Eagle heads?

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have read that Eagle heads were on 2009 and later 5.7's. Is that ALL 2009 and later 5.7's?

Anyone have any idea what heads are on long block part #68278435AA?

THREE different Dodge dealers can't tell me. GRRR.

2009 and later 5.7 engines With VVT are considered the Eagle, yes. The OE Chrysler Cat is worst than the Gm cat for looking up PN's but this is a VVt eng
Heads vary very little other than being LH and RH.

Do you own This long block already?

You're a LONG way off from getting to a complete engine...compared to the performance 5.7 that comes complete, for what looks like around a $1000 difference. Assuming this is for a muscle swap, and not going back in a OE vehicle.
DCC-68303088AA- 5.7L Eagle Engine HEMI 383 HP Dressed, New, OE Crate Engine

if you're digging OE replacements, and you want a ruling on is ALL 09 engines are VVT and eagles? I'd be VERY Leary of something specifically 2009 especially if it might have came from a old body 2500 truck. Since they still had 6.1 models (which were non vvt, old reluctor) it makes part searching a PITA for things like a Waterpump, unless you have drilled all the way into the search clear down to model/engine/etc

Last edited:
Good info, Mr. Pace. I appreciate the input. No I don't own that long block, but I know where one had been had locally for a very good price, brand new still in the crate. The long block for me is ideal, as IF I do an Gen III swap into my 69 Dart I'd run carbs to keep it simple for now.

I was thinking that this long block, with maybe a cam swap would be a good way to get my feet Gen III wet!

Good info, Mr. Pace. I appreciate the input. No I don't own that long block, but I know where one had been had locally for a very good price, brand new still in the crate. The long block for me is ideal, as IF I do an Gen III swap into my 69 Dart I'd run carbs to keep it simple for now.

I was thinking that this long block, with maybe a cam swap would be a good way to get my feet Gen III wet!
Better be careful, the VVT reluctor is different than the earlier reluctors. So there are no cheap/easy ways to fire the coils on the VVt engine, even if only running a carb.
Unless you want to get into something completely universal like the Megasquirt systems, and i have my doubts for a novice trying to "get their feet wet" with something of the MS nature.
Also...the VVT is just that...Variable Valve Timing. The cams in the VVT engines are extremely tight, and you can't just lock out the OE cam unless you want the engine to pull from 4000-6000 only or from 1000-4000 only. (example) Ask me how i know.
You also can't just throw the early cam into the newer block w/o some trickery/adapters in the timing set area.

Long story short...if you want to run a carb, find a pre 09 engine. or start with a 32 tooth setup.
ATK HPE-SP97 Gen III Hemi 392CI Stroker Short Block Flat Top Pistons - 32 Tooth, Pre 2009

If you want to run efi, then buy something complete from a rollover, or something like these.
http://paceperformance.com/c-1186223-super-stores-mopar-gen-iii-hemi-crate-superstore.html#!engine_family=Small Block Mopar Gen 3 Hemi

-
Back