Drum to Disc Conversion Help

-

Brandini

Reaction score
I want to begin with the fact that brakes are a big nemisis and this is why I hate messing with them. Installed a disc brake conversion kit on the front of my 69 Barracuda and the brake lines are in need of a switch also so I went ahead and purchased some pre bent lines from Right Stuff (Part #YKT6801. The distribution block needs to be replaced and I know that I will need a proportioning valve due to the fact that disc brakes are on the front and drums on the rear. Ordered a combo valve from Performance Online part #PVC Link(https://www.performanceonline.com/P...on-Valve-AC-Delco-172-1353-and-172-1361-Type/) Of course this block has wrong inlets for the brake line kit. I am stuck at this point and need help on the distribution block as well as a proportioning valve. Thanks in advance help would be great.

Rebuild your distribution block, I’m doing one now with a kit I bought online. The new distribution blocks are a hit and miss on quality.

He needs a proportioning valve, not a distribution block.

To the OP.....it sounds like you got either the incorrect proportioning valve or incorrect lines, as......you know they should be compatible. You should endeavor to make sure "which" part is wrong.

If I remember correctly, For my 69 Dart brake conversion, I used a proportioning valve out of a disc brake 74 car.
Also, The Stainless Steel brake lines were tough to stop the leaking.
I prefer non SS brake lines.

Rebuild your distribution block, I’m doing one now with a kit I bought online. The new distribution blocks are a hit and miss on quality.
Gonna take a look at it tomorrow and see if I can reuse but would prefer to use new parts since every other part of the brakes is new.Thank you.

He needs a proportioning valve, not a distribution block.

To the OP.....it sounds like you got either the incorrect proportioning valve or incorrect lines, as......you know they should be compatible. You should endeavor to make sure "which" part is wrong.
Yes it seems that the combo valve is not what I need and have to switch.

If I remember correctly, For my 69 Dart brake conversion, I used a proportioning valve out of a disc brake 74 car.
Also, The Stainless Steel brake lines were tough to stop the leaking.
I prefer non SS brake lines.
Yes the lines from Right stuff are just the basic option they are not ss. Might your remember from where you ordered that proportioning valve.

The disk brake kits I have installed came with adjustable proportioning valves. I could be wrong, but I think that might be what you want. The combination valve you linked to does not appear to be adjustable. How do you know the force distribution will be appropriate for your application? When a manufacturer put disk brakes on a car back in the day, I'm sure the engineers had worked out the exact force distribution needed, so an adjustable proportioning valve would not have been needed. There are so many possibilities on disk conversion combinations today that I think an adjustable proportioning valve would be the safe way to go.

The disk brake kits I have installed came with adjustable proportioning valves. I could be wrong, but I think that might be what you want. The combination valve you linked to does not appear to be adjustable. How do you know the force distribution will be appropriate for your application? When a manufacturer put disk brakes on a car back in the day, I'm sure the engineers had worked out the exact force distribution needed, so an adjustable proportioning valve would not have been needed. There are so many possibilities on disk conversion combinations today that I think an adjustable proportioning valve would be the safe way to go.
The kit I purchased did not come with an adjustable prop valve and I understand that I need one because of the disc brakes but I purchased the pre bent lines and don't understand if I need both the distribution block and prop valve or just the distribution block. Also keep in mind that I probably want to switch out the distribution block because the one in the car seemed to be in rough shape.

That's how I did my 65 when I converted it. Dual reservoir master, same distribution block and an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line. Worked good.

The kit I purchased did not come with an adjustable prop valve and I understand that I need one because of the disc brakes but I purchased the pre bent lines and don't understand if I need both the distribution block and prop valve or just the distribution block. Also keep in mind that I probably want to switch out the distribution block because the one in the car seemed to be in rough shape.
You do need both. The distribution block splits the fluid flow from the master cylinder to the four corners of your car. The adjustable proportioning valve will go just behind the distribution block so as to be between the distribution block and the rear brakes. The kits I have done included a brake line about 6" long that threaded into the back of the distribution block. the adjustable proportioning valve went on the back side of that 6" brake line. Then you have to cut and flare the brake line going to the back to make up for the extra pieces you just installed.

You do need both. The distribution block splits the fluid flow from the master cylinder to the four corners of your car. The adjustable proportioning valve will go just behind the distribution block so as to be between the distribution block and the rear brakes. The kits I have done included a brake line about 6" long that threaded into the back of the distribution block. the adjustable proportioning valve went on the back side of that 6" brake line. Then you have to cut and flare the brake line going to the back to make up for the extra pieces you just installed.
Okay this finally makes sense for me after seeing a lot of other conflicting information. Going to try and save the distribution block but use new hard lines and purchase an adjustable prop valve for the rear brakes. Thanks for the replies.

He’ll need both, the proportioning valve for the rear brakes after the distribution block.

Right, "IF" that's the way he chooses to do it. The factory used one or the other. Not both.

may be wrong but I would put the adjustable valve right off the master cylinder it would be a lot easier to adjust as needed could butt the rear line together and plug the distribution block as needed everyone has their own way of doing things no one size fits all

WHAT KITS ARE U GUYS TALKING ABOUT ? NEW , OR STUFF OFF A USED LATER MODEL? I`M THINKING ABOUT RE INSTALLING MY ORIG. 1968 FORM S FRONT END , AFTER i GET THE K FRAME MOD DONE, WOULD BE NICE TO COME UP W/ A KIT FOR BIG BOLT PATTERN W/OUT PIECING USED PARTS TOGETHER -------AT A DECENT PRICE !--------------------Disregard caps-----------thanks , bob

WHAT KITS ARE U GUYS TALKING ABOUT ? NEW , OR STUFF OFF A USED LATER MODEL? I`M THINKING ABOUT RE INSTALLING MY ORIG. 1968 FORM S FRONT END , AFTER i GET THE K FRAME MOD DONE, WOULD BE NICE TO COME UP W/ A KIT FOR BIG BOLT PATTERN W/OUT PIECING USED PARTS TOGETHER -------AT A DECENT PRICE !--------------------Disregard caps-----------thanks , bob
The kits I have done were all by Stainless Steel Brake Corp. They are no longer in business, but their stuff was high quality.

I want to begin with the fact that brakes are a big nemisis and this is why I hate messing with them. Installed a disc brake conversion kit on the front of my 69 Barracuda and the brake lines are in need of a switch also so I went ahead and purchased some pre bent lines from Right Stuff (Part #YKT6801. The distribution block needs to be replaced and I know that I will need a proportioning valve due to the fact that disc brakes are on the front and drums on the rear. Ordered a combo valve from Performance Online part #PVC Link(https://www.performanceonline.com/P...on-Valve-AC-Delco-172-1353-and-172-1361-Type/) Of course this block has wrong inlets for the brake line kit. I am stuck at this point and need help on the distribution block as well as a proportioning valve. Thanks in advance help would be great.

You could save yourself a lot of time and hassle if you just bought everything from Doctor Diff.

may be wrong but I would put the adjustable valve right off the master cylinder it would be a lot easier to adjust as needed could butt the rear line together and plug the distribution block as needed everyone has their own way of doing things no one size fits all

I always install them like the MP book says. In the line going to the rear brakes so that the adjustment knob comes through the floor right under the driver's seat. That way they are really to adjust on the fly and get the braking perfect.

I always install them like the MP book says. In the line going to the rear brakes so that the adjustment knob comes through the floor right under the driver's seat. That way they are really to adjust on the fly and get the braking perfect.
don't have a clue why they would need adjusted that much but that will work

I want to begin with the fact that brakes are a big nemisis and this is why I hate messing with them. Installed a disc brake conversion kit on the front of my 69 Barracuda and the brake lines are in need of a switch also so I went ahead and purchased some pre bent lines from Right Stuff (Part #YKT6801. The distribution block needs to be replaced and I know that I will need a proportioning valve due to the fact that disc brakes are on the front and drums on the rear. Ordered a combo valve from Performance Online part #PVC Link(Proportioning and Combination Valve, AC Delco 172-1353 and 172-1361) Of course this block has wrong inlets for the brake line kit. I am stuck at this point and need help on the distribution block as well as a proportioning valve. Thanks in advance help would be great.

what disc brake kit did you use? is it using a factory style parts? big bolt front disc and large bolt rear drums?

last 68 dart i did i used the inline tube part 70-74 Mopar A-body plymouth dodge Duster Dart brake valve proportioning meter | eBay

also used a inline tube brake line kit. everything fit as it should.

what disc brake kit did you use? is it using a factory style parts? big bolt front disc and large bolt rear drums?

last 68 dart i did i used the inline tube part 70-74 Mopar A-body plymouth dodge Duster Dart brake valve proportioning meter | eBay

also used a inline tube brake line kit. everything fit as it should.
Perfect I think the OP is making more out of this than needed -- learning curve brakes are pretty simple but nothing to take lightly basically just moving and controlling fluid I work on 300 to 500 ton presses all the time with up to a 42" ram

Last edited:
-
Back