Early A swap, oil pan problems

-

Rick Wellman

Reaction score
ive got a 65 cuda and I’m doing a v8 swap. Putting in a 2001 318 magnum. Everything’s is going good till I get to the oil pan. Bought one from summit, it don’t fit. Hits on the oil pump and won’t go down. Tried a 64 273 pan. It fits all but the rear seal on the bearing cap. It likes about 3/4 “ seating down on the rear main cap. All bolt holes go down flush but there’s this big gap over the rear cap. Tried the original oil pan off the 318 magnum. Fits good but hits on the center link. It’s a rear sump pan. So can anybody tell me what pan I need. I know it has to be a center sump pan to clear the center link and the k frame. I’m at a loss here. Thanks

ive got a 65 cuda and I’m doing a v8 swap. Putting in a 2001 318 magnum. Everything’s is going good till I get to the oil pan. Bought one from summit, it don’t fit. Hits on the oil pump and won’t go down. Tried a 64 273 pan. It fits all but the rear seal on the bearing cap. It likes about 3/4 “ seating down on the rear main cap. All bolt holes go down flush but there’s this big gap over the rear cap. Tried the original oil pan off the 318 magnum. Fits good but hits on the center link. It’s a rear sump pan. So can anybody tell me what pan I need. I know it has to be a center sump pan to clear the center link and the k frame. I’m at a loss here. Thanks
Was car originally a V-8? If it was a slanty you need a V-8 center link. Even with a V-8 center link you may still have
problems as that is a different engine than came stock in those cars. That would be the first thing to look at. The K
members were the same for 6 or 8 up to 66. 67 and up, the K member is different between 6 and 8 cylinder.

It had a /6 but I changed it over. Put a v8 center link and a v8 k member. Did not know they were the same up to 66. Took a 64 cuda v8 k member and took out my k member. I guess I didn’t have to change it huh ? Just can’t seem to find the right oil pan. I’m bout ready to cut 2 oil pans and make one !

It had a /6 but I changed it over. Put a v8 center link and a v8 k member. Did not know they were the same up to 66. Took a 64 cuda v8 k member and took out my k member. I guess I didn’t have to change it huh ? Just can’t seem to find the right oil pan. I’m bout ready to cut 2 oil pans and make one !
Maybe someone who has more experience with that type of swap will have an answer.

Pictures would help. Did you buy the centerlink from a member on the forum? I know someone was selling a centerlink they claimed was a early a v8 and it was not.

Jake
Thanks for your reply. All info helps.

Been there done that. Did a 360 swap not realizing the oil pan wouldnt work. Long before the interweb existed. Have notched and modified a couple pans since.

Thanks for your reply. All info helps.

Here's a picture of the pan that I'm using to put a 72 318 in a 66 Valiant... This one goes on the 273/318/340 from 64 - 69 style with the six nubs for the end seals on the oil pan....

I haven't dropped it in yet, so I'm not sure if there are any issues dropping it in... Hopefully it has the proper scallops so the center link and tie rods don't hit.....

DSC04357 B.JPG

DSC04359 B.JPG

DSC04362 B.JPG

DSC04393 B.JPG

DSC04390 B.JPG

Not there yet but /6 link ok. need 360 magnum pan with rubber gaskets on pan ends.(neccessary)and different oil pickup should be good. verify next month.... when I install
Magnum swap total different boat.....
Thanks, Dave

Are you confidant that the pan which is supposed to be for a 273 is actually a 273 pan? With the large rear opening it sounds like you probably need a 360 pan.

Last edited:
Are you confidant that the pan which is supposed to be for a 273 is actually a 273 pan? With the large rear opening it sounds like it may be a 360 pan.

360 pans use a smaller gasket on the rear of the pan and are not interchangeable with the 273/318/340...

The pans with the six nubs for the end seals were not used after 69, so it will fit a 273 for sure... It will fit a 273/318/340...

In 70 they changed to the two nub end seals....

Here'a s thread that has some info on oil pans:

How to ID a Small Block Oil Pan 60's - 80's

Yes I took the pan off a 64 cuda. 273 automatic. Apparently this 2001 318 magnum has a small rear main cap. Thanks for replying to my post.

are you using a High volume oil pump? Try a generic 360 center sump style pan as the 318 mag had a 360 rear seal size IIRC.

Last edited:
360 pans use a smaller gasket on the rear of the pan and are not interchangeable with the 273/318/340...

The pans with the six nubs for the end seals were not used after 69, so it will fit a 273 for sure... It will fit a 273/318/340...

In 70 they changed to the two nub end seals....

Here'a s thread that has some info on oil pans:

How to ID a Small Block Oil Pan 60's - 80's
Good info. Thanks a bunch

are you using a High volume oil pump? Try a generic 360 pan as the 318 mag had a 360 rear seal size IIRC.
Using the stock pump that came on the 318 magnum. Do I need a 360 magnum pan or just a 360 pan and is there a difference ?

To swap any kind of Magnum motor, either 5.2 or 5.9 into our older Mopars, you need to use an LA 360 oil pan. Magnums were standardized to use the same pan for either motor, and it was the 360 size rear main pan.

Again I bought a 360 Center sump pan for Magnum with the pickup so I can put it in an early a body.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but that's what I'm doing.

Pictures would help. Did you buy the centerlink from a member on the forum? I know someone was selling a centerlink they claimed was a early a v8 and it was not.

Jake
No, used the one out of the 64 cuda that was a 273 . I’ll post some pics tomorrow of my 273 pan. I’ll also put it on the motor to show the gap at the rear I’m dealing with

To swap any kind of Magnum motor, either 5.2 or 5.9 into our older Mopars, you need to use an LA 360 oil pan. Magnums were standardized to use the same pan for either motor, and it was the 360 size rear main pan.
Maybe I got the wrong pan from Summit. Summit #3536 was the pan I bought

Let’s both hope you’re right. Thanks
Now that I think about it it might have been a 360 La pan Center sump pan to go onto a 5.2 Magnum small block with the smaller rear Journal.
But you need to use those silly Rubber end gaskets which I hate.
And splice cork on side of pan.
Sorry for the dimentia

I'm pretty sure both the 318 magnum and 360 magnum use basically the same pan as an LA 360. Just make sure it's the car pan with center sump and use the pickup for that pan. If you use the 360 pan check for clearance of steering linkage at full turn either direction. If it hits it will be a small contact and a couple of well placed blows with a ball peen will provide clearance.

Again I bought a 360 Center sump pan for Magnum with the pickup so I can put it in an early a body.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but that's what I'm doing.
that should work. If your having minimal clearance issues and are using the "sandwich" style motor insulators, get the early bricks. They raise the motor about 2 inches.

I'm pretty sure both the 318 magnum and 360 magnum use basically the same pan as an LA 360. Just make sure it's the car pan with center sump and use the pickup for that pan. If you use the 360 pan check for clearance of steering linkage at full turn either direction. If it hits it will be a small contact and a couple of well placed blows with a ball peen will provide clearance.
Will do. Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. It has helped a lot. Monday morn I believe I can solve the problem now

-
Back