Drag track combined with speedway

-

A360

Benton
Reaction score
I was talking to a fellow at my local track last night that has just got back from the US checking a few tracks out.

http://www.motorplex.com.au/drag-racing

Click on some of the links to see the tracks and some videos

Our local track has a pretty good dirt track speedway next to the drag strip
and we were wondering is there many setups like this in the US.

Just curious.

cheers

Benton

Copy.JPG

There is a track in New York that the front straight away of the oval track is actually part of the dragstrip.i think it is DunnTire Raceway. Bradley

They are trying to build something like that here in Colorado just outside of Denver, but the people here who live like right under the flight path of the airport says it will be too much noise.... wtf are you serious. I don't think they realize how much revenue it will bring to the area. Just to be able to have Nascar and Nhra coming to one location.

Lebanon Valley Raceway (I think that's the name), in New York, has a dirt oval w/ their drag strip. We went to a NHRA points race there one weekend. After we left the track on Saturday for the motel, they had a race on the dirt. EVERY car in the drag pits was covered w/ a 1/4" of dirt the next morning! So, in addition to the usual nervousness of getting ready for the first round of the day, we all had to clean up first!
Our neighbor was under his car, when the stream of muddy water ran right where he was working... Uh oh. My partner and he seemed to have different opinions of what happened, considering the tension in the air about first round. We survived, went 2 or 3 rounds, as I remember.

Benton -
The nicest combined-purpose single location I'm aware of is Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Nevada. See the link below for an aerial photo of the complex:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...3LjYzNzMxOTQ3MjgxODElN2UtMTQ2LjgyODI5Mjg0NjU=
The 1200-acre (490 ha) complex has a 1.5-mile superspeedway for NASCAR, a national event caliber dragstrip for NHRA, 2.5-mile roadcourse, 1/2-mile dirt oval, a 3/8-mile paved 'Bull Ring' oval, and kart tracks.

Locally here in Southern California, the complex in Fontana has a 2-mile superspeedway for NASCAR and IndyCar with a multi-configuration road course in the infield area, a NHRA-sanctioned dragstrip just outside the north side of the superspeedway, and a kart track.
Also in SoCal, Irwindale Speedway has both a banked 1/2-mile paved oval, a 1/3-mile paved oval, and a 1/8-mile dragstrip.
Pomona, where the NHRA Winternationals and World Finals drag races are held is also here in SoCal. That facility is a dragstrip only and only operates several times per year because of local noise ordinances.

Memphis Motor Sports NHRA track had a paved track for the winston cup car's.

Now closed :angry7::angry7::angry7:

San Antoio Texas had a 1/2mile asphalt and behind it was the 1/4 mile drag strip and along side of it was a 1/4 mile dirt track. all three have been shut down and bought up by a Toyota truck plant.

You can't get that in the northeast because everyone around here is a whiney pain in the ***. They dont care if it doesnt affect them. So long as they can prevent you for doing whatever it is. It's why I live on a large rear lot with no neighbors.

My home track, Oxford Dragway in Oxford, ME, is directly behind Oxford Plains Speedway. The drag strip is 1/8 mile and the speedway is 3/8 mile paved oval. I live only a mile and a half from them:mrgreen:

The one i frequent just has the drag strip, a motocross track(that i've never seen) and they use to have an oval track...again, never seen it. lol

San Antoio Texas had a 1/2mile asphalt and behind it was the 1/4 mile drag strip and along side of it was a 1/4 mile dirt track. all three have been shut down and bought up by a Toyota truck plant.
Sad but true. All we have now is the dragstrip NE of town. It has recently gone NHRA and is slowly going to 1/8th mile.

I didn't see if anyone posted this up, but I live about 45 minutes north of Portland, OR. Portland International Raceway has a dragstrip on their road course, they also do MX in the middle. on the other side of I-5 they have the horse track and they use to have a circle track behind that (its been torn out for years though)

Here is an areal pic:

PortlandInternationalRaceway.jpg

PIRmap2.jpg

-
Back