Driving with headpipes on manifolds ... ok?

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
Im about done with my V8 swap. I bought TTI head pipes to go on my HP manifolds. They fit really nice BTW. Anyway, think it’s safe to drive it to the muffler shop 15 miles away to have him finish the exhaust? I’ve done it with headers, just not cast iron manifolds. Thanks

I don't know why not.............

My favorite example is some of the big Rolls/ other aircraft engines. Some of those operated with VERY short stacks......and in very cold temperatures

rolls-royce-griffon-mk59-10.jpg

I’m worried about breaking off the flanges with the weight of the head pipes cantilevered out there vibrating.

I don't know why not.............

My favorite example is some of the big Rolls/ other aircraft engines. Some of those operated with VERY short stacks......and in very cold temperatures

View attachment 1715127490
It’s the weight of the head pipes cantilevered vibrating that concerns me. As for the noise, it’s 15 miles of it. No problem where I live.

It’s the weight of the head pipes cantilevered vibrating that concerns me. As for the noise, it’s 15 miles of it. No problem where I live.

How long are they? You could always "jerry rig" some hangers, even multiple layers of "haywire" off the T bars, etc

As far as the engine goes you might risk burning an exhaust valve just running the manifolds open but with 4' long head pipes it should be A-OK. It'll be loud but it's pretty cool being able to "feel" the pulses from the exhaust :D

I agree just tie the ends of the pipes up with some bailing wire around the torsion bars...

Temporary hanger off the seat bolts. 15 miles of roads is a lot of bumps for 4' of headpipes.

Im about done with my V8 swap. I bought TTI head pipes to go on my HP manifolds. They fit really nice BTW. Anyway, think it’s safe to drive it to the muffler shop 15 miles away to have him finish the exhaust? I’ve done it with headers, just not cast iron manifolds. Thanks
Hi, I was wondering if you thought there was an advantage to buying the TTI head pipes vs letting the muffler/exhaust shop fabricate the whole exhaust system?
I will need to get an exhaust system fabricated from the HP 340 manifolds back on a '67 Dart.
Any reason you didn't buy the H or X pipes too, or the whole exhaust system?
I tried to PM you but your in box is full.
Ray

Last edited:
Two things... the muffler shop bender isn’t capable of making mandrel bends. So on top of crushing the pipe, they would have to be pretty skilled. There are complex bends in both sides. I’m sure a very skilled muffler shop can do it. I just didn’t want crushed pipes making those complex bends. The TTI fit genius. Tight but worked.

48" ? Shi..... low rider guys around here always run their 54 Chevy's with no mufflers, just straight pipes. When you decelerate it will sound like a Harley.

48" ? Shi..... low rider guys around here always run their 54 Chevy's with no mufflers, just straight pipes. When you decelerate it will sound like a Harley.
Yeah it sounds bad to me. I’m headed straight to the muffler shop once I figure out my drum and backing plate rub.

-
Back