Early vs. Late dusters

-
Wow, a lot of good points here.

The 75 does not have a cat, I had forgot that 75 did come with a cat. This one is long gone.

I went today and drove the 75, I really think it runs good enough that a little bit of maintenence will keep it going. I went on the highway and the guy was acting like a chicken and said to stay close in case of break down. (Not a good sales strategy) i did not baby it because I was hoping If it broke down, it would do it with me instead of anyone else. It's cold here and the heater actually works and got the car toasty, after blowing a lot of dust and leaves.

Kinda weird that the more I drove it, the better it seemed to run. The interior needs help, it's a trash can on wheels, I think the taco bell wrappers in the trunk are a few logo styles back.

Based on the replies I recommended he get the 75 because he can use it now and there's still plenty he can do with it.

He has no later car hate like some of us who have been around these cars much longer.

I also like that it has electronic ignition, I personally have had great luck with factory ignition parts. The 72 has points on it which would need upgrading. Even i don't mess with points, why, when you don't have to. I do keep a points dizzy with me when I go real long distances as well as spare ignition parts. (You can't get this stuff at auto zone anymore without ordering it)

The more I looked at the 72 the more I think it's a level 4 model kit, it's fixable but going to require a bigger budget and more things need fixed before it's even decent.
Sounds like you made a good choice :)

Sounds like you made a good choice :)
not that good of choice, because I bought the 72. :realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy:

First thing I'm going to do is take the sharktooth grille and put it my 71 duster and the bucket seats are going in the 72 demon. **ducking because I know some are going to read this and say "she's an idiot" :realcrazy::realcrazy:***

Jarod seems happy with the 75 and when it warms up we are going to bring it in and get it in the air and check it out in detail underneath and around the engine bay. Give it a good bath.

What does a running 75 Duster in Colorado sell for?

same as a non running 72 with a sharktoot grille

rofl.gif

Get the beaker

The better brakes and running engine seal the deal

Plus, if you start him in a 72, he's got nothing room to grow

start him in an ugly beaker and when he whipes out he can put a 71 clip on

Good times
dusters dont have beak's man,.. thats a dart sport issue!!

dusters dont have beak's man,.. thats a dart sport issue!!
Right. I have no clue why people think the Valiant based cars from 73 on have beaks. They don't. I have to say though, even a beaker Dart done right catches my eye. I used to detest them.

$1500 ea. the seller is kinda living in the past because he thinks 3k in his pocket is like hitting the lotto and he thinks he screwed us over pretty good.

He still has a lot of other cars and most have been out there for decades. I think he thinks mopar A bodies are "cheap cars that no one wants" LOL

Charcoal cans have are more for better operation more than for power robbing smog control.

Even though it does help with emissions because it prevents raw hydrocarbon vapor from escaping. I never can understand when people toss those, used properly, that charcoal can could be your friend.
I agree, the only reason I remove them is underhood aesthetics. If I was going to daily drive my mopars, they are worth keeping.

not that good of choice, because I bought the 72. :realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy:

First thing I'm going to do is take the sharktooth grille and put it my 71 duster and the bucket seats are going in the 72 demon. **ducking because I know some are going to read this and say "she's an idiot" :realcrazy::realcrazy:***

Jarod seems happy with the 75 and when it warms up we are going to bring it in and get it in the air and check it out in detail underneath and around the engine bay. Give it a good bath.
You did right on the '72 for 1500. SCORE !!!

CO emissions laws require tests on cars '76 and newer so the '75 just barely misses that. I also believe Pueblo county doesn't do emissions testing, it depends on the county where the car is registered. Some parts of CO don't do emissions.

I don't think anyone expects him to get the '75 and just start driving it right off the bat. He'd have to do all the same checks on the '72, AND swap in a running engine plus other major work.

I think at this point we need to see what @Princess Valiant 's thoughts are so far and get more details on her cousin's availability (he's in college so spare time is minimal), motivation, skill level, and where he'll be working on the thing in the first place. Not to mention how far that work space will be from where he lives or goes to school.
Amazingly California is smog exempt also Pre 76.
Grandpa, Dad and both my Sisters born in Loveland MoparR&D, I'm the first one born West of the Rockies ! GreatGrandma died in Loveland at over a 100 back in 72 or so. Grandparents lived on West 4th St. a couple blocks west of the
park.

Grandpa was quite the stud born in '01, worked at The Elevator Purina Mill. Went to visit the summer after The Big Thompson Flood when I was young.

Small world !

Amazingly California is smog exempt also Pre 76.
Grandpa, Dad and both my Sisters born in Loveland MoparR&D, I'm the first one born West of the Rockies ! GreatGrandma died in Loveland at over a 100 back in 72 or so. Grandparents lived on West 4th St. a couple blocks west of the
park.

Grandpa was quite the stud born in '01, worked at The Elevator Purina Mill. Went to visit the summer after The Big Thompson Flood when I was young.

Small world !
I used to live in Wellington, and went to church in Loveland. :)

To clarify the rollout of electronic ignition:

1971: Optional, avaliable on 340 and Hemi only.*
1972: Standard on Imperial and Chrysler models, plus all Dodge & Plymouth models equipped w/HP engines. Optional on all other models (including Dodge/Plymouth T-code 440).
1973: Standard across the board.

*Yes, it's the same system used on everything '73-up. Distributor tag numbers:
340 auto - 3438896
340 manual - 3656151
426 auto - 3438893
426 manual - 3438891

To clarify the rollout of electronic ignition:

1971: Optional, avaliable on 340 and Hemi only.*
1972: Standard on Imperial and Chrysler models, plus all Dodge & Plymouth models equipped w/HP engines. Optional on all other models (including Dodge/Plymouth T-code 440).
1973: Standard across the board.

*Yes, it's the same system used on everything '73-up. Distributor tag numbers:
340 auto - 3438896
340 manual - 3656151
426 auto - 3438893
426 manual - 3438891
the 318 2bbl in my '72 Duster came with EI. I guess it was checked in the option box. I had another '72 Duster with /6, it had points.

I'm leaving my quote of the original for posterity!

I had a '72 Charger Rallye 318 with it too. It was on the fender tag, along with the tach. The story I got from those who knew the original owner was that he ordered the car for street/strip racing, but just got the 318/904 since he already had a 340, 727 & 4.10 pig at the ready when he placed the order.
"I just saved a bunch of money on insurance by switching to G in my VIN code!"

I'm glad you did lol, do we get to see pic or two?, I have always liked the twister package better than the 340 since it had the scoops. .

75, for many reasons. It's running and driving being a big one. But even all else being equal, I'd say the 75. Caveat: if the engine swap on the slant six K member is a hack job, run!

The advantages are many: BBP discs, probably an 8.25" axle (72 could be a 7.25"), 3-point belts, electronic ignition, the folding seat.

We need some pictures of both of them. Much respect on getting the '72, any long term plans for it once you get some of the goods from it?

-
Back