• Promaxx

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • 440 Source

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Stick to your 452's, and do a little work

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
-
Cost of machining was the reason for me to buy Edelbrock heads, rather than more port work on 906 heads. 50 year old castings have already cost me one engine, learned that lesson, as a besides, benefit. 906’s are still somewhat available but, in my opinion, they need hardened valve seats and lots of my time.
I am under the impression that E-street heads have lower budget springs and less durable valve seats, keeping their cost down.

So let me "shore" up some of the posts above:
  • Jpar is say'n 10's off of my old thread of "10's on 5k". I also made it clear when I bought the long bed D150 that it clearly put a damper on the project, though we are still keeping the project on field. It's about the fun, not the goal. And that has nothing to do with the goal set in the first post
  • When Jpar says I'm almost 12's with my small block, he means it's been out to the track with a 200,*** mile 5.9 and ran 8.27 @ 82.5 mph. That would convert to about 13.10 being a truck. My Duster ran 12.9's witha 8.2 1/8 mile. They both went mid 1.8's in 60 ft
  • I won't be buying TF heads for this project. For those that don't know, it would completely be like putting one "snap-on" socket with all the Dollar General sockets. This truck was pulled from a field, and has been a roadkill project.
  • I'm very capable of "cleaning up" casting flaws in aluminum heads, and home inspecting them. I can also home port (but no bench flow), and lap the valves to seat to seal.
  • I did buy a new car trailer. Not for this particular truck, but for future plans. It can/will haul my cars to the drag way if I so chose too. When I took the truck last time, I drove it the hour down.
  • This thread is more about "heads listed" than the truck that the 440 is going into...... and the only goal we are talking in this thread is the 450-500 hp. keep that in mind

Last edited:
Call your local machine shops and see what they’d charge to go thru some old factory heads.

That usually helps with the decision making process.

Last edited:
Call your local machine shops and see what they’d charge to go thru some old factory heads.

That usually helps with the decision making process.
I would think cutting them, at least 3 angle valve job, check guides. I say "check guides" because this was a motor home engine with low miles. New springs/stainless valves. I'm pretty sure for the cost, I will end up liking the weight difference and flow difference with one of the low end new aluminum sets. And is really what I had in mind, and the purpose of the thread. To see if there is truly a clear winner of the 3 brands. I came into this thinking Promaxx, but my mind is open (just not to TF LOL :D)

Last edited:
Also, keep in mind this whole truck project (and those that have followed along with my channel know this) has been a test lab. This 440 will likely be a part of that. It may be "built" in segments. This means, I may just bolt heads and cam install and run it "just to see", even using the factory rockers. Then pull it back down, install new pistons, etc. But again, this has nothing to do with this thread.

Last edited:
It seems all roads lead to the goal post. It seems the 440 source, E-streets, and Promaxx are all suitable for the task O.O.T.B., and that really wasn't question as much as the Quality and and Which has the "best" chance pushing a few more ponies for the bucks, means they are really close in price

Ok I’ll try to simplify what I am trying to say. A stroker isn’t needed to run 10’s. There I said it. Let say he’s going with a big block at 3400 pounds. Stroker not needed to run 10’s. Let’s say it’s a small block at 3400 pounds. A stroker is not needed to run 10’s. Now can you do it with ported cast iron heads? Yes again
You're going to do perfect in the music politics forum... Taking nothing and making something...
Can you please quote me where I said he has to have a stroker to do 10 seconds?...

most motorhome engines can be very low miles but very hard stress...
Some had 6 pack rods.... and most never saw over 3500 rpms. Either way, no matter. I plan to stress it till it stretches :D

448, stock crank, ly rods, heavy trw pistons, 260cfm 906’s, Torker 2, 850 carb, 2” headers.......3670lbs.......10.60’s @126

That was In the mid-90’s.

Short block built in 1981, was my daily driver back then.
Drove the car from Sacramento Ca to Vt in 1983.

View attachment 1715848424
So a 448 is telling me that this block had been machined and bored? ly rods? Never heard of them but it leads me to believe they're not Factory... Aftermarket pistons?.. I assume all this was balanced?.... I wonder how much that tidbit of work would cost over 40 years later in nowadays terms?...
Also you seem to be completely making my point that this was a good foundation start. Not an old factory motorhome motor... It was rebuilt with a little forethought put into it...

448 is a .040 over 440, stock stroke.

LY are the std stock rods...... not the 6bbl/HD rods.

Trw stock replacement .040 over pistons for a 68/69 440. Stock weight (almost 1100g).

Not honed with a deck plate.

Factory steel crank turned 20/20

Rotating assy was balanced.

It was basically a stock rebuilt bottom end that got balanced.

Last edited:
So a 448 is telling me that this block had been machined and bored? ly rods? Never heard of them but it leads me to believe they're not Factory... Aftermarket pistons?.. I assume all this was balanced?.... I wonder how much that tidbit of work would cost over 40 years later in nowadays terms?...
Also you seem to be completely making my point that this was a good foundation start. Not an old factory motorhome motor... It was rebuilt with a little forethought put into it...

448 is a .040 over 440, stock stroke.

LY are the std stock rods...... not the 6bbl/HD rods.

Trw stock replacement .040 over pistons. Stock weight (almost 1100g).
:lol:

sorry

For reference:
I sent a pair of iron heads to Brian at IMM to have him finish them and set them up for a .600 solid flat tappet cam . I supplied most of the new valves (I was short a few exhaust valves) and the heads already had new guides.
Brian did the valve job, new springs, retainers and keepers. The bill was $900, about what I expected.
I would have been borderline stupid/crazy to put that kind of money into 915/906/452 heads, but......
These were professionally ported max wedge heads that went over 300 cfm.
BTW, I voted for the promaxx. I have a pair of rpms and victors new in the box.

For reference:
I sent a pair of iron heads to Brian at IMM to have him finish them and set them up for a .600 solid flat tappet cam . I supplied most of the new valves (I was short a few exhaust valves) and the heads already had new guides.
Brian did the valve job, new springs, retainers and keepers. The bill was $900, about what I expected.
I would have been borderline stupid/crazy to put that kind of money into 915/906/452 heads, but......
These were professionally ported max wedge heads that went over 300 cfm.
BTW, I voted for the promaxx. I have a pair of rpms and victors new in the box.
Nice! I'm going to ask "why Promaxx"? Price alone? Thanks

From what I have heard of the owners, I believe in the quality of the parts they use, and the quality of their assembly work.
Right now, this minute, I'm thinking the primary reason for any pick of the mentioned heads would be.... whose can I get?

318, my sb ProMaxx heads were very good OOTB. In disassembled them, nice and clean, bolted them ready to go. Your results may vary of course.

There the off shore heads worked on by the guys at ProMaxx here in the states.

318, my sb ProMaxx heads were very good OOTB. In disassembled them, nice and clean, bolted them ready to go. Your results may vary of course.

There the off shore heads worked on by the guys at ProMaxx here in the states.
appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

I have a customer doing a 440 now.
I told him to get some Stealths.
As of a couple weeks ago, they told him they’re a few months out.

Attachments

• wayne mcdertmitt.pdf
    645.7 KB · Views: 54
Tried to post my dyno run. 400 with stealth heads mild cam,

upload_2022-1-6_19-13-5.png

upload_2022-1-6_19-14-37.png

Iron heads would be fully capable of the hp your looking for. Youll just need a bigger socket when you port the heads.

Buddy had a 74 charger with a 440 that had 6 pack rods, factory crank , compression and head work done on 452's. only heavily modified cars beat him. This was the 90's. He never lost to the Buick grand nationals. Only the cars will the high octane fuels gave him a run or beat him.

You're going to do perfect in the music politics forum... Taking nothing and making something...
Can you please quote me where I said he has to have a stroker to do 10 seconds?...

Talking about taking nothing and turning it into something. Lol. I explained that a stoker wasn’t necessary for most. And someone asked if I ever built a stocker and I replied yes.
BA0C98C4-EF2B-4210-BB10-5A351AE94107.jpeg
3B05F5CB-05BF-4241-BDD0-C62F52A13E38.jpeg

-
Back