Dying 7.25 rear end swapping to a better rear end.

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I have read so many posts and threads that my head hurts, there is just so much information some of which is conflicting some of which is confirming and I seek your kind assistance. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I am back to initial square 1 with my rear end on my 63 Dart. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Background- Since I converted my stock 7.25 with 9" drums with another 7.25 with 10" drums I have found this one to be terribly noisy. I have been obsessed with dreams about rear ends in late night nocturnal mental emissions and waking spells trying to absorb and understand all the information on this wonderful forum.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Right now I am unable to sleep with all this info running around my monkey brain and I want to get it down on paper for some help. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My story recap, I converted from drums to discs and have the front end aligned now and that is fine but the noise from the rear end is scary and I have minimal trust in its longevity. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have read tons of threads about 8.25s and 8.75s and 8.8s till my head hurts and want to be sure I am on track with it so I can make an intelligence researched decision on my next step so I would like to recoup what I believe I know here for group clarification please.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I don’t plan on high horsepower on this car, I plan to stay with the /6 working for a mild build for a long while for its fuel economy (gas is 4.50 here) at least for the foreseeable next few years and I have garnished enough information reading from members posts on the pros and cons of the .25 vs. the .75 rears. I also realize that there is mixed judgment on lots of this from all the posts. I am not considering disc on the rear since the 10" drums will suffice my needs. I am also not into laying rubber and am not considering a posi-traction rear-end.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So here is what I believe I know:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The 7.25 sitting behind my /6 may blow out depending on how I take off but Mopar also made many 318s to sit in front of the 7.25.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I have been told I can rebuild the 7.25 because it is the only way to get rid of the roaring and grinding, but is it economically worth it? Parts are expensive.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The 8.25 from an A-body will handle up to 400 hp depending on launching and I won’t be doing any dragging just enjoying the Delta-V. {I had a chance to buy one in hand for $100 but didn’t, kicking myself in the *** now, Alan!}[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The 8.75 from an A-body is strong but expensive to buy and rebuild but for heavy usage is the best route to take if I have lots and lots of power. (This seems way overkill for me so very low on the totem pole.”)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The ford explorer 8.8 will fit in my A-body if I cut 3" from the long side and put a short side axle into the cut side but may have other issues such as E-brake not working, etc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A 8.X rear end from a B or other X-body style will push my wheels out further due to the greater width of the rear end but may not be such a bad thing for stability as long as tires are not too big. (Mine are 195 75 R14 all around.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I know that jeep discs will mount onto the 8.25 and 8.75 but I don’t plan on doing this at this time, but I have one question: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Will a Cherokee jeep rear end fit under my 63 Dart if I change the spring mounts to the bottom, otherwise are there other implications to doing this or is it even possible? (I have one in my sights for $50 BTW)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Is there any other rear end that will just bolt in under my A-body? What about with minimum modifications? I do have a MIG welder.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I realize that if I move to the 8.X size rears that I will need to have the drive shaft shortened and the U-joints and yoke issues addressed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would appreciate corrections, clarifications and feedback on these assumptions because I fear my brain will explode from reading all the posts I have gone over again.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks in advance for all the great knowledge on this forum and the terrific help I see given and I have gotten but please be gentle on this worn out soul.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cheers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John[/FONT]

i think you are beating yourself up and over thinking it, as TXDart says, go through the rear end you have, a lot less headache. when was the last time you checked the gear oil? you would be suprised how much noise they make when they are dry.

OK , you say you converted the front from drum to discs . You didn't say the front is still small bolt pattern or now large bolt pattern.
I'm going to assume you now have late model large bolt pattern front disc brakes.
Large bolt pattern 7.25 rears from much later motel a-bodies are a dime a dozen. They bolt right in to your early A with very little effort or expense.

In your situation I wouldn't even consider a 8 3/4 or ford 8.8. overkill for what you want to do. rebuilding the 7 1/4 would be the easy way out, it fits already and it's in there already. The 8 1/4 would be a nice upgrade though.

That jeep rear might be worth it for $50 if it has all the disk brake stuff. From what I am reading the Cherokee rear is actually wider than a ford explorer rear. so that might not be worth trying to put in.

Thanks for the patient feedback, surely appreciated.
Yes I went to BBP wheels and swapped out the 9" for the 10", pissy thing is the 9" was in really good shape, nice n tight. On the 10" rear I can turn the drum more than an inch and a half before engaging the spider gears, the 9" was only a half inch or so.
The axles are different between the two different rears are the not? So swapping out parts from the old one wont work, other than perhaps the ring and pinon?
Thanks again. Wrote this all down last night at 1am cause I could not get to sleep, so took half an ambien after writing and was able to fall asleep.
Too much energy to waste on worrying!

EDIT: BTW yes on the gear oil, I replaced it with 75-145 when I installed it.

Cheers
John

-
Back