Duster Down Under

-

BigBen

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I will be upfront and say that this is my first Mopar, I wish I hadn't waited so long! I bought my 1970 Duster from the US last year and have been ironing out a few bugs since it arrived here in January, and finally got it on the road last month. It's running a 440 with 727, 8 3/4 with Detroit Locker.

Ben.

DUSTER1.jpg

Welcome to FABO BigBen. Really nice looking Duster you have and I'm interested in where you got the hood scoop 8). It looks awesome!!

There's quite a few members here on FABO from Oz. Poke around a bit and you'll find them! :cheers:

A very hearty welcome BigBen. I am major envious of your ride. ...?...What's the OZ law about left hand drive ?

Welcome to the site!
Great lookig car you have there.
Lots of good people here, and great tech advice!

Hey if you guys down under are gonna keep buying up our cars could you please send over a few ozzie valiant chargers?J/K Welcome to fabo!Cool duster I like the hood That doesn't look like anything you'd find here in the states.Was it installed after you purchased it?

Jomper my ute may be for sale soon if you want one of our Aussie cars back your way ;)

Over here in Oz we are allowed to drive left hand drive vehicles on the road without the need to convert to right hand drive if they are 30 years or older, such as my 71 Duster that lands here this week. Basically anything newer than that has to meet set safety standards laid out by our lovely government and be converted to right hand drive. A new 'Plum Crazy' Challenger here in Oz ready to go will set you back AU$140,000. Guess that is why we buy so many of the true muscle cars and import them. Don't get me wrong the new Challengers, like the old ones, look awesome. I recently got to see one of each side by side at Mopar Sunday, check out the link below. This year was one of the best days ever.

www.moparsunday.com.au

Cheers
James

Okay i'll try this again.

Nice Duster Ben, good choice, good to see yet another Aussie here.

Jomoper my ute may be for sale soon if you want one of our cars so much.

In general the rule here in Oz is that you don't need to convert a left hand drive car if it is 30 years or older, you can drive it as is. If however the vehicle is newer it needs to meet set standards and be converted to right hand drive by an approved/licensed company. A new 'Plum Crazy' Challenger will set you back AU$140,000 ready to go. Guess that is why we import so many of the older muscle cars apart from the fact that they are freakin awesome. I recently got to see an old and a new Challenger side by side at Mopar Sunday and they are both really nice rides. Check out this years gallery at www.moparsunday.com.au . This year would have to be one of the best yet.

Cheers
James

Thanks all for your warm welcome. As for the hood scoop...I'm afraid I can't shed too much light on it as it was on the car when I bought it. All that I can tell you is that the lower part of the blacked out section is steel and was very professionally welded in judging by the underside of the hood. The upper section, the scoop, is either a molded plastic or very high quality fibreglass molding. One thing for sure is that I think I will have to remove the air grabber decal as it doesn't belong there although the color does break things up a bit, so I might replace it with an orange 440 decal.

As for the laws down here about left hand drive cars, basically any car that is imported here that is over 30 years old can be registered as a left hand drive vehicle. Pre 1972 cars have to have a few minor modifications to meet local compliance such as Headlights, retractable seatbels, and child restraint anchor points. It has got a little tougher over the last 6 months to import modified vehicles if they are outside original spec. which would make my Duster hard to import now with the 440, so I am glad it's here now and on the road.

Okay i'll try this again.

Nice Duster Ben, good choice, good to see yet another Aussie here.

Check out this years gallery at www.moparsunday.com.au . This year would have to be one of the best yet.

Cheers
James

Thanks James. Didn't quite make it to Mopar Sunday, damn carb problems! Dropped a new Holley 750 on it yesterday, a bit of fine tuning through the week and hopefully drive it up to the Nostalgia drags next Sunday.

Welcome to FABO, Ben, from SoCal! You're going to have fun here.
Nice looking Duster. The scoop looks like a Ford design - kinda like a Boss 429 style but smaller in scale. The vents in front of the scoop look like the ones used on '80s turbo LeBarons. Someone else chime in with opinions.

-
Back