Duster Rear Window Louvers

-
I'm not a big fan of the horizontal ones, but I could give it a go.

I'm pretty sure I drew the slats backwards, now that I look at your drawing 73 XD

windowlouver2.jpg

Better? Flipped them back the right direction.

1/2" space all around, 1/4" between louvers.

EDIT: oddly, my rearmost slat is my smallest one, versus it being the largest on yours haha. My three primary are 4", with the final being 3". Wide, that is.

That's fine. This is just the basic I threw together when I was awaiting measurements. The end can be lengthened, and the original gaps brought back. I'll get to work on that now. Hopefully I'll have it all done within the hour. What kind of depth are we looking for here in these slats? Obviously, too deep and it'll stick off the window too far. So what's the ideal?

here..i dont know if my numbers will add up correctly, i havent gone that far to make sure

Attachments

• mwl2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 240
windowlouver3.jpg

Ok then. How about that?

3/4" around the edges, 1/2" betwixt each slat, 3" slats (all of them) 1" depth on the slats. Seem about appropriate?

Has anyone ever had one of these windows out and laying flat on a table... is there any arc to the glass?

Having the bends cross vertically these plates are going to be dead nuts flat... I don't know how this might effect fit.

To arc the metal to match the window you would have to roll it slightly then weld the complete louver in... good luck keeping it in the shape you want after adding all that heat.

I can see this being a bit of a stumbling block...

i adjusted the bottom pic. my computer skills are weak at best. also the rear slat needs to be longer. it looks like its missing a slat. but i want to say thank you for taking the time to do this !

Attachments

• windowlouver3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 251
Has anyone ever had one of these windows out and laying flat on a table... is there any arc to the glass?

Having the bends cross vertically these plates are going to be dead nuts flat... I don't know how this might effect fit.

To arc the metal to match the window you would have to roll it slightly then weld the complete louver in... good luck keeping it in the shape you want after adding all that heat.

I can see this being a bit of a stumbling block...

yes there is a curvature, it is not completely flat . i will go out and see how much...the wire represents the window in comparison to a flat surface, there is more there than i originally thought. the wire may have a little too much arc, but not much

Attachments

• wg.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 244
i adjusted the bottom pic. my computer skills are weak at best. also the rear slat needs to be longer. it looks like its missing a slat. but i want to say thank you for taking the time to do this !

No it dont need another louver it looks looks great as it is. Remember the nut the window mounts with is around there

here is a couple pics of the 77 RR louvers

Attachments

• at.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 242
  • at1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 250
  • at3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 250
yes there is a curvature, it is not completely flat . i will go out and see how much...the wire represents the window in comparison to a flat surface, there is more there than i originally thought.
I remember reading that, because of the narrow roof, the '70 Duster had a record (at the time) amount of curvature for side glass, and that the project would have been scrapped if the engineer hadn't been able to make the windows work. They were having trouble making the regulators fit inside the doors and actually roll up and down...
The quarter window must have the same arc.

*reads about window curvature*

Well that's just f'ing /lame/.

Perhaps a thick seal that goes between the louvers and the glass could help correct that? or not?

EDIT: Out of curiosity, what was your planned construction process for this? I was designing with the idea that you'd take a flat sheet, the shape of the window, cut three sides around the louvers, bend that piece of metal up to make the slat, and then add the pieces on the sides to close them off. I am not very experienced in metal work, so if that's way off, forgive me. Doesn't seem like that small amount of welding would be too bad.

Alternatively, could cut the flat piece, bend the slats up, then put a single layer of fiberglass over the top maybe? cutting out the excess and allowing it to fill the gaps on the sides? Just a thought. I'm just spitballing to try to keep hope alive D:

*reads about window curvature*

Well that's just f'ing /lame/.

Perhaps a thick seal that goes between the louvers and the glass could help correct that? or not?

EDIT: Out of curiosity, what was your planned construction process for this? I was designing with the idea that you'd take a flat sheet, the shape of the window, cut three sides around the louvers, bend that piece of metal up to make the slat, and then add the pieces on the sides to close them off. I am not very experienced in metal work, so if that's way off, forgive me. Doesn't seem like that small amount of welding would be too bad.

Alternatively, could cut the flat piece, bend the slats up, then put a single layer of fiberglass over the top maybe? cutting out the excess and allowing it to fill the gaps on the sides? Just a thought. I'm just spitballing to try to keep hope alive D:

Your first description is how I would make them but they will be flat.... Thats the stumbling block.

I was looking at my car last night and if they were flat but stood off the glass enough to account for the arc in the glass I think they would still be recessed back enough into the body indent and roof trough and trim that they might be ok.... maybe the clips need to be small L shaped brackets that hold the Louver panel off the glass. There could be an additional bend added to the front edge that would blend the Louver back towards the B pillar molding....

Does any of that make any sense.... if not just send me the glass louver shape in cad and I will model it in Inventor when I have time. Something needs to be done to account for the curvature.

Makes sense to me. And sounds fine. Like I said, just toss a stip of weather stripping around it, and let that contour to the window.

Why have weather strip at all it wont look good. Just have it mount flat to the glass with "U" shaped clips and flat tabs to slide under the window trim where the window pivots.

"OMG" I have been away from the forum for a few days and look what you'all come up with!!!!!!!! To everyone in this thread who has put such a big effort into trying to get these to become a reality my hats off to each and every one of ya! I'm not sure if your pursuing this with sheet metal workers, or stamping, machine shops, but if there is anything I can do to see if anyone can help please let me know.. Funny how it all started with cardboard cut-outs, painted and photo-shopped on each of our cars.. then now to the CAD drawings.. Half of the research has already been done. Let me know..

19.... (Totally Excited!!!)

-
Back