Early 1968 GTS Fender Tag question...

-

MICHAEL A SCUDDER

Newb
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not really good at pictures but I had one question about my fender tag. The number 4 under that is under the upper case "C". I looked in the David Wise book I have and it lists the "C" as a suspension option. I cannot find any information in his book about what that option could be. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Better picture

20210528_072652.jpg

pretty sure only big block gts came with a sway bar as std equipment

All GTS's came with a sway bar and heavy duty brakes, all three years 340, 383, or 440. Early GTS's did have the code on the fender tag...
My early 68gts was 100% stock including center nose cone had the HD suspension didnt recall the sway bar thought i robbed that off my 70 duster. Did do a full transplant from the gts into my 67 gt vert.
Dont see how ma mopar could call drum brakes heavy duty they were chitless @ 135 mph
ill look at my build sheet its been awhile iam old now :). Early only being 1967 ?

From a forbodiesonly post

"Heavy duty suspension with sway bar. C is for suspension. 4 is for code 624 which is the above. Does this match up to your car"

I know the below info is from 67 but some info is the same for 68

My 67 dart has the "rally suspension" package it has front KH disk, sway bar, 892/893 tortion bars, 6 leaf rear springs, heavy duty ball joints. And it's only a 273 2bbl.

The build sheet lists many codes for suspension components in verious places. This one aligns with the post from B bodies only.

Except the code heading says "WO. S. BAR"
Screenshot_20221122-221504.png

16691811366576570620440640923484.jpg

16691812148084856716781435371985.jpg

Screenshot_20221122-223546.png

Last edited:
From a forbodiesonly post

"Heavy duty suspension with sway bar. C is for suspension. 4 is for code 624 which is the above. Does this match up to your car"

I know the below info is from 67 but some info is the same for 68

My 67 dart has the "rally suspension" package it has front KH disk, sway bar, 892/893 tortion bars, 6 leaf rear springs, heavy duty ball joints. And it's only a 273 2bbl.

The build sheet lists many codes for suspension components in verious places. This one aligns with the post from B bodies only.

Except the code heading says "WO. S. BAR"
View attachment 1716014011
I learned to more or less look at the headers or at least just use it as a guide.
Look at 577 Not only does it say Tachometer the number with it is 577 yet if you have a Vacuum Gauge there is a 4 code there for 574

Alan

Thanks for all the replies. I wanted to double check what the C4 could be. When I got the car it didn't have a sway bar installed but there was an 1-1/8" sway bar w/ OEM metal and rubber one piece sway bar bushings in trunk. I took the K-member assembly and sway bar to a shop to have the whole thing rebuilt front suspension and all. The one piece oem sway bar bushings disappeared but I was able to get a correct A-Body front sway bar from and forum member here in NC.

My early 68gts was 100% stock including center nose cone had the HD suspension didnt recall the sway bar thought i robbed that off my 70 duster. Did do a full transplant from the gts into my 67 gt vert.
Dont see how ma mopar could call drum brakes heavy duty they were chitless @ 135 mph
ill look at my build sheet its been awhile iam old now :). Early only being 1967 ?
Would you prefer the 9" standard duty drum brakes? I have 10' heavy duty drums on my 383 GTS and they stop just fine. Now the 9" on my 68 Dart 4-door slant six were hope and pray you may stop, context is everything! The factory sway bars were .87 diameter on 340 and .89 on big block. 1-1/8 would be an aftermarket sway bar and is HUGE!

Would you prefer the 9" standard duty drum brakes? I have 10' heavy duty drums on my 383 GTS and they stop just fine. Now the 9" on my 68 Dart 4-door slant six were hope and pray you may stop, context is everything! The factory sway bars were .87 diameter on 340 and .89 on big block. 1-1/8 would be an aftermarket sway bar and is HUGE!
No but they do not stop just fine from 130 mph they fade badly after one hi speed engagement they become unsafe to continue until they cool
normal driving they work ok
ma mopar dropped the ball there imo
all 340 383 440 cars should have had the kh/disk std equipment or all v8 cars imo

No but they do not stop just fine from 130 mph they fade badly after one hi speed engagement they become unsafe to continue until they cool
normal driving they work ok
ma mopar dropped the ball there imo
all 340 383 440 cars should have had the kh/disk std equipment or all v8 cars imo

Most all performance musclecars from 64-69 came standard with drums. Discs were optional on most all too at an extra cost. Drums kept the standard price down.

Mopar did make discs standard on 70 Duster 340.

You got to get the gas out!

Apply - lift - apply - lift

Like when you go down a mountain you never keep the brake (disk or drum) applied continuously.

drums have been stopping semis for a century.

yes drums have their drawbacks vs disc, but their not the evil devil they are made out to be.

and yes I have had brake fade with front drums.

You got to get the gas out!

Apply - lift - apply - lift

Like when you go down a mountain you never keep the brake (disk or drum) applied continuously.

drums have been stopping semis for a century.

yes drums have their drawbacks vs disc, but their not the evil devil they are made out to be.

and yes I have had brake fade with front drums.
Getting off the gas was not thought about much when i was 19 yrs old now 60 now nor was it for most racing around in 340 383 darts with drum brakes back then it was a white knuckle experience and when not adjusted properly even more unsafe in 135 mph a-body
from 130 mph out racing on the hi way down to 80 mph drums are useless at that moment make the hair stand up on your arms
I do not scare very easy i had my 70 duster with spray 6100 in drive with 3.23s and 26.99 tall L-60-14s that was hauling the mail back then close to 150 mph give or take trans slip would never ever do that with drums 135 was scary enough
My first dart my 1st car 1968 dart 270 had the taxi package 10 inch drums 318 -727- 8 3/4 489 3.23 sg
I think iam pretty aware of pumping the brakes to not induce fade it was required with 10 inch front drums
There is a reason they went front disk a few years later for Saftey
It was night and day as you know 10 inch drums to kh 4 piston setup
They dropped the ball there all v8 cars should have had disk brakes
340 = 8 3/4 727 yup will give you the suspension the rear and the trans but skimp on the most important thing for a performance car the brakes
Even more sad the higher weight b bodys with 440s having drums all around foolish on performance cars
I said they work ok in normal driving
Having lived it in quite a few a-bodys they suck compared to disk setup hence i swapped every a body i had after owning my 70 duster with kh set
Have you seen the panic stop test from back in the day on you tube? epic fails with drums never mind from 130
Maybe I was more crazy and or foolish then most 20 yr old mopar guys on here from back in the day but i doubt it
I would not even want to go 80 mph with drums on a public road today you have to be on extra constant guard leave alot more room from the next car in front of you that most likey has abs and stops 75 feet or better from your prized mopar
Disk brakes make the car a pleasure to drive

Most all performance musclecars from 64-69 came standard with drums. Discs were optional on most all too at an extra cost. Drums kept the standard price down.

Mopar did make discs standard on 70 Duster 340.
Thats 100% correct

340 and 383 cars with folks running them 130 mph needed the disks
imo that was a ball drop
the disks should have been part of the 340 383 package
It was for sure to save on cost and keep prices down

Stopping my 360 dart sport with large bolt front disks was lots of fun in the snow - applying them made you go faster!

Thats 100% correct

340 and 383 cars with folks running them 130 mph needed the disks
imo that was a ball drop
the disks should have been part of the 340 383 package
It was for sure to save on cost and keep prices down
fortunately my car is a kelsey hayes front disc brake car.

67 Dart and Barracuda 383 cars came with factory manual disc brakes and were the best brakes I ever had on a 67-69 A-Body. I agree that they should have continued on the big blocks. However, I never had a problem stopping with the 10" drums, not too often you stop at 130 mph several times in a row with a street car, and even a street/strip car had plenty of time to cool down...

Interesting. My earlier build '68 GTS doesn't have a code under the "C".

P1010472.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back