Dusty's Demise

-

cricket

Rubberqueen
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Sorry I haven't been around for a bit. This year was a really rough one for me. I had stopped driving completely a couple of years ago, as my seizures began to haunt me again, and I refuse to drive unless I've been completely seizure free for at least a year. So, repairs on the Duster, unfortunately, started to take the back burner, while I still kept an eye out for a new transmission. She was drivable, yet still, no reverse.

Well, a couple of months ago, my husband was driving her as we were headed home from work. We were about to cross an intersection and the light was green. There were two flow through lanes, and two turning lanes. We were in the left flow through lane, as we'd be turning left just a couple of blocks ahead. Just as we were about to cross the intersection, a tourist who was in the right lane sees a Starbucks and decides he needs to get into the left turn lane, and veers in front of us, then stops. We were so close, we had no time to stop behind him. So, as my husband steps on the break pedal, Dusty hit the back of this tourist.

With the help of a few spectators, we get out of the middle of the intersection and into the Starbucks parking lot. Phone calls were made, information exchanged, and an hour later, we were slowly limping home. What cracked me up is during that time, a cop pulled into Starbucks drive through and didn't even concern himself to what was going on between us and the other driver.

The other driver totally admitted he was at fault, even though we hit him from behind, which automatically, the responsibility would have been on us. But, he was adamant about it being his fault. So, 90% of it went to him, and 10% went to us.

Luckily, no one was hurt...

Dusty, however, that's another story. She didn't make it. The front end was totally crushed. And after I had spent over a year, looking for a new fender and bumper! This time she wasn't repairable. The radiator was bent, the battery displaced and the hoses mangled. It was a sad sight to see.

So, Jeff and I made a very tough decision to let her go, and sell her for parts. Sad day to see her go. But, I had five fun years of driving her and trying to restore the pieces that were rusting away.

If you don't mind having me, I will remain a member, and hopefully, someday, when my health is in check again, I'll start looking for another car. I'd love to find another A-Body. I loved that car to pieces...literally.

In the meantime, I'll check in when I can to say hello and see what my friends here are doing. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. Stay warm & be safe.

Much love & aloha,
Cricket

Sorry to hear. At least nobody was hurt

The cats look happy!! Are they related?

Too bad about your luck.
Do you have any pictures of the car?
I don't see why you can't still participate in this website, it is for a-body enthusiasts as well as owners.......

...very sad to hear of dusty's demise...but no one was hurt...that is the most important thing...I shall raise a beer to dusty tonight.

..perhaps there could be a dusty 2 in your future ?

Grassy

My dear friends, thank you for your comments and concerns. Yes, luckily, no one was hurt. Just my heart, after putting so much work into her, although, she still needed tons! But, it was my first car, and my baby, and I loved her to pieces...literally. ;-)

67Dart273, you asked if the cats were related...no. But they were best friends, as you can see. The orange one, Bobcat, was about 16 when he passed on five years ago, and Frank, was 8, when he left us this last year. When Bob was ten, we took him out to the SPCA, and let him choose for himself a 'brother' or 'sister'. There were five kittens in cages where we took him, and I just put him down in the hallway. He passed up the first two without giving them the time of day and went directly to Franklin's cage and started licking him through the bars. That's how we knew which was going to be the new addition to our family. They were extremely close and never did anything apart, except when I took Bob out for his morning walks. Yes, he enjoyed walking on a leash around town and got mad at me if I skipped a morning, even if it was raining!! Unfortunately, they are both gone, but we have some great memories.

Dartnut, I do have some photos and will try to post some today or tomorrow.

Grassy, I would love to have another Duster, but, even before the accident, I hadn't been driving for about three years, which is why my husband was driving that night. I am an epileptic, and I refuse to drive unless I've been totally seizure free for at least a year. When I got the car, it was the first time I'd been seizure free for over a year ever in my life and I got my doctors okay to drive. I was seizure free for about six years, until the drug store started feeding me a generic of the drug I was taking and that was my downfall. Even when I tried to go back to the real stuff, I couldn't get it to work for me as well, so I hung my keys. I have always wanted a project car and a friend happened to have this one sitting in his front yard for quite a while. So, if I do drive again, I'd definitely look for another one. But, right now, my health and my business have been put up on top. I'm just grateful to have a husband and friends willing to drive me everywhere I need to go, and to live somewhere that I can walk most anywhere if needed.

Again, I thank you all for your support and friendship and I'll get some photos posted of the car...within the next day or two. xoxo

There's no reason why you can't remain a member. I myself have never owned an A-body, though there's still a ghost of a promise of one should the stars align correctly. Glad you and your husband weren't injured, and good luck to you in the future!

Okay as promised, here's a few photos taken after the accident. As you can see, the battery box got displaced, the front grill got pushed right up against the radiator, and the radiator was pushed back enough to scrunch up it's hoses, along with other problems.

Luckily, when we got out of the middle of the intersection, into the Starbucks parking lot, all we had to do to get her home was drive around back a Home Depot to our street on the other side, so we didn't have to deal with street traffic. She was very difficult to steer and literally limped home.

She just sat in our drive way for a few months as we contemplated on what to do, until a neighboring car shop offered to take her off our hands for parts. At that point, I was just so drained and frustrated with my own personal and health issues, I agreed.

I think about her every day, but as I said earlier, I need to take care of myself before I can think about getting another vehicle for me. This last year has been one of my worst, and I need to try and pick myself up again…mentally and emotionally before getting on the road again.

xoxo

Attachments

• IMG_1625-1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1619-1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1613-1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1609-1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 97
Here's a couple early shots of her, before and after 12-spray can paint job. ;-p

Attachments

• 01My first car-1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 09-1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 108
You, of course, are welcome here anytime!! You may feel the need to laugh, cry, share and talk about Dusty, and we'll be here for you! Bring along a story, some tips and tidbits, and some of your knowledge, and feel free to chime in anytime!! Sorry to hear about Dusty, and I agree with grassy, there should be a Dusty II in your future!! Sounds like you love em, and ya jus never know!! Geof

-
Back