country great i see.

I never implied or said i was into grudge racing just simply discussing a change in the trends of motorsports. Do you challenge everyone who might have a slightly different opinion than you.

BTW: even if you have a faster car than me .....i am really happy for you. I am accomplishing my goal of preserving a piece of American History in my garage and i dont need to play a dominate male monkey role to validate that.

Lol hip hop mentality, I live in the middle of nowhere, operate equipment and blow **** up. Polar opposites. I asked you if you grudge race (simply asking a question) I do not challenge everyone with a "different" opinion but when I see something as ignorant as labeling and grouping an entire generation of people based on the actions of a very, very select few I tend to call that person on their bullshit. It's a horribly close minded way to fumble through life.
I also was entertained by the part where you are "preserving a piece of American history"... what did JFK own your car? It's not like I destroyed mine by buying a rolling shell and pulling every nut and bolt out during a two year restoration so I can enjoy and race the car. If that's not preserving it then it's one of my 3 old mopars iI have failed to preserve. Each of your posts is you attempting to play a dominant role, jumping on your high horse whenever the occasion arises. It's a thread about racing correct? Don't get out of shape if someone ribs you a bit just to rattle you.

And people call me Vanilla Gorilla,no monkey about it.

I call BS on that....

You can if you know how to use/abuse the e-brake.....

Get her going good, crank the steering wheel, and pull up hard on the e-brake .... called a J-hook....

on Roller coaster road !

I live down the street from those a--holes....

But my point was, you don't have to have money if you have the plastic. So, if you live at home and work part time and have a card, you can "ring up the bill" and order away. Not the case in the ole days.

That's a good way to get yourself in trouble with debt. :banghead:

If I don't have the cash, then I don't need the parts yet.... O:)

Drag racing is still quite popular tho, come to the yellow bullet race at cecil this year, ull see what i mean

That my Friend is what drag racing is all about,I am planning that trip myself.My boss and his son both race Top Sportsman and wen't last year and said the NHRA needs to see how they do it at the Yellow bullet.

That's a good way to get yourself in trouble with debt. :banghead:

If I don't have the cash, then I don't need the parts yet.... O:)
Exactly, if I don't have the cash, I don't buy the part. I realize that in most cases you have to order by card, but then you have the cash to pay back the card. So, If I Don't Have The Cash, I Don't Order!!! (p.s., I don't go very fast... lol)

very nice, that is definately some drag race humor and scary as hell if you see the other guy drifting your way ....LOL

that almost looks like a colorado plate on the front of that purple cuda notch.

Yes, it is a Colorado plate, I grew up there. The pic in my sig is from Bandimere way back when I ran a mild stock stroke 360 on a 180 shot (probably around 2007 ish). Now I'm at low elevation (Indiana) with a NA 410 that makes the old 360 setup feel slow :D.

I call BS on that....

You can if you know how to use/abuse the e-brake.....

Get her going good, crank the steering wheel, and pull up hard on the e-brake .... called a J-hook....

That is not drifting that's just sliding. Drifting is when the rear of the car slides out and the wheels are still spinning. The throttle is used to control the angle of the car. Give it gas to get the rear end to come around more and let off to straighten it out. The hand brake is only used to break traction and many drivers are starting to use the clutch instead of the hand brake.

I asked you if you grudge race (simply asking a question) I do not challenge everyone with a "different" opinion but when I see something as ignorant as labeling and grouping an entire generation of people based on the actions of a very, very select few I tend to call that person on their bullshit. It's a horribly close minded way to fumble through life.

well your post had a very aggressive tone coming up to asking about a grudge race. I took it as very aggressive and out of place in a discussion because i took it like your solution to settle differing opinions which would be ludicrous.

Where you are 100% correct is that it wasnt cool for me to generalize an entire generation on the acts of the bad apples. I will own up to the fact that i shouldnt have done that. Although an increasing number prove that our generation has some issues, its not always true for every last person.

Speaking of young guns.......have you guys seen this thread for young guns..

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=299759&page=2

I have had the thoughts to do some giveaways and fun build threads for young guns down the road.

BTW: i dont "grudge" race, but if you ever in the southern Colorado area .....there is a local track that we run for fun. Although i have not run a car in some time it can still be cool out there. Back when i was in first years of college days i ran my dad's 69 cuda on the track but that has been awhile now and the cuda is showng it age now. (original 2 owner Car that my dad bought as a used car in 1972) But something will be coming out of the shop real soon.

-
Back