dumb questions time ...about race cars

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
why do a lot race cars have blue headlights .....i think i have seen yellow lights too.......what does it do or mean to have colored headlights?

Attachments

• Ronnie2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 276
Nothin' but going for a look Rani. Some of the big time guys actually showed their cars at times also.

why do a lot race cars have blue headlights .....i think i have seen yellow lights too.......what does it do or mean to have colored headlights?

Glad I'm not the only one that's wondered about that!

*sarcastic tone* they're hid rani!

It looks different... Some have spun aluminum caps, some yellow (euro lights), some just decals that look like bulbs... The thing about race cars is - they can be whatever you want so long as it works.

I think the color head lights look killer vintage!! But probably not street legal in most states. It was a clear color coat you can spray on the lights, it became real popular in 1967-68 at the drag strips :glasses7:

Now you can get blue halogen bulbs newer cars, it always reminds me of the old cars but they are way more bright and annoying......lol

Just for looks Rani. Just to be cool. I tinted the headlights on my Challenger and got warnings from the cops.

so then just regular enamel ....did i spell that right ...strange word

It is a clear paint with color added for tint...there are some older threads about this, maybe do a search and you will find where to buy the paint, I think some place made it for cars but have heard of using the model car enamel paint

Yes I think he used spray can model paint and put VERY light coats until he got the desired effect

Car Craft did a set. 4 coats candy yellow toner,4 coats clear with catalyst .

...folks do one of two things that I know of for coloured lights.

First, you can line the light reflector with colored plastic that they use on the stage. There is a guy in NS that does this for folks...for a price.

For me, I just moved over to HIDs and picked the Kelvin range that gave me blue. Legal and bright. My wife has the same HIDs but hers are white. Yellow is available too I think..

I do it because it really matches my car and makes it stand out..

ian.

KELVIN-SCALE-X2.jpg

-
Back