Dynamat Above Headliner???

-

neilskiw

Reaction score
Anyone ever use this or a similar product above the headliner? I've seen the regular headliner insulation on ebay, etc. Just wondering BEFORE I get around to installing the headliner. Ferris? ... ... ... Bueller? ... ... Anyone?

When I assembled my car I did indeed FatMat the roof under the headliner. Just make sure the roof metal is clean...clean...CLEAN or the matting *might* lossen up and drop off, and lay against the headliner. And believe me, putting in the headliner was one of the biggest challenges I had. I definitely wouldn't want to drop in (again...) because of the sound deadener falling off.

Sorry it took almost 20 minutes to get an answer to you..... 8)

Lowes has 15 SF rolls of self adhering insulation for about a buck a SF!!! Check it out in the plumbing department.

Thanks for the info. My wagon's roof is just bare steel, and man is it noisy. I recently resorted to sliding a few flat cardboard boxes I got from the maill room up under the cross members, and it made such a difference. I will look into one of these real products soon. I think I want to build a headliner like Waggin has in his.

I put a product called Hushmat on the inside of my roof last year and it stuck great. Just make sure it's clean before you stick it up there.

After removing the original fiberglass insulation from the roof there was a lot of light surface rust, glue, and fiberglass fuzz. I painted the roof with Zero Rust to give it a relatively smooth, "clean" surface. I then applied RAAMmat to reduce tinniness. Worked great. No problems.

raammat02img.jpg

I find that open headers drown out all those annoying noises.

I painted the roof with Zero Rust to give it a relatively smooth, "clean" surface.
I did something similar with Rust Bullet, then I used some of that aluminum foil-sandwiched insulation with the small air bubbles people love to pop. It's fairly inexpensive at LOWE'S and is easy to cut with scissors and install with 3M spray adhesive. Also covered the entire floor and up the inside of the firewall.

Jerry

Thanks for posting that link, OldVart. That is some very interesting material, and materials, and theories. Just as soon as I can break loose a little cash, I'll be all silenced up. :headbang:

From HotRodders Forum
alternative to Lizard Skin
Since RB's Obsolete had the Cool-Car ceramic insulation on backorder and did not inform me after 3 weeks of waiting on it I have done some research. Seems all the high priced ceramic paint on insulating materials aka Lizard Skin, Cool-Car and such are a simple mixture of an exterior latex paint with ceramic micro spheres added to it. Having been a radio control aircraft enthusiast I have used ceramic spheres mixed with epoxy to form various fillets on model aircraft. I would buy these ceramic spheres (Micro Balloons is what they are called) in bulk from either Aircraft Spruce or Wicks Aircraft Supply. A gallon bag of the spheres cost about $6.00. You can see the potential cost savings here. A one gallon pail of exterior latex house paint, add some Micro Balloons to it and you basically have the same thing as Lizard Skin or Cool-Car for a mere fraction of the price. A 2 gallon pail of Lizard Skin is about $160
Vince

-
Back