Early A-Body Automatic Transmission Switch

-

PA65Dart

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Doge Dart with a 360 engine and 8 3/4 rear. It is currently a 3 on the tree and I want to switch to an automatic. I come into a lot of stop and go and, call me old, I'm tired of all of the shifting. I just want to cruise.

I was hoping to go to a 5-speed automatic instead of the normal 727 3-speed.

Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks

No matter what you choose you will have to do some tunnel and cross-member modifications. I haven't heard of anyone using a 5 speed but there are a few here that has used the 500 model Mopar o/d and the 2004r GM o/d trannys. You can use the search function and find a lot of info.

I have a 1965 Doge Dart with a 360 engine and 8 3/4 rear. It is currently a 3 on the tree and I want to switch to an automatic. I come into a lot of stop and go and, call me old, I'm tired of all of the shifting. I just want to cruise.

Thanks

Thanks
Why not use the 904? Small,light,easy to find and cheap.....

904 is a 3 speed. A-500 is a 904 w/OD tailshaft but it won't fit the skinny 904 tail shaft tunnel. May want to look into a GM THM200 R4 as it has a slender tailshaft but will require an adapter.

Thanks for the input all - I am new to the transmission area
I will research your comments and try to get up to speed
I am not sure what the "tunnel" is". Is that the part that in the engine that the shaft from the transmission goes into?
Like I said, I need to get up to speed

Thanks for the input all - I am new to the transmission area
I will research your comments and try to get up to speed
I am not sure what the "tunnel" is". Is that the part that in the engine that the shaft from the transmission goes into?
Like I said, I need to get up to speed
The tunnel is the part of the floorpan that covers the transmission.
63-66 tunnels are barely big enough for the 904. Later, 67-up ones are designed to clear the 727.
It's an easy graft and makes a huge difference

So I will need to modify the floor? Jeez
Have to review that with the mechanic! I know we are going to put the shifter on the floor so I guess it would be modified anyway.

-
Back