Duster meets Challenger hood, thoughts please?

-

73 408 Duster

Reaction score
I have a 73' Duster that I just started doing a full custom, pro touring build on and have never cared for the factory hoods bulge / hood lines of the later Dusters. I have considered the fiberglass cowl hoods offered, but at the expense of having my car called a Nova would rather not use this style. A six pac hood would be a good option as well but I would like to find something more aerodynamic. For this car, I would really like to do something a little different. In my searching I found this Duster / Challenger hood picture online and am somewhat interested in doing something like this to my car minus the weird shape in the front.

I am assuming they probably just got both hoods and welded / grafted them together, has anyone ever seen something like this done? Thoughts or other ideas would be appreciated?

Thanks,
73 408 Duster

Attachments

• Hood Idea.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,330
I LOVE stuff like this! That looks cool as would an AAR Cuda scoop I think. Now depending on what you are more comfortable working with (metal or glass) you have some other options thanks to knockoffs

DSCN3895.jpg

Like it- gets rid of the hood 'beak' on the '73-up cars that I absolutely hate

I would have to see more to buy into this idea, I think whats holding me back from liking it is that the late duster is very square and the hood is very round. That said, I think I might like it on the Dart.

I've seen an AAR scoop on a Duster before and it was nice, anyone remember "Dustaar" from Mopar Action some like decade ago?

I've seen a shaker on a Duster, actually I think in one of our members avatars and it IMO is hands down the winner!

Whatever you decide keep this in mind... You must retain a hood to cowl seal.
Without it , the engine heat and vapors will enter the cabin though the fresh air vents.
Others have put many hours into building a hood that looks great only to discover they cant enjoy driving the car.

I had the Shaker photo chopped as my avatar but looked real. Love the idea go for it! I plan on the Shaker but it's not cheap lol

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it! I will be doing some measuring on my Duster hood and my friends Challenger hood over the next few days. If I go this route I will update with pictures.

Thanks,
73 408 Duster

I like it. I want to do this to my '68 "Cuda:

Attachments

• 1970-plymouth-cuda-493[1].jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 517
It's really not that hard, scamp and duster have the same front end so i say go for it and enjoy the new look.

Attachments

• IMG_3518.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 594
-
Back