Edelbrock part throttle surge help

-
you have a lean idle circuit. the fix is to drill the idle jet. easy to do IF you know how. the size is around .032-.036. drill only .001 or .002 at a time. if dont know how you can damage the jet.

It's difficult to drill a jet properly, they flow test them to rate them. They also put chamfers/radiuses on the jets to blend them and improve flow, which is difficult to accomplish at home. It's best to get the proper jet tuning kit and step up or down as necessary. That way you know what your flow rate is... :???:

Also keep in mind that the jets have the metering rods going through them which restricts fuel flow. To richen it, you will need to go to a larger jet or smaller diameter metering rod.

Smaller jets and larger metering rods will lean out your mixture... #-o

He is referring to the "idle" jet not the primary main jet. The idle jet is the small brass tube in the primary booster its the small one drill it out in .001-.002 steps. That totally cured my off idle lean stumble. (Tuning with a wide band meter) its real easy to over do it is whay you make small changu@ a time. thease carbs are lean out of the box!

I usually leave that drilling business as a last resort. I find it easier to to increase the float level, making pull-over easier. But we are not that far along yet.

I like to get the low-speed jet area close first.
Then I like to get the primary fuel power dialed in.With secondaries defeated.
Then I like to select a metering rod/jet combo that satisfies those two.
Then I like to fine tune the spring selection.
Then I like to fine tune the low speed step.
Then l like to cure any idle/off-idle problems. sometimes with float level adjustments.
Then I cure any bogs, hesitations,etc.
Lastly I reconnect the secondaries, and dial that in.
Sometimes, I will go a hair lean on the primary side, and flush it out,with the accelerator pump, and fatten up the secondary side. Sometimes the engine doesnt like that. Sometimes if I experiment with the low-speed timing, it will accept it.
Sometimes its a lot of work, but when it finally comes together,its really, really, really nice.
So I guess what Im saying is; getting a metering-rod carb dialed in is,or can be, quite a bit of work. However, if you stick to it long enough, your efforts will be well rewarded.
And then that fat old Holley, can stay on the shelf.lol

many years ago a friend had a 1968 dodge van with a slant 6. it had a lean idle. holley carb 1 bbl. getting to the idle jet on it was very hard compared to a carter. the short story is it ran so good it would idle at 250 RPM very smooth. coarse that was not RPM we used on the street it at. but it didnt die at stop lights and black smoke didnt roll when you started it up. i said it really put out WAY less pollution after.

I also had the 1400 emission edelbrock with same problems, I bought 1406 tuning kit and set it based on 1406 and go rich cruise , also disconnected vacuum from distributer, and changed distributer spring to lighter spring got kit from summit. world of difference ,running a 273 4 barrel, cam, headers, pro comp intake, mopar electronic distributer , had to play with metering rod springs to find happy spot, disconnecting distributer made difference after carb adjustments

That's plenty of carb for your combo. Carb in its stock form should work perfect

I just fixed my surging problem, turns out is was the vent for the gas tank. Might check that. If you have the charcoal canister there is a check valve in the vent line that can get stuck.

No, I eliminated the charcoal canister and all those lines. Now I have a single steel line that runs up into the wheel well to vent.

-
Back