dual pickup distributor for a dodge 440 ?

-

mopwr2004a

low slung chassis
Reaction score
dual pickup distributor for a 440 ?

who makes a dual pickup distributor for a 440, factory or aftermarket? if factory what was the applications they came in.

or if you have built your own could you give me info on parts you used to accomplish this.​

get you a small block dual pickup distributor and change out the shaft and your good to go as far as I know

so the housings are the same? thats on a factory dizzy right not the aftermarket stuff ?

The only electronic dual pick up ones that I have seen were from early 70's emissions era engines, and I think big block only, but I could be wrong. The second pickup had something to do with altering the timing for emission control. The housings to the best of my knowledge are similar between b, rb and a engines, but all three use a different shaft length, and remember that small blocks turn clockwise, and big block ccw, so you cannot interchange the internals or vacuum advance canisters between big block and small block.

The dual pick-up dist. were used on the Lean Burn factory systems. They had no vaccume or mechanical advance. 1977- 1979 years I think.

Why in the heck would you want to put dual points in when electronic ignitions are far superior?

the dual pick up electronic distributors came on the 76-79 lean burn (spark control command) engines. the lean burn brain controlled the timing advance/retard in place of the vacuum advance. the housings are the same for all V8 engines with the exception of these housings which have no provision for the vacuum advance, only the shaft was different lengths for different applications. i wouldnt even mess with the dual pick-up when there are superior choices for the EI

Attachments

• diagram13.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 748
all I want is a distributor with the dual pickup for a EFI conversion using the Holley HP fuel injection. one pickup will be for cam signal and the other for the crank signal

Dunno if it helps, but I have a MP 440 elec dizzy for sale cheap!! #3690432 $50 and I will toss in a brand new MP alternator bracket.

thanks for the offer, I have several ditributors of various types for the 440 but need a dual sync for the Holley fuel injection system I'm looking at

all I want is a distributor with the dual pickup for a EFI conversion using the Holley HP fuel injection. one pickup will be for cam signal and the other for the crank signal

Just FYI the two pickups aren't phased the same, the start pickup is 10* (I think) retarded in relation to the run pickup. Will that work with the Holley FI?
You could cannibalize a small block distributor for the pickup plate and swap it into a big block distributor.

Most cam position sensors I have seen do not have the same number of teeth as there are cylinders. They usually have only one trigger per revolution of the cam.

My 88 Dodge 1 ton with a 360 has a dual pickup distributor. Last year for a carb and no cats.Just some info for junk yard shopping.

Interesting. Can you tell us what model Holley system this is. Several of us play with Holley EFI systems (Pro-jection, Commander 950). I haven't heard of this crank/cam signal need. Sounds like you might need one signal to be 4 pulses per crank rev and the other signal to be once per 2 revs (i.e. high during one crank and low during the next). Sounds like you would have to modify any dual pickup distributor to make those, and probably need a Hall-effect sensor for the cam signal.

-
Back