early exhaust

-

red cuda

Reaction score
So I went down to get exhaust , and the guy said the manifolds i have would not work, because they didn't drop out the back,instead the passenger side drops in the center, and the driver side doesn't angle out the back correctly. What year made these that would work with what I have. its a 65 barracuda, with the 318 conversion. Thanks/

The stock V-8 manifold for your year is a center outlet style. There are a couple of casting numbers that will work. The drivers side is the problem. If you can find a stock one, grab it. I'm sure others can help with advice about manifolds from different years/vehicle that would work with some mods. I'll get to the garage later and get the casting numbers for the ones that I know will work.
Mike

All A-body and most other small block right side manifolds are center dump. Left sides are generally rear dump.

Are you trying to connect to the factory style "Y" pipe? If so, you'll need 64-66 manifolds if you are using a 64-66 "Y" pipe, as the left side dump was angled almost directly rearward. If you manifolds are off a later 318, you can probably use the "Y" pipe for a later 318 car.

If you're having a complete exhaust system fabricated, it shouldn't matter. It sounds like you may be wise to seek a second opinion from a different exhaust shop.

For sure a set of 64-66 273 exhaust manifolds should work.

I'm not sure that the 67 and later 318 manifolds will fit the tighter early a-body engine compartment, but you may want to see if someone has a set that you could test fit to make sure that it doesn't hit the inner fenders or steering linkages.

pretty sure krazykuda is right. you will need the 64-66 manifolds. some have used the later Magnum manifolds with success.
I have the magnum manifolds on my 66 with a little grinding on the manifold & a 1/4 shim under the drivers mount they fit.

ill have to check the number, he said it would go better if I had rear dump exhaust, and I looked while he had it up on the lift, rear dump with a slight angle if possible would clear everything. it such a tight fit, he said he could do it, but it wouldn't look good,

It sounds like a competent pipe guy should look at the car. The passenger side does dump in the center, and you CAN use the later 67-69 driver's side manifold, but it isn't easy to hook up to.

As long as your manifolds dump in the open, a pipe can be attached. Nobody said it would be easy.

magnum logs? when did they change the bolt pattern on the head for exhaust? how far up In years will they fit? I have the 80s fast burn heads on my car,

Exhaust bolt pattern the same for LA and Magnum heads. You'll have to plug the AIR holes under the ports for most manifolds.

I have fast burn 302 heads on my 69 318 and they work perfect with the 360 magnum manifold. The magnum I use and sell exits at the rear where there's plenty of room for exhaust pipes.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC03286.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC03288.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 336
Apologies for picture lighting, took the at end of day or beginning of night!

I have a set of the '93 Dakota manifolds & was itchin' to assess fitment going in to the '65 Barracuda before I actually do the (318) motor swap. (Boy Scout Motto) I pulled the Steering coupler off and moved the steering column back, removes battery box to allow factory manifold on the 273 to be removed. When I dropped the Dakota manifold down, it was engaging the steering box!!

[On this one, I did have .250" milled off of flange face and will see what challenges steering coupler will have when I attempt to re-fit on spline shaft out of gear box.]

Next, loosened mount nut & jacked engine up & inserted pry bar under mount to achieve ~1/2" under motor (driver side) mount. Mount has plenty of threads for this. It *looked* like about 3/8" to 1/2" space there.

At that point, with manifold snugged with the two middle bolts I had perhaps 3/8" clearance from manifold to steering gear box.

May try some modeling clay to actually see what kind of clearance & pattern I have.

Attachments

• IMG_0199[1].jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0326[2].jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0329[2].jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0324[1].jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 284
...& My 65 is an automatic with console shift, no power steering

When I switched my old 66 wagon to a 318 I first used the stock 273 manifolds (64-66 dart/valiant/barracuda) and they worked fine. When I switched it to a 5.2 magnum, I used the magnum manifolds and they fit very tight, basically wedged the motor between the steering column and the passenger side fender well, also the exhaust shop mentioned it was a PITA connecting the manifolds to the rest of the exhaust.

Apologies for picture lighting, took the at end of day or beginning of night!

I have a set of the '93 Dakota manifolds & was itchin' to assess fitment going in to the '65 Barracuda before I actually do the (318) motor swap. (Boy Scout Motto) I pulled the Steering coupler off and moved the steering column back, removes battery box to allow factory manifold on the 273 to be removed. When I dropped the Dakota manifold down, it was engaging the steering box!!

[On this one, I did have .250" milled off of flange face and will see what challenges steering coupler will have when I attempt to re-fit on spline shaft out of gear box.]

Next, loosened mount nut & jacked engine up & inserted pry bar under mount to achieve ~1/2" under motor (driver side) mount. Mount has plenty of threads for this. It *looked* like about 3/8" to 1/2" space there.

At that point, with manifold snugged with the two middle bolts I had perhaps 3/8" clearance from manifold to steering gear box.

May try some modeling clay to actually see what kind of clearance & pattern I have.

Nice work!!! Sometimes you just have to take your time and figure things out. I know other members have succeeded with the 65/66 bodies. Some grind a slight depression into the manifold to make a little clearance for the steering shaft, some swap out the steering shaft u-joint for a borgeson, some trim the steering shaft collar (next to the firewall, some grind a little off the steering sector and some simply put in a 340 driver's manifold (the 340 makes it easy, it a close fit, but it fits).
PS - the only slight problem with milling .250" off of the flange is that you increase the chances of warping the two inside flange ears (middle cylinders). Once the flange is too thin you'll start getting leaks. This is the main reason I used a magnum manifold and the 340 manifold on my '69 Barracuda. The stock manifold were warped on the flange ears and wouldn't seal. It's better to swap out the steering coupler with a borgeson than it is to mill the flange face IMO. But if it works you, GREAT!!
treblig

what size borgeson? also, isn't there another way to connect the steering as well? I forget the name of it.

There are a few brands of steering u-joints if that's what you mean. All you need to do is get the smallest diameter joint that will fit. There's a thread here on FABO where members have documented (with pics) showing how they did it on 65/66 cars.

Treblig

-
Back