Early A exhaust manifold questions

-
The OP 's last piece mentioned here sanity for maybe wanting a small block instead of slant!!!! Sorry , not trying to derail the thought process here!! SORRY!!! all
No problem. Yep, a v8 swap isn't too hard except for the exhaust and exhaust isn't a big issue unless your engine needs more. Stock manifolds, 340 manifolds, shorty headers, long tubes, fenderwells? That is the question.

First, I’m not clear on what the goal is.

As far as 273 exhaust manifolds the stock 64-66 are fine to use on a stock power type of 273-318.
If you want to make a lot of power there might be a few other model year pieces that work but I can’t really give any advice.

Sounds like you have a ‘65 Valiant and are thinking of a V8 swap. Unless you already have a complete donor for ALL of the parts needed I wouldn’t bother. It’s a great idea but why not just have a nice running slant? There’s plenty to do with a ‘65 ( because it’s 50 years old) to make it a nice driver like front disc brakes, don’t forget dual master, wiring upgrades, suspension refresh... etc.
Just think about your goal and make it manageable.

And according to my production books, the Commando was only available in the Barracuda in 65 and not in the Valiant until 66 but please read post 39.
I had a 65 Valiant 100 with a factory Commando with 4 speed in 1966- one prior owner- racer. Cousin had a 65 Signet with a Commando and auto- bought new in 65 They definitely were built

I am still on the bubble, you guys are making a v8 look soooooooo good but on the other hand, the simplicity of a worked slant...... also sounds good and easier.

View attachment 1715276156

I have had a V8 and now a slant in my Valiant. the slant isn't as fast but, I like it. its a Lot easier to work on too.
mine had a couple shims under the mounts and some magnum manifolds on it.

I had a 65 Valiant 100 with a factory Commando with 4 speed in 1966- one prior owner- racer. Cousin had a 65 Signet with a Commando and auto- bought new in 65 They definitely were built

Can't say for sure if it was factory (looked like it). Back in the late '70s, I had a 65 Valiant 200 4dr sdn, 273 4bbl, 904 auto, 7 1/4 SG rear. Had all the commando dress up items. Manual brakes, and steering, single exhaust.

I shot from the hip on the 65 Valiant 273-4 information and sorry for it being incomplete . The discussion did bring out the production figures though. The Galen book includes total 273 production and no breakdown for the 2 and 4 barrel engines. There is plenty of information from Ulf posted by @65 Dartman in post 41 (thanks) and sales information from the Hamtramck site to prove the HP 273 was available in all Valiant models except for the wagons and Barracuda models.

Hi. New to this forum. Just had to say something on this. Bought new 1966 Dart G/T 273/235 and the air cleaner was a Commando.

My 65 Barracuda was 273/4bbl.
Engine is gone, but i still have the manifolds.
I have headers that may or may not fit. If they wont go in the barracuda, they will go in the dart.

Hi. New to this forum. Just had to say something on this. Bought new 1966 Dart G/T 273/235 and the air cleaner was a Commando.
Dodge branded their 273/235 engine a "Charger 273" and Plymouth branded theirs a Commando 273". Same engine, different branding. There were more Barracudas produced with the 273/235 engine, so the "Commando 273" name kinda stuck, but to be correct, your chrome air cleaner should have the "Charger 273" pie pan or decal.

That kind of stuff can happen on the assembly line. There's probably a Barracuda that got a "Charger" air cleaner. Lol

That kind of stuff can happen on the assembly line. There's probably a Barracuda that got a "Charger" air cleaner. Lol
Yes it happened more than people know. I worked right near the Lynch Rd & Hamtramck assemble plants. I worked on all of these cars in the 60's 70's and 80's and still do. They would not shut down the assembly line for lack of parts. They would ship them in for the other plants. Not only Mopar but GM and Ford also.

Yes it happened more than people know. I worked right near the Lynch Rd & Hamtramck assemble plants. I worked on all of these cars in the 60's 70's and 80's and still do. They would not shut down the assembly line for lack of parts. They would ship them in for the other plants. Not only Mopar but GM and Ford also.
there was a story about a Mopar that got some Plymouth badging on the front and some Dodge badges on the back. Myth? Thats a Monday AM build right there.

o so. 66 back b and c bodies had same manifolds. all sub frames were same as the new cars. charger and new 300 chassis r same. .o a bodies 64 had a completely diff setting in eng compartment. was developed to compete with mustang. we had no camero. the a bodies used as u can buy mounts an stuff 4 64 and b 4 darts valints was plimouth.

-
Back