Early Vs. Later Lower Ball Joint Issues

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Started ReAssembly today on the '65 Barracuda Front-End...
Realized pretty quick that the Holes thru the Lower Joints were an 1/8" larger than what came out. I guess Replacement Parts are all the Later-Style Disk stuff?
How can I Overcome this with what I have?
1/2" bolts thru the Spindles and 5/8" Holes thru the Ball Joints...
That's Alot of Real Estate in there, Should I Drill Out My Spindles and Replace the Bolts?

joint.jpg

Well, it turns out that the Centers are also off!
The Spindles are 3.750" and the Joints are 4.375"
Damnit!!! I wanted to Drive This Weekend!
Where can I Source the Correct Lower Ball Joint?

Centers.jpg

Nope, late ball joints don't fit early spindles. And the early ball joints come in two flavors- disc and drum; you didn't say which one you're dealing with. They both have the same bolt hole spacing, but the disc ball joints have a larger hole- people commonly drill out the drum joints to the disc size. Search to find the exact hole sizes.
1965 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA 4.5L 273cid V8 Ball Joint | RockAuto

Nope, late ball joints don't fit early spindles. And the early ball joints come in two flavors- disc and drum; you didn't say which one you're dealing with. They both have the same bolt hole spacing, but the disc ball joints have a larger hole- people commonly drill out the drum joints to the disc size. Search to find the exact hole sizes.
1965 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA 4.5L 273cid V8 Ball Joint | RockAuto
Thanx Man! Yeah She's All Drums... 10" one's.

While "in there", could you tell me which side that tapped hole is in your 10" drum spindle - fwd or aft side? I can't tell in your photo. The reason I ask is that I mixed up the left and right spindles in my 1965 Dart after painting and couldn't find any info, nor make out the PN's stamped on the forgings. The spindles are not exactly symmetrical, so it matters.

I have it assembled now and seemed only way worked so the steering arm angled properly to the steering linkage. But, that differed from my memory of disassembly and what I think I made out in the PN's. The reason I remember disassembly is that I didn't know one hole was tapped and beat the bolt out, thinking it was stuck in rust (idiot). No damage since those threads aren't essential (nut behind them) and might have been there just to speed factory assembly.

While "in there", could you tell me which side that tapped hole is in your 10" drum spindle - fwd or aft side? I can't tell in your photo. The reason I ask is that I mixed up the left and right spindles in my 1965 Dart after painting and couldn't find any info, nor make out the PN's stamped on the forgings. The spindles are not exactly symmetrical, so it matters.

I have it assembled now and seemed only way worked so the steering arm angled properly to the steering linkage. But, that differed from my memory of disassembly and what I think I made out in the PN's. The reason I remember disassembly is that I didn't know one hole was tapped and beat the bolt out, thinking it was stuck in rust (idiot). No damage since those threads aren't essential (nut behind them) and might have been there just to speed factory assembly.
Yeah, They're both "Aft" The Threaded One is the Lower of the two also... (Photo's of "Drivers-Side")

lwr1.jpg

lwr2.jpg

I bought a set of Wilwood discs and some 10" spindles to mount them on, but I've about changed my mind and decided to just use BBP A body discs on my 65 Barracuda. That will keep me from going thru this same mess!

-
Back