Early A front suspension with rack & pinion steering

-

moparfrank

Reaction score
I am looking for a front suspension with rack and pinion steering for a 62 Lancer project that I am working on. I need more room in the engine compartment so the steering sector must go. Who makes a unit that works in a very early A body?

I'm not trying to be a "Debbie Downer" but, unless you have a lot of time, an extraordinary level of mechanical skill and/or very deep pockets, I would abandon the idea of putting rack & pinion on your early A-body.

That said, I am not aware of any company currently making such a setup that easily and affordably fits an early Lancer.

Anyone else know?

`

I believe Hemi Denny makes an early A k member now, pretty sure RMS also has one.
not cheap, but well engineered and quality pieces are offered by both.

I am looking for a front suspension with rack and pinion steering for a 62 Lancer project that I am working on. I need more room in the engine compartment so the steering sector must go. Who makes a unit that works in a very early A body?

call RMS.. best set up made for these cars.. you'll love it..

www.reillymotorsports.com

Hours Are 9am - 5pm Eastern Time.
Phone - 570-443-7440

Thanks everyone. I am familiar with Magnum Force and RMS and they are nice units but very expensive. Usually over 6k by the time you are done. I have a Magnum Force B body set up that was about $6500 when done. Thanks for the Hemi Denny lead. I wasn't aware of his set up. I talked with him today and it looks like he has a nice setup at a considerably lower price. Fabrication is not a problem for me as anyone who has seen my 65 Coronet golf cart or some of my other creations-modifications will attest to. If Hemi Denny's set up doesn't pan out there is a junk Mustang that one of my sons has that will be donating it's front suspension for my Lancer.

You can build one by yourself much cheaper than RMS :)
I use Viper front shocks, A-body 1975 spindle with disk brakes, I wide the frame so it is the same wide as 1975 A-body. A lot of welding and some head ache :) but I think it will be great :)
steering rack is BMW E46 2002.
Ackermann and Bompsteering check :)

Valiant V200 1962 5.9 Magnum, A518, 8.1/4"...

View attachment valle1.jpg

View attachment valle2.jpg

View attachment valle3.jpg

View attachment valle4.jpg

View attachment valle5.jpg

View attachment valle6.jpg

View attachment valle7.jpg

View attachment valle8.jpg

or just put a mustang 2 universal front crossmember in it

how about a rear rack bolted across the frame rails where the centerlink is? Custom rod ends to existing spindles and a near 90 degree U joint from the steering column down through the floor to the rack? Forget the bumpsteer...Thats probably the deal breaker. Plus you'll have a 80 foot turning radius. Many imports have the rack mounted to the rear of the engine bay. Front rack is much more tidy. tuck it under the K member front lip.

My vote is for this. I have HemiDenny set up on my car. very nice piece. You will love it.

-
Back