Early A Ragtop thread

-
Say, does anyone here that owns a dart vert have a picture of the hold-down mechanism for the manual top? The top is spring loaded so sometype of strap or latch was used, not sure which.

Do you mean at the header, top of the windsheild, that keeps the top closed? Or what holds the top down in the well when it's...down?

Do you mean at the header, top of the windsheild, that keeps the top closed? Or what holds the top down in the well when it's...down?

When it's down. Since the top is spring loaded there has to be something that keeps it secure. If you have that could you take a pic and post it?

Arg, not sure on that one. Someone else will have to chime in...

My Valiant has a power top, I converted the Dart I had from a power to manual top but it's been 8 years, I don't exactly remember how it was held down.

I want to say that the way the spring was positioned with the top down kept it from popping up until you pulled it up an inch or three, but there may have been a latch on the top frame itself. I could be wrong but for some reason I want to say that's how it was; wish I could be of more help.

My Valiant has a power top, I converted the Dart I had from a power to manual top but it's been 8 years, I don't exactly remember how it was held down.

I want to say that the way the spring was positioned with the top down kept it from popping up until you pulled it up an inch or three, but there may have been a latch on the top frame itself. I could be wrong but for some reason I want to say that's how it was; wish I could be of more help.

There is a flat metal strap bolted to the arm rest pieces on each side Both appear to be adjustable, At the top is what appears to be a rivet that maybe help another stap or lever?

I am thinking about adding some Cragars and repro Blue Streaks...

!BTPIm3gBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkUEjlLmVks,BKHYGZTseQ~~_3.jpg

!BTPULs!!2k~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLlyV52BKHYnvnO5!~~_3.jpg

!BTPPJj!!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DEEjlLl1e6UBKHYZSVT(!~~_3.jpg

!BTPPn5!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBKHY,sdpe!~~_3.jpg

Hey Bill, are you running the HiPo exhaust? Resonator only?

Hey whodat, what size tires are you running? I ordered my Cragers today
195/65-14 front and 215/70-14's on the back. I know that there's nothing unique about Cragars on an early-A, but they really compliment the body style. It's like they were made for these things.

Bill Adams, that is one awesome early A convertible! 273 Hi-po with four speed and a console.. very cool. And it looks fnatastic!
I don't think I'd want the repro blue streaks, they are bias ply tires; it's too bad they didn't make these look like the original but as a radial tire so.

195/65-14 front and 215/70-14's on the back. I know that there's nothing unique about Cragars on an early-A, but they really compliment the body style. It's like they were made for these things.

They really make the vert stand out. I have a set of Cragers on order.

Ok here is what I was talking about. One of the metal straps appears to have broken off. First two pics are the Driver side and second two are passenger side

64 Dart  Top Bracket 1.jpg

64 Dart  Top Bracket 2.jpg

64 Dart  tOP Bracket 3.jpg

64 Dart  Top Bracket 4.jpg

This is something that I always wondered about. On my 65 it had something similar. The metal came up and just kind of folded over the top. Always thought it was a horrible design if it was original.

If you give me a chance I will snap some shots and post of what I did with mine.

This is something that I always wondered about. On my 65 it had something similar. The metal came up and just kind of folded over the top. Always thought it was a horrible design if it was original.

If you give me a chance I will snap some shots and post of what I did with mine.

Thanks, appriciate that.

Some great cars here! I bought my Dart in '94 and have had it all over the country and Germany as well. It currently has a 318 w/ a marine 4-bbl carter setup and Hurst 4-spd. Fun car!

4620_1015803812718_1753797108_27413_8058935_n.jpg

-
Back