Driveway Torque Converter Swap or Pay a Pro?

-

adamfeber

Reaction score
I have a new stall converter that I want to install. I do not have access to a lift which would make this job much more manageable.

Has anyone done this in the driveway on jacks? How difficult would it be? Any tips and tricks?

The other option is to pay someone to have it done - from talking to a few different shops, it sounds like I would be looking at around $500.

I would much rather spend the $500 elsewhere but I am little intimidated by dropping the transmission in the driveway.

I changed mine with the car way up in the air on stands. Put a jack under the trans and one under the engine. We had to move my engine around a bit to get the trans off. Other then that it dropped down onto a creeper and got to work on the converter. Took us about six hours and a lot of throwing tools.

I replaced the trans on my '72 challenger on wheel ramps in the driveway in front of the house when I was in high school. Not much fun but definitely can be done. I helps if you are strong and have a buddy to help get it lined back up to the motor. Be carefully with getting the converter clocked to the flex plate correctly. It only bolts up one way.

Just did the converter in my GTX, on the ground up on jack stands! It actually makes it a little easier being close to the ground because it allows you to use a floor jack to support the trans and roll it back out of the way! My car has an X pipe so I dropped all of the exhaust for clearance, and other than having to change the flex plate for the smaller bolt pattern of the new converter, all went as planned! I would suggest you check to make sure you have the correct flex plate lined up in case the one in the car is the stock unit, as mine was. Most converters nowadays are 10" or smaller and have a smaller bolt pattern than the OE 11" converters, which is what was in mine! My car was a big block so your app may vary, but checking before you tear the car down and having the parts on hand makes a huge difference! I did mine on a Sunday and had to call a buddy to hook me up with the flex plate!! Good luck, geof

I never pay someone else for what I can do myself. its easy if you have a floor jack and basic hand tools. A friendly suggestion would be to replace the pump seal when you change the converter unless of coarse you need the practice and want to drop that trany again soon.

I almost think it is easier to pull the engine and trans as 1 unit. In less than 1.5 Hours I can have the whole enchilada out on the floor. At that point the converter can be changed in 10 minutes. 2 more hours its back in the car running.

How far are you from keystone heights? I have a shop with a two post lift and would be willing to try and help you out. I am a little crippled up with from back and neck surgery but I have the lift and transmission jack and tools to do job. You will have to do the heavy lifting but I am willing to help a FABO brother or sister. Bill

Borrow/rent a transmission jack from somebody. Job's real easy that way. Just got to get the car way up on jackstands..

If you are in ANY kind of shape / health at all, you can do this. Hell 500 bucks is about a third of what my hoist (used) cost by the time I got it erected.

You want a plug for the rear, or a spare shaft yoke. It's handy to get caps for the cooler lines coming out of the trans. I believe these are no 5 (5/16) SAE flare, NOT AN or JIC

You want to fab a simple bracket--just a scrap of metal, or a hardware store corner brace, for a device you can bolt to the front of the bell.....to keep the converter from falling out. THIS IS A MUST

Pull "things" loose, jack up the rear of the trans, remove the crossmember, and let the trans down some, makes it easier to get to the bell bolts. Support the rear of the trans until you get everything except the two large 7/16 bolts out of the bottom of the bell. Remove starter, dust shield, and converter bolts.

Support the rear of the engine, Get your trans jack under there, and remove the last two bolts. "It will fall out" LOL

In this day and age of cheap crap from Horrid Freight............ ground transmission jacks are pretty reasonable

have pulled many transmissions while laying in the driveway on my back..
I have also and find doing a 4 speed it much harder/heavier and ackward.I,m not looking forward to my next 4 speed re-re by myself.If you,ve never done an auto trans. swap before,have someone that has help you along.It,s how I learned 35 ys ago.

Dang MOE!

Put that puppy up on some jack stands and roll the sleeves up. Take your time, think it through. Its only steel and bolts don't let it outsmart you. You'll feel like twice the man when its all said and done.

How far are you from keystone heights? I have a shop with a two post lift and would be willing to try and help you out. I am a little crippled up with from back and neck surgery but I have the lift and transmission jack and tools to do job. You will have to do the heavy lifting but I am willing to help a FABO brother or sister. Bill

Wow, you can't beat that.

The trickyist part is setting in the converter to the trans. I find it easiest to put the trans on its tail shaft with the bell housing pointing up, then drop in the converter and rotate it back and forth until it clicks/drops twice. then it is in and you can't let it come back out before installing the trans.

I would not recommend trying to install the converter with out pulling the trans first. It's too hard to set the converter in properly when the trans is horizontal.

Bill, a little over an hour away. I really really appreciate the offer and will let you know when I am ready to pull the trigger on this project.

Thank you everyone for the feedback - after thinking about it, I am convinced to tackle the project on my own. I have a new flex plate specifically for my application, deep aluminum trans pan, new bolts, new transmission mounts, and everything I should need. Now I just need to find a weekend.

I have a engine hoist ( cherry picker ) so I would pull the engine leaving the trans in place.

-
Back