Early vs. Late dusters

-
To clarify the rollout of electronic ignition:

1971: Optional, avaliable on 340 and Hemi only.*
1972: Standard on Imperial and Chrysler models, plus all Dodge & Plymouth models equipped w/HP engines. Optional on all other models (including Dodge/Plymouth T-code 440).
1973: Standard across the board.

*Yes, it's the same system used on everything '73-up. Distributor tag numbers:
340 auto - 3438896
340 manual - 3656151
426 auto - 3438893
426 manual - 3438891
Thanks for posting this. I've said many times here that the first year for EI was 71 only to be argued down like a dog. I knew it was, but I was unaware of all the extra details that you posted. Thank you for clearing that up!

Seems good decisions were made. With the young man buying the 75 as a runner, Raini doesent need to be 100% depended on to get it running/driving. Time plays a factor right along there with money. Can have all kinds of money and parts, but no time to work on it. I have seen- no, acutally i have one here, sitting for 4 years waiting to be finished. My Barracuda needs bodywork finished and it could be a good driver. No time. Priorities, man.

He'll have a much better sense of accomplishment with a running driving car as he works on smaller stuff on an actual running car. He can get his experience on small things first and move on to larger things as his experience and ability grows.

He'll have a much better sense of accomplishment with a running driving car as he works on smaller stuff on an actual running car. He can get his experience on small things first and move on to larger things as his experience and ability grows.

Exactly! And if the little cousin really gets into it they can always get an earlier car later down the road when they've developed some more skills!

I mean, if I was deciding which car I would buy it probably would have been the '72. But, I have everything I need to upgrade that car already and the skills to do it. If I was deciding what car would have been the better choice for me in high school or college, it would definitely have been the '75. I drove and maintained a classic car while I was in college, and even having a car that had already been restored just keeping up with the maintenance on it while attending college and working a part/full time job was a lot to handle.

i bought my basket case dart at 24 and I am now getting it restored. yes I droveit for a few years inrough conddition then decided to do the body and paint. being older I have the money for parts and I also collected alot over the years. but it took a long time,if i could go back a basket case i would steer away from. Just for more time driving instead of wrenching.

Get the one he likes!
You buy the other!
“Chicken car” (75) would make more sense for his budget + bigger cubes.
Im guessing he’s like all of us and will always be wanting the stock 318 to be faster.
I like the 72 for me and the 75 for him.

-
Back