Early A vs Mid A-65 Dart vs 69 Valiant

-

justthatguy

Josh(69 Valiant)
Reaction score
So, I happen to be lucky enough to have a choice of Mopar projects. I've got a basically original slant 6 65 Dart GT and a 69 slant 6 Valiant 200. The reason I've posted this in suspension is my intent for the car, I'm going to make it handle. Either car will get some variant of LA engine based on what I can find on craigslist, and a 4 speed or possibly a 5(Still working on that). My question is, both cars are stock slant/auto with the toothpick rear end with some high and irrelevant gearing. The 69 is in much better shape and much more common and worse looking so I won't feel bad about massaging the metal to fit tire.

Considering that both cars will need complete drivetrain and suspension replacement, which would be the better way to go with handling in mind? Is there a stiffness increase with the later A? I know it's slightly wider, and there's more parts available for it. I don't want to torch my wallet putting metal and suspension on the Dart when the Valiant had better suspension geometry to begin with. What's the way?

I forgot to mention I have a wild card too, I could probably trade both these cars for a slant 6 volare if that works better.

I'm a die-hard early A guy, but it's gonna be WAY easier with the Valiant! More engine bay room and better aftermarket support.

Putting a LA in my '64 Dart wasn't fun no room for exhaust with power steering, clutch linkage and big sway bars!

The 65 Dart less weight will win all things equal...but the 69 Valiant is easier to build with a small block 4 speed combo...stay away from the volare a shopping cart with rusty wheels will handle better.

Good to know. I'd started to have second thoughts about cutting up the dart for mods, I daresay the ugly thing has grown on me . I'd at this point likely just touch it up with some metal and just restore it enough to drive.

I hate to yank a running engine, the valiant still runs. I could slap two turbos on it, and put it in the dart, but I think that's another story. I know the dart is light, does anyone know the weight on a 4 door valiant?

As info, according to what I can find the 69 Valiant 4-door runs about 2,676 lbs with a slant and 2,844 lbs with a V-8. If it was me, I'd snap up that 69 and never look back. No better sleeper than a granny-looking 4-door. Lots of better support for any kind of performance build, and lots more room under the hood for a small block. Run, do not walk, from the Volare business. Make me a x2 on the PITA for an early A with V-8 and 4-speed. It works, but it's not user-friendly.

Volares suck.
Hey now, remember the Super Coupe/Road Runner/Fun-Sun Runner? "...A55 handling and performance package, with the extra heavy duty suspension, rear anti-sway bar, FR70x14 (wider) tires, and optional 360 engine..."

Suspension geometry is the same on both cars. Sway bars are a little harder to find for the early car, but between the two I would choose the '65 EVERY time.

Regardless of what the question is, a 1969 Valiant is always the correct answer.

D5BDF536-C872-41B3-A7C3-07A673DD879A.jpeg

Suspension wise you can build the cars identically, T-bars, brakes, springs, sway bars. Some thought towards tire and wheel selection. Looks to be that both cars are hard tops and therefore about equal as far as body stiffness, if one was a post car, I'd lean towards that. Yes, the early "A" is "tight" in the engine compartment vrs the 69, but not impossible. Search for "Team Starfish Racing", it's a 66 Barracuda, also search "The Green Brick" a 69 2 dr post Valiant.

Eather car can do what you want with out burning down your wallet, with carefully selected factory parts.........have fun

I vote for the EBurg-Brick.
I think the difference in weight with same powertrain and running gear is closer to 300 pounds, and that is about 30 horsepower at the worst, and you could easily lose more than that if you don't run headers in the early-A.
Plus the Brick is wider and stiffer and you can keep the tires inside the body lines.
Plus you gotta admit the Valiant is more handsome.

Hey now, remember the Super Coupe/Road Runner/Fun-Sun Runner? "...A55 handling and performance package, with the extra heavy duty suspension, rear anti-sway bar, FR70x14 (wider) tires, and optional 360 engine..."

Yeah. I remember them pieces.

Suspension geometry is the same on both cars. Sway bars are a little harder to find for the early car, but between the two I would choose the '65 EVERY time.
I would only choose the Early A if the later A was a 4 door. No offense to anyone but this is not Australia where 4 door cars were common and popular with enthusiasts.
The early A is a pisser for steering clearance, exhaust clearance, clutch linkage....The trans tunnel is really tight if you want to run a 727 too. The K member in the early A is a flimsy unit compared to a 67-76. The steering columns are torpedos that do NOT have the collapsible feature that the 67 and later cars have.
Now, Volare......
People are bashing them for some unfair reasons. No, I have never owned one but that is because in CA, they are all required to comply to our strict emission laws. Aside from the weak original engines, I like these cars. They ALL came with power front disc brakes. They all used the large wheel bolt circle. They have engine bays that can fit any Mopar engine easily, even with headers. The front suspension design has some flaws but they are easily correctable.
My first pick would be a 67-76 2 door A body. My favorites are the 67-69 Dart and the 70-73 Duster.

-
Back