Edelbrock Air Cleaner?

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
Finally finished the install of my LD4B with 1406 electric choke carb. Starts so easy now and warms up much quicker. Looking forward to Spring.

What air cleaner are you running with this set up. Looks like some spots could be in the way and does it need to be a drop base on my Barracuda?

Thanks
IMG_2344.jpg
IMG_2340.jpg
IMG_2339.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a nice intake but then I’m bias since I’m running the same one! I don’t have much insight for you on the Edelbrock air cleaner housing as I used a 340 air cleaner on top of my 1406.

However, please don’t run a rubber fuel line to your carb for long as it’s a good recipe for disaster. Best to find (or bend) a metal fuel line. Engine fires are not good.

That’s a nice intake but then I’m bias since I’m running the same one! I don’t have much insight for you on the Edelbrock air cleaner housing as I used a 340 air cleaner on top of my 1406.

However, please don’t run a rubber fuel line to your carb for long as it’s a good recipe for disaster. Best to find (or bend) a metal fuel line. Engine fires are not good.

Thanks for the advice on the fuel line.

And actually I guess more specifically, it wouldn't have to be an Eddie air cleaner. Just one that is complementary to the engine and fits on what I have there.

Thanks for the advice on the fuel line.

And actually I guess more specifically, it wouldn't have to be an Eddie air cleaner. Just one that is complementary to the engine and fits on what I have there.

Are you looking for a near stock look and what’s your budget? That looks like an an early A (pre ‘67) so hood clearance could be an issue? I’m not sure on the early A’s but I didn’t have hood clearance issues with mine (LD4B, 1406 and 340 air cleaner).

'66 Barracuda. Clearance might be an issue, but at the same time, doesn't look like a drop base would work either because of the accelerator pump.

Kind of a similar vibe. We picked this air cleaner to compliment the valve covers. From jegs I believe.

BB031CC6-3EB8-49B5-8EE5-0B65A9978A3B.jpeg

'66 Barracuda. Clearance might be an issue, but at the same time, doesn't look like a drop base would work either because of the accelerator pump.

Drop base will work fine with that carb. It was a necessity on my 67 with an air gap and the same carb.

Ours is on a 1963 Plymouth valiant with a Holley street dominator intake, 1” spacer, and raised base air cleaner. Still room to spare

Drop base will work fine with that carb. It was a necessity on my 67 with an air gap and the same carb.
Thanks Brian. I used a small spacer (1/2") and the air cleaner stud almost hits the hood. Probably try the Round version of the one Prorac1 used in a drop base. I didn't really put a budget on the dress up pieces. And what I don't want to a cheap chrome piece that will rust in a couple years here in the midwest.

Thanks guys.

Next is the front end rebuild and I'll actually be able to safely drive my car for the first time since I got it.

LD4B has a pretty tall carb height 4.9" (compared to the performer at 4.6") So depending on your element you may or may not need a drop base.

I ran a factory unsilenced air cleaner (on the ld4b with eddy thunder carb) which required a spacer with out any problems. Later I used a carb spacer and a 3" element which did require a drop base

IMG_6619.JPG

Drop base will hit the fuel line, eddelbrock and mr.gasket have a banjo fitting steel fuel line that drops it below the choke.

Finally finished the install of my LD4B with 1404 electric choke carb. Starts so easy now and warms up much quicker. Looking forward to Spring.

What air cleaner are you running with this set up. Looks like some spots could be in the way and does it need to be a drop base on my Barracuda?

Thanks
View attachment 1715284732 View attachment 1715284733 View attachment 1715284734
I run a Mancini drop base for my MP rubbed air cleaner. It is on top of a Weiand Stealth with a thick Edelbrock carb gasket. Check intake height at Holley.com vs your Edelbrock. I have a (IIRC) Wix filter
On top but I’ll have to check the filter number and it’s height.

-
Back