Eddie carb problems

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
All right, I have a 67 Cuda with a 340, that has a Eddie RPM manifold and a Eddie Thunder 650. Last week thought I was getting vapor lock or some sort of heat issue. Installed after market temp gauge car never went over 180 degrees. Rplaced the mech. fuel pump, fuel filter and installed a fuel pressure gauge. We also blew out the fuel lines all the way to the tank, and replaced lines around carb. When I first start my car, I have excellent fuel pressure 6 to 8 pounds. After it drives a while, my pressure drops to almost nothing, and you can see the "see thru" fuel filter running out of fuel. We popped off the fuel line before the filter and ran the car and got plenty of fuel past the pump. We then pinched off the fuel line just before the carb, past the fuel pressure gauge and then fuel pressure would build back up. Took off the carb and quicked cleaned all the screens, needles, etc.(did not have kit around) and re-installed carb, seem to help at first, but slowly started to go back to fall in pressure, especailly when warm. Going to maybe try a rebuild kit this weekend to see if it works, car will always run, just wants to die once warmed up good in traffic. My buddy had same issue with his 70 Super Bee with the Eddie Performer. Could this be a bad carb also, it is only about 5 years old with maybe 5k 6k miles on it. What do you think?

my first thoughts are that the mechanical fuel pump is junk. just because its new doesnt make it good. i wanted a solid 5-6 of fuel pressure so i went a bought an electric pump and regulator and set it at 5.5 for my holley 600. edelbrock 625-750 generally need a solid 5.5-6. when i had my "new" mechanical pump running through my pressure gauge, i could watch it jump around anywhere from 2.5 to 6 and my carburetor was starving for fuel. edelbrocks seem to be real sensitive to heat and they like to percolate fuel. a spacer or heat shield would help keep the fuel cooler. my $0.02

73AbodEE: "seem to be real sensitive to heat and they like to percolate fuel. a spacer or heat shield would help keep the fuel cooler. my $0.02"

I agee with this I had the same problem on my old motor so when I built the stroker, I put this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/8711/10002/-1
and I am still running a mechanical pump and so far not having any issues.

could be vapor lock too is your gas cap vented?? mine is now I took it apart and drilled a hole inside of it so it is now vented.

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 161
Okay Thanks guys, we started the project to install a 1/2 spacer I bought, but once we seen the fuel pressure drop before the carb, we didn't think we needed it. If it was my fuel pump, which I just replaced, why would it only malfunction only when it is hot. When I first start the car, the fuel pressure is great. If I only go about 10 miles and it's a straight shot, my fuel pressure is fine. My fuel press. gauge is before the carb, and it shows low pressure at these times. Where would I drill the hole for my fuel tank or cap, how does this help. (P.S. When I say hot, I mean my motor is only about 170 or 180) Thanks!

IF I am reading this right-----Pressure drop at the carb means THE CARB IS NOT AT FAULT. Ask yourself how a carb can cause fuel pressure to go away?????

You either have something plugged "back there" or a bad electric pump. I ASSUME the electric pump is rear mounted?

Also, I am a HUGE believer in vapor return systems. They were factory installed on hemi and 440 sixpack cars, and THEY WORK

I use either a Wix 33040 (5/16) or 33041 (3/8) filter which has a built in 1/4" orificed return line. You can mount the can either vert. or horiz. so long as the 1/4" line is at the top. Then plumb the line back to the tank. On newer cars with original carbon cans, and if you are not using them, you can rework the system to utilize the original 1/4" return line to the tank.

Make sure your supply line is shielded/ routed/ insulated as it comes up front past the exhaust and so on.

If its a carb heat issue, you can try blocking the exhaust X-over passage that runs under the carb in the intake.

Thanks for all the responses. Actually I have a mech. fuel pump now, I just changed it this past weekend. The reason my buddy thinks it is a carb issue, is because with the car running after it is warm, we pinched off the fuel line just before the carb and after the gauge and filter. Before we pinched it off, we had no pressure, when we pinched it, it slowly started building pressure, my friend thinks something is not seating in the carb. What do you guys think? P.S. when we took the carb of the manifold and carb had fuel everywhere. Thanks

You my hava to pull the sending unit out chek the inlet filter you may have to replace it and fulsh your tank

-
Back