Early A exhaust manifold questions

-
64-66 A v8 ex manifolds will work with any stock transmission in a 64-66 A 67 and up not so good.They are for an engine bay that is a couple inches wider than the earlier 64-66 .I set my 65 Barracuda up with a 318 and a 4 speed A833 64 -65 transmission .Had bo problems at all and yes,I used the little pipes .If you can't find them make some.

View attachment 1715276122

Good to know...I plan on swapping a mild 273-360 4-speed (currently 170 3-speed) in my wife’s 66 to drive and I kinda want to run the stock 273 manifolds. One question...what size bell housing did you use? BTW....Very nice looking engine bay you have!!

9B898CE6-E3D3-4290-B0FA-9D44CE84E318.jpeg

Good to know...I plan on swapping a mild 273-360 4-speed (currently 170 3-speed) in my wife’s 66 to drive and I kinda want to run the stock 273 manifolds. One question...what size bell housing did you use? BTW....Very nice looking engine bay you have!!

View attachment 1715276136
I used the stock 273 bell with the stock 273 flywheel.It will work with a 318 but if you use a 360 it won't.They are internally balanced and have a fifferent flywheel that is larger so you need the bell for it as well. The 273 uses a 10 in clutch the 360's is 10 1/5 .I was going to use a 360 in a 65 valiant I had with a 4 speed.Had all the right stuff for it.The 273 manifolds have smaller ports so the flow won't be very good because of the turbulence that step will create . I overcame this by buying a set of Dougs D Dart headers .This was 15 years ago and back then they were like $ 850 or more.If you are going to drive this car you'd be wise to stick with either a proper HIPO 273 or a worked 318 . There is just so much less to overcome and on the street do you really need more than that can give? .I had a proper 273 Commando in another Barracuda ant that mother was plenty fast.You hit the gas and it wound right up to 6000 rpm without breaking a sweat. A 318 with a 4 speed and 355 gears out back is a nice package.

I am still on the bubble, you guys are making a v8 look soooooooo good but on the other hand, the simplicity of a worked slant...... also sounds good and easier.

20181227_143756.jpg

i thought i saw some support tubes in my parts pile. So now i know where they go. Not planning to use the manifolds, unless the headers wont work.

My 76 dart sport has a goofy shaped left side manifold too.
Its auto/power steering. I should compare the two side by side.

i thought i saw some support tubes in my parts pile. So now i know where they go. Not planning to use the manifolds, unless the headers wont work.

My 76 dart sport has a goofy shaped left side manifold too.
Its auto/power steering. I should compare the two side by side.
What a great discussion we are having here. Can't beat FABO!

So what makes the difference between a v8 and a commando v8??

I have seen some 65 cars with these v8 emblems and some 65 cars with these commando v8 emblems

s-l400 (12).jpg

s-l400 (11).jpg

Previous owner pulled the emblems, and i havent found them. Guess i should look closer. May have to weld more holes shut. He welded the holes on the trunk already. And kept the emblems. I’m assuming.

So what makes the difference between a v8 and a commando v8??

I have seen some 65 cars with these v8 emblems and some 65 cars with these commando v8 emblems

View attachment 1715276293

View attachment 1715276294

As far as exhaust manifolds go, nuthin. Not a damn thing. The manifolds are the same for all 273s. As mentioned, there is a slight difference in the driver's side in some years, but as far as "HP" 273 manifolds, there were never any.

Pistons that bump the compression ratio to 10.5:1, and a slightly hotter cam. 4 bbl carb, and that’s about it, all other internals are the same!
Dual point, finned valve covers with chrome oil fill and pcv caps (from the Hemi), Chrome un-silenced air cleaner. Larger diameter single exhaust. You either got a 273 2 barrel V8 or you got the Commando 4 barrel with all the above mentioned goodies.

And according to my production books, the Commando was only available in the Barracuda in 65 and not in the Valiant until 66 but those numbers appear to be totals and no breakdown for 2 and 4 barrel.

Last edited:
Interesting! According to my literature (and production figures provided by Ulf), the Charger 273 - sane as the Plymouth Commando - was available in 65 in any model EXCEPT the wagon - from 4 door sedan to the top of the like GT. When I get home I’ll post a breakdown for each model.

Last edited:
Interesting! According to my literature (and production figures provided by Ulf), the Charger 273 - sane as the Olymouth Commando - was available in 65 in any model EXCEPT the wagon - from 4 door sedan to the top of the like GT. When I get home I’ll post a breakdown for each model.
I needed to edit my post. According to the Galen option code book there is no 4 barrels listed for any Plymouth model other than the Barracuda. The 65 Plymouth sales info on the Hamtramck website lists the 273-4 available for the Valiant, all models except for the wagon.

Last edited:
I needed to edit my post. According to the Galen option code book there is no 4 barrels listed for any Plymouth model other than the Barracuda. The 65 Plymouth sales info on the Hamtramck website lists the 273-4 available for the Valiant, all models except for the wagon.

Govier has been known to be wrong on a number of things; I'd probably take his info with a grain of salt!

Interesting! According to my literature (and production figures provided by Ulf), the Charger 273 sane as the Plymouth Commando - was available in 65 in any model EXCEPT the wagon - from 4 door sedan to the top of the line GT. When I get home I’ll post a breakdown for each model.

According to the figures Ulf provided me, Charger 273/235 motors were installed in:
247 170 2 door sedans
25 170 4 door sedans
112 270 2 door sedans
591 270 2 door hardtops
275 270 4 door sedans
121 270 convertibles
5631 GT 2 door hardtops
558 GT convertibles
and 0 in any 170/270 wagons
for a total of 7560 installed in all models out of 105557 Dart V8's produced

Govier has been known to be wrong on a number of things; I'd probably take his info with a grain of salt!

According to the figures Ulf provided me, Charger 273/235 motors were installed in:
247 170 2 door sedans
25 170 4 door sedans
112 270 2 door sedans
591 270 2 door hardtops
275 270 4 door sedans
121 270 convertibles
5631 GT 2 door hardtops
558 GT convertibles
and 0 in any 170/270 wagons
for a total of 7560 installed in all models out of 105557 Dart V8's produced
Sometime years back I remember seeing that info on the internet. I was chasing down info for my first car, a 65 Dart 270 post with a Charger 273 and a 3 speed on the column. I remember seeing the 112 figure for the 270 sedans and I believe 8 with a 3 speed. Yes the Galen books are not perfect and he does cater to higher end E and B bodies. But not all of us are privy to the info that Ulf has available. I would consider more of Galen's info to be incomplete than inaccurite.

I would agree with that statement that his info is incomplete than inaccurate.

1. Will 67+ 318 or even 360 exhaust manifolds fit and work in an early A (65 valiant)??

2. What's the difference between 273 "super commando" and regular 273 exhaust manifolds?

3. Would any other car line exhaust manifolds fit an early A car (65 valiant), example, I have a pair of 318 ex. Manifolds from a 68 coronet. Would they fit the 65 valiant?

Any other facts and info on early A v8 exhaust manifolds?
You can use a 1973 340 manifold on the driver side, 2.25 exit size and a 96/97/98 Jeep Grand Cherokee passenger 2 1/8 exit on the passenger in an Early A Body without power steering. Auto or four speed. This is an upgrade over the 273 and 318 stockers. If you go this route you need to move the oil filter adapter towards the front.

Last edited:
Mopar shouldda done some things differently. That's all there is to it. These are 2" primary pipes in a first generation Camaro. Needless to say it's a big block. I love Mopars, but damn, the price you have to pay for bein different. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View attachment 1715276124
YEAH, IT`S EASIER TO MAKE A CHEVIE GO FAST TOO, WAY CHEAPER !

With a bunch of time, the 273 manifolds can be gasket matched and mold flash cleaned up inside. Common tools, files, abrasive belts. Don't stop there do intake, heads, and match combustion chambers.
While 273 stock engine tone sounds sweet, a well ported engine even better.

Cost prohibitive for me. Extrude honing. I don't think it removes as much material as it does smooth the path. It would be a interesting comparison. Good for a few horsepower I imagine.
extrude hone.jpg
extrude.jpg

SB or slant!? There is the question! I say, people with several mopars in the herd, the best of all worlds is a good SB with decent compression, usable cam, good gearing,.... a good slant ( not wore out), ......and a BB in a B body. Maybe a mdern Hemi in something would round out the list!!

SB or slant!? There is the question! I say, people with several mopars in the herd, the best of all worlds is a good SB with decent compression, usable cam, good gearing,.... a good slant ( not wore out), ......and a BB in a B body. Maybe a mdern Hemi in something would round out the list!!
Wrong thread?

-
Back