Economical replacement rocker arm set?

-
Ohh yeah that also. Very easy to change with the covers off. Just need a long magnet pen and to unscrew an intake bolt till its out of the way.
when I rebuild a SB Mope, I always grind that flashing on the head really thoroughly, both for oil drainback, and for reaching through there if you have to have access to the lifters.

I should have changed them 7 pages ago however I didnt realize you could get them in singles and thought you could clean the tick out of them. Ohh well.
Whenever you have multiple possible issues, you just have to try them out one at a time. Glad you got it.... proves once again that the current crop of stockish lifters are not very consistent. It did not used to be that way.

If I were you, I would pull the valve cover and with #3 ex on the heel of the lobe, see if all that slop is gone between the rocker & valve tip.

And yeah, some times cleaning will get them better, if it is just a speck of dirt in the check valve. I am suspecting that your bad lifter was either machined wrong and the piston was too low, or the piston would somehow jam down in its bore.

Yellow was kind enough to send me some adjustable rockers and pushrods. Should I still convert over to those? Seems like they will be a benefit and might even quiet down my engine as it is normally just kind of loud.

I guess you have to use them just because he gave em to you for ... free?

:)
Yep, awesome dude. We thought this was headed toward the need for adjustables and he stepped right up. Wouldn't even take money for shipping. Now I have to decide if I use them or not. Part of me says to leave good enough alone. The other part says, adjustable would be cool...I guess.

I'm not sure what advantage they give me over properly functioning non adjustable rockers. 50hp maybe ?....

0.5 HP maybe? The only thing it might really change that could effect HP is the rocker geometry, and how much it will change (if at all), I don't know.

It would be nice to have for the ability to get the hydraulic lifter preload set where it should be.

BTW, did you toss that bad lifter? If not, how's about sending to me? If I get time, I would like to try to diagnose the issue.

0.5 HP maybe? The only thing it might really change that could effect HP is the rocker geometry, and how much it will change (if at all), I don't know.

It would be nice to have for the ability to get the hydraulic lifter preload set where it should be.

BTW, did you toss that bad lifter? If not, how's about sending to me? If I get time, I would like to try to diagnose the issue.
I was joking about the HP gain.

PM me. They are sitting on my bench still.

Hell yes use them. I found those things hanging on a shop wall where I went to work in 2003. Just so happens that my cousin needed them. So my cousin bought them, I ran a pin hone through the bore because someone didn't banana groove the shafts they were on, and most likely thought 10 psi of oil pressure was enough and bitched up the bore. I also touched the pads on a valve grinder and on they went.

IDK how many miles he put on them, but I'd bet between the two of us there is more than 100 mid 12 second passes on them. I'm sure he probably put 6-8k street miles on them. Then he dies in 09 and I bought the car in 13 and put another 6500k miles on them before I took the engine apart October 1 2014.

So yes, use them. If I was going to drive on the street I set them at 1/2 turn of preload and when we were going to the track I set them at ZERO and beat the hell out of.

I was almost always .1-.15 faster than my cousin. He got better at the end but decided to do go cart racing for awhile.

OK. I will use them. So tighten up till they touch then 1/2 turn more? Any other advise?

Going to start on the rocker swap!
IMG_2313.JPG

I was just comparing the stock rockers to the adjustable. These adjustable have a narrower body and are going to create a ton more slop. The thin spacers I have wont work for ensuring the adjustables are on center. Should I have ordered thicker spacers?

BTW, before I forget, make sure you have a groove in the shaft across the oil hole.

The rockers we designed to have some lash in them from a solid lifter. With hydraulic lifters the rocker always has a load on the adjuster and the rocker. The groove will let oil in in there when the valve is on the seat.

I was just comparing the stock rockers to the adjustable. These adjustable have a narrower body and are going to create a ton more slop. The thin spacers I have wont work for ensuring the adjustables are on center. Should I have ordered thicker spacers?

My bad. I wasn't thinking. I should have sent you some spacers. If you look at the pushrods you can see where the rubbed the tunnel a bit. Get them as close as you can.

My bad. I wasn't thinking. I should have sent you some spacers. If you look at the pushrods you can see where the rubbed the tunnel a bit. Get them as close as you can.
I can wait till I order spacers. Just need to find the correct ones.

BTW, before I forget, make sure you have a groove in the shaft across the oil hole.

The rockers we designed to have some lash in them from a solid lifter. With hydraulic lifters the rocker always has a load on the adjuster and the rocker. The groove will let oil in in there when the valve is on the seat.
You mean a groove like this? What is the best way to do this?
s-l1600.jpg

My bad. I wasn't thinking. I should have sent you some spacers.
Yes, there are some wide ring spacers between the rocker pairs. There are not shim spacers but are short pieces of steel tube and are over 1/4" wide. I can measure their width if you need me to.

Here is a pix of how it all goes together:

DSCN2199.JPG

-
Back