-
Status
Not open for further replies.

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for an Early A Lower Steering Column Seal, which is the little round rubber piece that goes on the end of the column, in the engine bay
anyone have one in good shape?
I heard the early b-body cars used the same piece as well

thanks

They are all cooked from what I've seen. There are repops out there for around $60. But that's alot for a chunk of rubber and plastic. There was a guy making nylon inserts to support the shaft, and plug it at the same time. I lost the link for that guy when my last computer turned into a smokin pile.

There's a guy that sells them for $28, I just bought a few. They were very difficult to find on ebay, but I will try to post the link.

hey 65 valiant, your gonna laugh at me for this but I used a gas tank grommet for my column shaft in my Duster because I could not find one. I sealed it with some black silicone afterwards. Worked for me.

I think I got mine from RT Specialties. I have seen big fat o rings listed other places but I don't think they are correct or work that well. I installed mine a couple weeks ago and what a difference it made. No more hot air blowing on my feet and a whole lot quieter too. Wish I had snapped some photos though.
If I were to do it again, I would pull the column, the wheel and the shaft, then re-assemble. I rebuilt my steering coupler also and that cross pin was a booger to get out. I ended up heating it up and driving it out with a air chisel. You have to remove the pin to install the seal because the inner part of the seal is nylon and not rubber. You can't stretch it over the pin. tmm

Attachments

• Coupler.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 207
or you could do as one of the users on here did and put in a bearing
1" Insert Bearing, ER16, ER-16, SER205-16, NEW

found on ebay as part listing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-Inser...344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4148e02128

that way you get support, hot air blockage AND it doesnt wear out!
for between $6 to $10 plus shipping
I did my spare one but I had to take the shaft out of the column and add the bearing,slide it back in the column and then position it. does it look stock? nope but it works!

That is a great idea 66dvert. Got any pictures of it installed?

Thanks!
no I don't but I think one of the members on here has a write up about doing it on his. I know that on mine it was a tight fit.

I have the column up in Michigan. While I'm up there for the cruise I'll see if I can get pic's of it and I am bringing it back with me to finish up rewiring it with correct wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back