Duster Cowl Hood??

-
the front of the grille/hood disrupts the air flow, It starts doing crazy things, and gets up, off the front of the hood at least 2" (now, this is at speed). That creates low air pressure below. Then the air somewhat settles down and flows over the scoop, then hits the windshield. It goes nuts there, trying to get away from this big, almost vertical wall. In the process of finding it can go up, and over the roof, a high pressure area is formed at the cowl, helping move air into the back of the scoop.
I agree that this is only at speed, but isn't the speed what we are after?

I have no data. I have read where the Chrysler engineers tried it in the early sixty's & they stated that it didn't work. No numbers listed in the article. I did notice that it didn't end up on any of their Race or Street cars. So, thats good enough for me.

but you missed what the chrysler engineers found to be the right place to put the inlet on the scoop when the scoop points forward? i havent seen alot of OE style scoops being anywhere close to that position.
hint:its in the A-engines book and i think i have seen it in DC bulletins aswell.

anyway back on topic if i have to change my sixpack scoop to make space for a new inductionsetup i dont think i will use a forwardfacing scoop again i will use something more functional and backwards scoops looks good on dusters.

Why are pro stock, etc scoops high? Not for that much clearance, but to get the opening up high, off the dead air space at the front off the hood.

Green1 has got it. Cool non turbulent air is the goal. Pressure gains from any ram effect are minimal at best until you're well into triple digit speeds.

It's generally excepted that the best pick up areas for intake air are at the base of the windshield (ducted from the plenum ala early 60's stock cars or 67-8 Z28 Camaros for example), in front of the car (65 Comet drag cars), or high up above the boundary layer (any number of cars with snorkle type hood scoops).

Maximizing the benefits of getting cool less turbulent intake air from from the base of the windshield means isolating that intake air all the way to the air cleaner from the underhood enviroment. Raising the entire center of the hood and extending it back over the cowl plenum on the 69 TransAm bound Camaro was probably less about styling than a way of minimizing intake tract turbulence and reducing the number of times the air turned getting to the air cleaner when drawing intake air from the base of the windshield. Putting the intake air ducting in the raised hood section also minimized underhood component interference and probably reduced costs too.

The Fox body Mustang crowd didn't have any qualms about adopting it for their own and cowl hoods on Mustangs probably out number the Corvettes and 1st gen Camaros sporting them by a large number.

If you are looking for feeding air into the engine what about these?
http://ramairbox.com/install.html

It should force the air right in. But i have always wondered about at what point are you pushing too much air in?

Shure if you have your foot down at 100mph the engine will need a lot of air, but once you let off are you at risk of running too lean and doing some damage?

Why are pro stock, etc scoops high? Not for that much clearance, but to get the opening up high, off the dead air space at the front off the hood.
But witch direction is the prostock scoop facing.Also at what speed is at speed.

Its your car do what you like! I got allot if crap for my plan with the shaker.my thumb Nail is what i plan to do with mine. That said here are a few pics with different types of scoops. I think the challenger hood scoops would look pretty cool too.

Attachments

• 73-340-duster-3a.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 561
  • Moparman896-74-Duster.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 503
  • MPC 1-7326-225 73Duster.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 511
  • 28188d1298486971-new-mopar-m-hood-decal-what-do-you-guys-think-tim-kirkland-2011-toxic-rt-001.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 507
My project. 5" cowl
13FEB7BA-FDFB-404F-8896-A9CD0FA64B9A-157-000000062798B96D_zps1cd0f7ab.jpg

CE14B65A-F917-4F34-95BB-29BB51BA3D7D-157-000000080B5965FE_zps8c8d7a57.jpg

My old duster with 6 pack style. Didnt wanna go that route again. Wanted to try somthing different.
I think 10-15 years ago you could say " nova/Chevy hood" ect. But nowadays so many mopars and other cars are wearing cowl hoods its now the new norm. For many vehical types. Especially at the track.
5BD671E2-C5AF-483D-9DC5-22CADD27825D-459-0000006D172EAB64_zps1a9cb7c1.jpg

Not that I don't like the mopar hood style. (They look badass) just wanted to switch it up.
Just my 2cents

My old duster with 6 pack style.

That is an amazing looking car! I am just starting a '70 Duster project and want to paint it white. You just confirmed my choice.

As far as scoops. I subscribe to the idea that the owner of a car gets to choose what they want to do. Unless they ask for my opinion I keep it to myself and let them enjoy what they have built.

I put a Super Max Wedge scoop on my Barracuda (2" taller than a stock Max Wedge scoop.) mostly for attitude over performance. My car is a bracket racer. I don't need to eke out every last bit of horse power to be competitive. Instead, I'm looking for reliability and consistency while being fast enough to make it fun to drive. If I was racing heads up I might consider trying a cowl scoop.

Mopar "did" have a cowl hood! Just look at a '70 Road Runner/GTX. Not sure who came out with it first.I say do it!

Am I the only one who thinks that cowl hoods just look better on Chevies?

I dunno, maybe it's just that's what I associate them with, or they match the bodylines better, or because Chevies always look like they're in reverse when I race them anyways. Hmmm....not sure.

Am I the only one who thinks that cowl hoods just look better on Chevies?

I dunno, maybe it's just that's what I associate them with, or they match the bodylines better, or because Chevies always look like they're in reverse when I race them anyways. Hmmm....not sure.

it depends on the bodystyle.. the cowlhoods flows in better with the lines on Dusters,fastback Barracudas,Demons and Dart sports. as for the other bricks also known as A-body mopars the more boxshaped moparscoops works better from a visual perspective.

from an efficiensy point of view read the mopar a engines book or read up alitle on aerodynamics,a visual comparison can also be done while driving cars with different style scoops,my sixpackstyle scoop is moving around alot in the wind at speed,compared to the L88scoop that i had on a chevelle that lifted alot but stayed very stable.

Cowl hoods belong on chevys not mopars and snorkles dont belong chevys they look stupid on the wrong brand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back