A Mopar 318, a project bizarre.
Turbo dreams, a power surge,
To make it roar, we must diverge.

First, pull the heads, don't be shy,
Expose its heart, let sparks fly.
Gap the rings, make them snug,
For power's embrace, a heartfelt hug.

Head studs strong, like steadfast friends,
Their grip ensures, this journey won't end.
Rod bolts firm, hold tight the might,
As horsepower soars, like a kite in flight.

With wrenches twirling, and spirits high,
We'll breathe new life, let the engine sigh.
Turbocharged dreams, now come alive,
In our Mopar 318, we'll thrive and thrive!

Hello all,

In the process of putting an Ebay turbo GT45 on a mild 318. Starting off with the 318 to learn some tuning. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on what size wastegate to use.
I was thinking of using a 50mm. Probably staying 10 pounds or less.
Started cleaning the carbon from the pistons. Berrymans Chem dip carb and parts cleaner does a great job. Had to mess with a friend about his 302. We have a race planned once I get this together.

0.jpg

IMG_6072.jpg

@Moparturbo have you talked to any turbo suppliers yet?ADE SOMSpoke to VS racing. They recommended the 78/76 with the .96AR

Well, I don’t want to spend your money. If you have the gt45 already just stick it on and get to tuning. If you were gonna keep the 318 and make it the primary engine then there are better choices for a turbo. Either way post up what you do.
Made some progress last week. Honed the block and file fit the rings. Ready to assemble it. I spoke with VS racing about turbos. They recommended the 78/75 with .96 AR.

VSR Cast 7875 .96ar T4

LSX 454? That’s about 2000hp worth of turbo. How’s it run?
I just delivered it to him yesterday. I didn’t start it or tune it. Lots to do before it’s ready to run. It’ll be on E85 for Sick Summer so we’ll see. Goal for summer is 8.50’s, eventually it’ll come back to me for a 25.3 upgrade on the 8.50 cage I installed (hence the floor bars) and he’ll shoot for 7s.

There’s a lot of guessing in this thread.
I’ve run both turbos on a 360. Do NOT put a 7875 on your 318. If you already made the purchase I’d urge you to return. It will be laggy as hell, and you will not be happy. It will be laggy on a 360 also. The cheap(< $300) gt45’s are ALL 69mm. Every. Single. One. So don’t stress that aspect. Get the $200 one. A gt45 will work fine and you’ll be happy with it on any of your future engine options. You won’t need anything bigger until you build every bit of your drivetrain. The 50mm wastegate will work great. Don’t go smaller or you may have trouble keeping boost down(<10psi) unless your plumbing is PERFECT. If you go cheap on your wastegate which I’d advise you not to do…but I did; disassemble, check for defects and debris, and use valve grinding compound to ensure you get a good leak free seat.
Blow through carbs can be hell. If you’re building yours I have some free parts for you so pm me. For your sake I hope you’re buying a nice blow through prepped unit. Either way, you’ll have to be extremely careful with those cast pistons. I would recommend never running pump fuel even if you think you have the tune perfect.
Lastly. You’re going to want a nice converter for any of these combinations. Get one sooner than later, if funds allow, and you can have it re-stalled down the road if need be.

I’ve run both turbos on a 360. Do NOT put a 7875 on your 318. If you already made the purchase I’d urge you to return. It will be laggy as hell, and you will not be happy. It will be laggy on a 360 also. The cheap(< $300) gt45’s are ALL 69mm. Every. Single. One. So don’t stress that aspect. Get the $200 one. A gt45 will work fine and you’ll be happy with it on any of your future engine options. You won’t need anything bigger until you build every bit of your drivetrain. The 50mm wastegate will work great. Don’t go smaller or you may have trouble keeping boost down(<10psi) unless your plumbing is PERFECT. If you go cheap on your wastegate which I’d advise you not to do…but I did; disassemble, check for defects and debris, and use valve grinding compound to ensure you get a good leak free seat.
Blow through carbs can be hell. If you’re building yours I have some free parts for you so pm me. For your sake I hope you’re buying a nice blow through prepped unit. Either way, you’ll have to be extremely careful with those cast pistons. I would recommend never running pump fuel even if you think you have the tune perfect.
Lastly. You’re going to want a nice converter for any of these combinations. Get one sooner than later, if funds allow, and you can have it re-stalled down the road if need be.
Who was guessing? For three pages we’ve been saying exactly what you just said. Except I don’t agree that a gt45 will be fine on 318 inches. Like I said early on, I’ve used em on 5.3s LSs and they’re laggy on those, and they make 100 more hp na. The turbonetics 60/62 I linked on page 1 would be a much better fit.

What's the issue with doing your own blow through? Seems pretty straightforward to me. I actually just picked up an annular booster carb with this in mind.

What's the issue with doing your own blow through? Seems pretty straightforward to me. I actually just picked up an annular booster carb with this in mind.
I’ve done a couple using the hanger 18 mods. Fairly straightforward and they do work.

I’ve done a couple using the hanger 18 mods. Fairly straightforward and they do work.
I'm liking what I've been reading about regarding how effective the charge cooling actually is with a carb.

I was going to install boost reference PVs though

I'm liking what I've been reading about regarding how effective the charge cooling actually is with a carb.

I was going to install boost reference PVs though
Latent heat of vaporization is a magical thing. It’ll get you pretty far. But an intercooler is almost always better. It’s hard to get accurate intake air temp data below the carb, the thermocouples get fuel washed and the data isn’t always black and white.

If you find a source for boost referenced power valves that work, and you’re happy with them let me know, please. The only ones I’ve had consistent success with are CSUs and his are proprietary.

Who was guessing? For three pages we’ve been saying exactly what you just said. Except I don’t agree that a gt45 will be fine on 318 inches. Like I said early on, I’ve used em on 5.3s LSs and they’re laggy on those, and they make 100 more hp na. The turbonetics 60/62 I linked on page 1 would be a much better fit.
Who’s guessing? You. Me. Everyone? I’m sorry if that post came off condescending; it was not intended, and I value the opinions on here. Most definitely yours included.
We certainly disagree on the gt45, but personal opinion on lag is not exactly quantifiable. There’s also the contributing factors like crossover and downpipe size that play a big role in spool time. If he’s shopping for one turbo with more cubes at the end goal I would, personally, guess* that a 60/62 would be too small. The gt45 would technically be listed as a 69/77, and that big turbine really helps get things moving down low even if peak boost comes on slower. This type of boost response meets my preference vs my 78/75 that is more like a light switch.

I have not ran a turbo 318 so I’m just an internet jockey, but here’s where my info comes from:
Landy Duster runs a 318 gt45 combo with what I’d say are pretty good results. 3700 rpm stall converter now, but I don’t know what stall he started out with. Video at the track seems to show no issue spooling.
73 Duster 318 Magnum, GT45, E-85

Also attaching a stock 4.8 with gt45 dyno where they’re already seeing 450 ft/lbs worth of boost at 3100rpm. This does not look laggy to me at all, but again, personal opinion.

IMG_1874.jpeg

I went through the hanger 18mods on mine and it just never worked right. I’ve seen several others give up on them too. It was “okay” for a little while, but never optimal, and by the end not worth risking my motor. There are PLENTY of success stories out there, sounds like TT5.9 has had lots, so it is my assumption that I messed up somewhere along the way.

I offered it up to OP already, but if he doesn’t want it you’re welcome to have the 650 I modded. It has nytrophil floats, an ebay BRPV, and maybe some other parts you wouldn’t mind having for free.

@turbovan I'm with ya, I think we are on a similar page here, and you’re right it’s hard to quantify “laggy” in any situation, mostly because when boost does come on most people forget all about it anyway. I remember the @Landy Duster car and I wish he’d post more, that thing is awesome. I do think there is something to make note of regarding a drag race car that is street driven vs a street car that is drag raced and the compromises people are willing to deal with in both of those regards. Almost always with a street car that is raced, most people would be happier with a smaller turbo (like camshafts) but seem to gravitate to a bigger one. Either way I hope the OP builds something and shares it with us here. That’s a fact.

I went through the hanger 18mods on mine and it just never worked right. I’ve seen several others give up on them too. It was “okay” for a little while, but never optimal, and by the end not worth risking my motor. There are PLENTY of success stories out there, sounds like TT5.9 has had lots, so it is my assumption that I messed up somewhere along the way.

I offered it up to OP already, but if he doesn’t want it you’re welcome to have the 650 I modded. It has nytrophil floats, an ebay BRPV, and maybe some other parts you wouldn’t mind having for free.
I’ve had “some” success. But to be honest when I tried to make big power reliably I went to the pros, CSU built my last carb and I couldn’t be happier with it. If the guys don’t jump on that 650, send it my way. I’ll pin it and see what’s up with it, maybe run it and send it back to ya.

Appreciate the info. I have received a lot of helpful advice so far. I sent you a DM.

-
Back