Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 EFI

-
Hera are some pictures of the innternals from the pump. My temp gun ran out of battery but the pump does feel hot to the touch.

Also check out the return flow at idle, wow, the mechanical pump does flow nicely.

Been idling for 10 min aprox, no leeaks seen. It seems the reassemble worked all right.

I left it idling and after like 30min I saw gasoline dripping from the rear frame, the filler neck inside the trunk seems dry, no leaks seen there, the neck on the tank seems dry too, wtf?

20210509_121420.jpg

20210509_121434.jpg

20210509_140456.jpg

Everything I had heard about those type of setups is that the pumps run hot. Multiple problems with fuel boiling etc. One reason I decided to go with an in tank pump.

Thats good info. Are you using the holley made for the abody fuel tank?, or what is your setup?

I have an Aeromotive fuel tank and in tank pump with return and Edelbrock fuel mounted regulator. (E-Body)

I was able to buy new o-ring that I thing will fit the old filter assembly, I want to make some tests before deciding which way to go.

Saw also a holley in tank drop-in option, for the stock tank. they also have the EFI capable stock-type tank (only with a recess for the efi stuff) with the pump and sendng unit, this one is a return type assembly.

I will make some tests on the weekend to see if the floaters are not working properly, or if I overfilled the sump and this is causing the issue. May end up moving the floaters from the old pump into the new one or something like that before attempting to buy a different system.

Last edited:
weekend testing update:

I emptied the fuel pump and reconnected to see if the floater and plunger got in place but did not work, still got a stream of fuel out of the vent pipe.

I checked again the old sump fuel pump assembly, and concluded that it should be assembled upside down to make sure the floaters and plunger mechanism is well aligned when installing the case because otherwise they are fully extended during the assembly process and may stay out of place, so I took apart both pumps, and put the new fuel pump into the old sump assembly. The orings were very difficult to install because they were gasoline swollen already, but I put them in the freezer and then added RTV silicone in the cavity to make sure it stayed in place before reassembling since the oring I bought did not fit.

After installing the pump there was no fuel stream comming out of the pipe like before, only a few drops now and then. Seemed to operate normally (, I wonder if this is now normal or should expect absolutely zero drops comming out of there), pressure in the edelbrock application oscillating betewwn 49-52 psi, also no leakage in the back of the car like before. I left it running for several minutes, took it for a short ride and everything looked okay. I took some temperature readings of the pump while operating, with engine warmed up (open hood dough). Checked for pressure build up in the tank, noticed no pressure build up. Attached pics for reference.

Im going to bring the car to work this week, which is a longer ride, to see how it behaves. I still ordered the two-way holley pressure relief valve for the car ventilating pipe, I assume it wont hurt it. The only thing Im not sure of is if it would be a good idea to install it in the trunk compartment where the vent tubes are or if this will make the car interior stink of gasoline all the time. I anyone has installed this on his car and has a location suggestion I'll appreciate it.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-16 at 8.33.22 PM (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-16 at 8.33.22 PM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-16 at 8.33.22 PM (1).jpeg

Down and dirty injector size formula: lbs/hr=HP/(cyl*2) target HP divided by double your cylinder count. 300HP V8 {300/(8*2)} is 300/16 or 18.75 lbs @ standard 39.15psi fuel pressure. You can tweak your fuel pressure to go up in psi easier than changing injectors!

-
Back