Early A steering wheel options??????

-

Reaction score
Well I have given up on finding a new stock wheel for my 1965 Dart. And upon close examination of both wheels I have repair is out of the question. Just to many little hair line cracks to fix, done were you just can not sand them once they are filed. And I am super picky so a shoddy repair is out of the question.

So my question is what are people doing for steering wheels on there early A bodies? Any pic would be super helpful! I just really want it to look right. Like it could have back in the 60's. As the hole point of this car is to be a vintage drag car, that looks like it could have in 65 or 66. I found this grant wheel that dose not look to bad ( other than the cheesy center cap) on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/61-66-Dart-...r:1964|Model:Dart&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e6a0aed03

I am still going to hold out hope that some one will make new wheels for these cars some day. But I need some thing that looks ok in the mean time.

Thanks for any help!!

If you are going to pay that amount why not go with an original woodgrain wheel? Alot of people use those and they sell for about the same amount.

Not sure about you lot in the US but in Australia we had a 3 spoke wheel that was synonomous with our performance chryslers.
This Grant wheel is very similar (is also similar to your Tuff wheel) and is on my early Abody.
it's only abt $30 from Summit and is called a Grant Challenger.
Just throwing it out there in case it turns you on.

27wvq03.jpg

For fun look up MoonEyes.They have vintage Grant style wheels. I wanted a white one, in 15 or 16 inch diameter and they had it. They also have metalflake colors. Kramer Automotive has early A-B body repo wheels..

For fun look up MoonEyes.They have vintage Grant style wheels. I wanted a white one, in 15 or 16 inch diameter and they had it. They also have metalflake colors. Kramer Automotive has early A-B body repo wheels..

Thanks,
Looked up Kramer. They only have B body wheels. Like every one else. Also looked up the MoonEyes. Looks to be the same grant wheel I was looking at. At least it looks like it to me.

I got to looking and that moon wheel is a little deferent. I kinda like it. Can even get a moon center cap for it. Would look kinda vintage.

here is a grant steering wheel that My friend gave me it was on is chevy but I had some machine work done on it so now it is a MOPAR beep beep I put it on my 65 Barracuda

Attachments

• 64 Dart GT 076 (Large).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 396
= I found this grant wheel that dose not look to bad ( other than the cheesy center cap) on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/61-66-Dart-...r:1964|Model:Dart&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e6a0aed03

I am still going to hold out hope that some one will make new wheels for these cars some day. But I need some thing that looks ok in the mean time.

Thanks for any help!!

You've got good taste. That's the wheel I went with, much for the same reasons. I thought the horn button looked like crap too, so I reused the factory one.

Attachments

• SANY3234.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 361
You've got good taste. That's the wheel I went with, much for the same reasons. I thought the horn button looked like crap too, so I reused the factory one.

That looks great!!!!!!!!!
Hoe did you reuse the factory center cap?? I love how it looks!

I found a black standard steering wheel with no cracks on the outer ring. However it has some small ones in the center. Let me know if interested and I'll get some pictures.

That looks great!!!!!!!!!
Hoe did you reuse the factory center cap?? I love how it looks!

Thanks. Using the factory button was pretty easy. Take the round black part of the factory horn button and screw that to the fiber piece that comes with the Grant wheel adapter. Then use the spring from the horn kit under the factory emblem.

Yes , even though they are listed as B body wheels, they look the same as the A. Same goes for the turn signal switch.I needed one for my 63 Valiant and found that the listing was for B but was the same as the one that was in the A. The more you look at the MoonEyes wheels the more they grow on ya. After I got the white wheel I thought "Damn,I shoulda got the red metalflake"Still might...

Another possibility for you and maybe easier to find.
A mate over here used the original wheel off my 69 barracuda on his early A.

Yea,
I thought the same thing, till I realized that the B-body wheels (like that new one) have the two spokes horizontal. Were the A-body wheel has them at an angle toward the bottom. I am sure a person could use one if they used a B-body horn ring and center cap.

You are right on the moon wheels. I am liking the looks of the black one more and more. And I think I am going to get one of there three gage sets. I love the looks of those old school moon gages and there tac!

Yes , even though they are listed as B body wheels, they look the same as the A. Same goes for the turn signal switch.I needed one for my 63 Valiant and found that the listing was for B but was the same as the one that was in the A. The more you look at the MoonEyes wheels the more they grow on ya. After I got the white wheel I thought "Damn,I shoulda got the red metalflake"Still might...

Thanks,
But I am stupid and do not quite understand how you did it. Where did you get the chrome piece that your center cap emblem is sitting in? Mine goes in a horn ring. Is yours off of a wood grain wheel?
Thanks!!!!

Thanks. Using the factory button was pretty easy. Take the round black part of the factory horn button and screw that to the fiber piece that comes with the Grant wheel adapter. Then use the spring from the horn kit under the factory emblem.

-
Back