Dynamat

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Well, I finally got sick of not having the carpet in my car. I took the front piece out when I put in the floor shifter and didn't put it back in because I was going to Dynamat the floor. Today was that day. It took longer than I expected, but all the seats and seat belts had to come out. It was pretty easy to do. I doubled up on the hump in spots and especially around the shifter. I bought the roller when I got the Dynamat, but you could buy a small roller at any hardware store. I also bought their aluminum tape that I never even opened. It is quiter for sure, but I want to do the doors, roof and trunk still. I bought two 9 sheet boxes of Dynamat Extreme from Amazon. I used 10 2/3 sheets for the floor.
View attachment Dynamat 6.jpg

View attachment Dynamat 5.jpg

View attachment Dynamat 4.jpg

View attachment Dynamat 3.jpg

View attachment Dynamat 2.jpg

View attachment Dynamat 1.jpg

View attachment Dynamat.jpg

Quieter. Less vibrations especially. I imagine it will be much quieter with the doors done. When I do the headliner I am going to do the roof as well.

You know you can also do the trunk to quite it down even more. Same with the sail panels. Same with putting it behind the dash.

That looks really great :thumblef:. Does the Dynamat have stickem' on the back or did you just use the roller to fit the contours of the floor?

My carpets not bad, but could use to be replaced one of these days.....

The Dynamat is nothing more than tar with foil covering on one side. It has a paper backing that you peel off once you have test fit and cut to shape. The tar, needless to say, is sticky. Lay it down and roll into the contours. I learned the hard way, don't let the tar touch itself. You will never get it apart and you will throw away and expensive piece of Dynamat.

I didn't have the money for the Dynamat, but I had read on here about similar material at Lowes. So I went and bought some. It comes in 6" width and 25' lengths. The cost was about $18.00 p/roll. I just finished 2 nites ago.
you are right that stuff when it sticks together it's a wasted piece...
Here's what mine looked like..

Attachments

• Floor Pan 21 Soundproofed.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 289
Hey 19 Again - how many rolls did you need to do your car? I am going to be going the same route on the 69 RR I am currently building for a buddy.

Does the Lowe's stuff have a strong odor? That's what I read about it... that it smells strongly like tar and the smell doesn't go away. Whereas the Dynamat and similar are made from butyl rubber which only has a faint rubber smell that goes away.

True story? If NOT, what is this Lowe's material called specifically?

Eastwood right now has their Thermocoustic on sale right now for $20/5sq.ft.

Nice job with both applications! and you will feel/hear a difference.

I also used the Peal and Seal after searching/reading many many threads here on FABO mainly due to cost and availability.

Heres my original prior to application:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=91019

19 Again- did you use chrome duct tape or Peal and Seal with asphalt/tar backing?
That thing is smoother than a babys butt!

I also topped off with a Sound Deadener and mass backing on carpet. Overkill? maybe... but she sure is cool and quiet.

Attachments

• dart 010.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 236
I have no smell whatsoever. I didn't use the aluminum tape anywhere. It is thick and somewhat pliable. It took some doing to form it into the contours of the floor. The roller helped a lot. At some spots I would slit it so I could roll it into a contour better, then I would lay a strip over the slit. Pretty easy, and now that I finally have the shifter with all the console pieces installed, it is much quieter. The doors are next.

It's flashing material you can find it in the roofing supplies. Cost was about $16.99 a roll. I used apprx 5 rolls. It had no harsh odors and I used the aluminum tape to seal it up.

Bought some Peel & Seal this weekend. $18.05/roll that is 6" * 25'. That works out to $1.44/sq. ft. This is about 1/3 the price of Eastwood's stuff and WAY less than Dynamat. Can't wait to hear the results

Did the doors. So quiet I can talk in a normal voice. I bought another box for the trunk. Now I suppose I'll have to order the trunk mat or make my own carpet. Debating on doing the trunk lid where it will be open to the naked eye. I have the trunk off right now cutting the holes for the Go Wing brackets. The Go Wing should be on tomorrow.

View attachment Door dynamat.jpg

-
Back