East coast road trip need tips

-
Ghost Tours !!!!!

Small shops to shop and plenty of places to eat and drink.

If you're crossing the Susquehanna on 95 South in MD and it's ice cream time, about 3.2 miles off I 95 exit 80 is Broom's Bloom ice cream shop. That have sandwiches and soup too. The ice cream machines are in the field. 1700 S Fountain Green Rd, Bel Air, MD

Havre de Grace has an antique row, nice little shops that's fun to explore. There's the decoy museum, lock house museum and plenty of places to eat, shop. It was almost our nations capitol, but they picked a different swamp.

Stay away from Baltimore.
We love icecream and antiques too, thanks for these insiders.
Marco

The Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel is a work of art to cross if you make it that way. It connects the Eastern Shore of Maryland to Virginia Beach Virginia. The bridge is built with two tunnels to allow space for ships to float over.

As others have said, North Carolina Outer Banks is a neat drive. My wife and I were married barefoot on the beach at the Oregon Inlet in Nagshead, so I'm a little biased.

If you stop in Savannah, Georgia for the night, stay at The Marshall House. It was used as hospital during the Civil War. My wife and I stayed there and "no lie", we were awakened at 3 am by screams. Needless to say we didn't sleep much after that.

Definitely Key West, Florida. The first time we drove the keys, you couldn't tell where the sea ended and the sky began. It was breathtaking!! It's a requirement to have your picture taken in front of the buoy marking the "Southernmost Point of the US", only 90 miles to Cuba!
Good inputs! We have the same taste, we married also barefoot at the beach, so good.
Marco

My advice is never travel the interstates, only 2 lane. So the country, talk to the locals. Learn to say yes mame to the ladies and damn right to the guys and yes sir to the older men. You can never say too many yaw'alls. Eat at the local cafes, find homegrown watermelon and cantelopes, boiled peanuts, bar b que and any place that does not understand Brunswick Stew, keep on truckin.

If anyone questions your accent, simply explain you were in a bad wreck with a severe head injury.

Ice Cream...if you do Raleigh, look for Goodberry's Frozen Custard. Maple View Ice Cream in Chapel Hill, but that might be off your path a bit.

“A bit?”

LMAO! Good places I’m sure but a good bit off of I-95 I think.
I’ll keep these places in mind next time I’m in town visiting cousins.
:thumbsup:

I see you want to go to Washington N.J. Do you have family that live in that area?. Not much else to go there for..

Last tidbit of suggestions. I could not find any type of dance club on the beach. Certainly has to be something at Wrightsville Beach.
Anyway, if you come through Raleigh there is the Longbranch. Dancing, live bands. I hear it's real popular.

Traffic during morning and evening rush hour on I-40, I-540, 440 and U.S. 64 East is horrible. Keep in mind the State tree is the Traffic Cone.

wow sounds bad, we loke to travel safe, thanks Marco
Its not that bad unless you're looking to challenge someone's corner in their 'hood.

If there are museums or sights you want to see, you'll be fine as long. Like anywhere, pay attention to your surroundings.
And don't carry loaded gun in NY, Del. Md, or Pa either without a permit.

Haven't responded with suggestions because not sure what your goals are. nature? history? cars? racing?
If you want to hit the big cities, your going to be on the coastal areas. You want to make time, you'll use I-95 and it's 'ring roads'. If you want to sightsee the country, then older US routes are sometimes a good alternative.
If you go further inland, it will be a bit cooler. A bit.

In Eastern Pennsylvania there is an automotive museum in Allentown "Wheels of America", a transportation museum near Reading - maybe its in Boyertown, and the Simone Foundation Racing Sports Car museum near the Philadelphia Airport.

If you are going Boston to Niagra Falls and then back across NY to NJ there's lots of possibilites jsut don't know your interests. I'll just throw some idea out there.
At least two museums in Cooperstown. (that's NY state) Bear mountain state park (NY state), Olana & old Sturbridge Village (Hudson river valley),
High Point NJ is a scenic area.
Edison's Labs and House (Edison National Historic Site) in NJ

Visit Charleston South Carolina. Worth your time. Probably the best food and bev place I have lived. It’s old for America, pretty cool. Do a horde tour downtown, totally worth the money. Tour a plantation or two.

I didn't realize that.. I am close to the one closest to Pa.
There's the Township and a Borough on NJ 31 before it ends at US46 That's Warren County.
There's another town or township in South jersey near Glassboro.
I know there's at least one more that I should remember.
When I was growing up Bell Telephone had little folder with interesting facts about NJ that came every bill.

Lets try g**gle.

Ah yes. Morris County's Washington Twp I should have known because that was a great place in the winter as they didn't use salt on the roads. I'm sure that's changed since all the new houses and people. :(

Last edited:
Last tidbit of suggestions. I could not find any type of dance club on the beach. Certainly has to be something at Wrightsville Beach.
Anyway, if you come through Raleigh there is the Longbranch. Dancing, live bands. I hear it's real popular.

Traffic during morning and evening rush hour on I-40, I-540, 440 and U.S. 64 East is horrible. Keep in mind the State tree is the Traffic Cone.
Thanks, love this live bands!

Its not that bad unless you're looking to challenge someone's corner in their 'hood.

If there are museums or sights you want to see, you'll be fine as long. Like anywhere, pay attention to your surroundings.
And don't carry loaded gun in NY, Del. Md, or Pa either without a permit.

Haven't responded with suggestions because not sure what your goals are. nature? history? cars? racing?
If you want to hit the big cities, your going to be on the coastal areas. You want to make time, you'll use I-95 and it's 'ring roads'. If you want to sightsee the country, then older US routes are sometimes a good alternative.
If you go further inland, it will be a bit cooler. A bit.

In Eastern Pennsylvania there is an automotive museum in Allentown "Wheels of America", a transportation museum near Reading - maybe its in Boyertown, and the Simone Foundation Racing Sports Car museum near the Philadelphia Airport.
we have a lot of interests, locals are most of the time helpful with insider informations like you guys here in the forum. So any of your listing matches to us!
We had in the past a good feeling for save areas, look around, if you dont like the area or people then leave.
Thanks for your infos!
Marco

If you are going Boston to Niagra Falls and then back across NY to NJ there's lots of possibilites jsut don't know your interests. I'll just throw some idea out there.
At least two museums in Cooperstown. (that's NY state) Bear mountain state park (NY state), Olana & old Sturbridge Village (Hudson river valley),
High Point NJ is a scenic area.
Edison's Labs and House (Edison National Historic Site) in NJ
I take a closer look in google, you always have to be open for something new! I forced my wife to visit the USS Midway in San Diego, after 15 minutes she was so impressed i couldn't force her to leave the ship...3h later!

If she would be interested in seeing another ship, the USS North Carolina is in Wilmington, NC. There also warships and submarines to tour in Charleston, SC. Hope you have a safe and fun trip.

niagara falls - is a must see - ya it’s is nice on the canadian side but you can get a better appreciation for it on the usa side . there are large parking lots in the park on the usa side . trams available to get people moved . the usa side offers a very close up view on the waters edge and get a close up view (almost feel the water rushing by ) . canada is kinda comment, usa more park like . take a look at it on google maps get a feel for the area . on the us side the robert moses parkway basically leads you into the falls area of off the mainline thru way and is a scenic ride in itself along the niagara river which eventually plunges over the falls ! i lived here my whole life still impressed with it !

In Boston. USS Consititution. Docked at the Charleston Navy Yard. Frigate built for the Quasi-War with France and very effective in the 1812 war against the UK. Still owned by the US Navy and IIRC it is technically listed as Commissioned.

-
Back