Edelbrock Thunder series 800 on 408 stroker???

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new carb for my 408 build. I have been looking at Holley 850dp carbs because that is what my builder has on his shelf and has had good success with in the past.

That being said, I have a chance to buy a Edelbrock #1813 brand new for $320 no shipping, no tax.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running this carb on a 408 with an Air Gap intake? Please don't turn this thread into a pissing match about Holley vs. Edelbrock . I'm just looking for real world experience using this or similar Thunder Series carbs. I have a Performer 600 right now on my 340 and am very happy with it.

Thanks in advance for any help or input you can give!

I'm looking for a new carb for my 408 build. I have been looking at Holley 850dp carbs because that is what my builder has on his shelf and has had good success with in the past.

That being said, I have a chance to buy a Edelbrock #1813 brand new for $320 no shipping, no tax.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running this carb on a 408 with an Air Gap intake? Please don't turn this thread into a pissing match about Holley vs. Edelbrock . I'm just looking for real world experience using this or similar Thunder Series carbs. I have a Performer 600 right now on my 340 and am very happy with it.

Thanks in advance for any help or input you can give!

Brian,

I'm going to run the Edelbrock 1813 800CFM on my 408. I have never been big on Holly carbs. For years, I have been using Edelbrock Performers without issues. Proper tuning is the key. Did you decide on headers yet? I am going with Dougs.

Russ

The only thing I have to say about the Edel. carbs is that they really do not like big cams. Holley has there basic OE like design which is like the Edel. and then there upgraded carbs for hot street and racing. Edel. has no such carb. Just updated models.

I think it'll be fine up top a 408 if everything else is up to par with it.

The only thing I have to say about the Edel. carbs is that they really do not like big cams. Holley has there basic OE like design which is like the Edel. and then there upgraded carbs for hot street and racing. Edel. has no such carb. Just updated models.

I think it'll be fine up top a 408 if everything else is up to par with it.

Well, I'm going with the biggest hydraulic roller Comp makes. Here are the specs.

camcard0001Medium_zpsbd541567.jpg

Brian,

I'm going to run the Edelbrock 1813 800CFM on my 408. I have never been big on Holly carbs. For years, I have been using Edelbrock Performers without issues. Proper tuning is the key. Did you decide on headers yet? I am going with Dougs.

Russ

Russ, I haven't decided on headers yet, but am leaning towards the TTI's.

Great street carb. Same one I plan on using.
No gasket below the fuel level and external adjustment on the vacuum secondary.​

I run a 750 Performer carb on my 408, after tuning (using a o2 sensor) it runs very good. From what i´ve read the Holley´s should make a few more ponies. I think the 800 AVS is a good carb for your engine, with that cam you should set ignition at least 20° - 22° btdc in idle, and i use the stiffest step up springs (8" i think). Just don´t expect this carb to work 100 % perfect out of the box, i had to reduce the primary jets and enlarge the secondaries. The o2 Sensor was very helpful, so put a weld bung into your collector.

Michael

I e used a 750 Edel. With bigger cams on a 360. Take your time tuning it, it'll be fine.

Run the 1812 ( manual choke version ) on the 340 in my 65 cuda. Car is fast and very streetable. Engine loves it & sure your 408 would also. Have a 513 lift cam, RPM airgap and big valve/ported 587 heads.You will have to tune for your set up but the ability to easily adjust how fast or slow secondary's open is a great feature. Just replacing a 670 cfm holley street avenger with a 800 cfm thunder series eddy dropped my best 1/8 mile time from 8.39 to 8.12. Equivalent of going from low 13's to high 12's in quarter mile and with a streetable 3.55 rear.

Oldschoolcuda

I am running the 650cfm version on my 412 maybe it's a little small but I have a 1" spacer and stock heads with 2.02/1.65, with the thumper cam, if I mash it at 35 mph the tires brake loose and it becomes a handful, have fun with yours sounds like it's going to be a killer, I'd go with the 800 as well.

I'm running the 1812 eddy in my 408 w Comp cam xe284. Runs great...

I call bullshit on the big cam comment. I have the same cam you have in my 408. I ran an Eddy 800 that I just loved. Set it and forget it. It was really rich and probably too much carb, but I got great power out of it. I went to a Holley DP because I was (and still am) going to go to E85, and the carb I am getting is built on a Proform body. So I went to Holley to get all the braided lines run and the fuel pressure regulator and gauge installed. Now it will be a bolt on swap. I hate my Holley, and have always hated them. I have to adjust it all the time. My car ran beautifully and powerfully on the Eddy. My cam specs are:
Comp Cam
242/248 Dur@ .050, .3660/.3630 lift @ .050, 112° lobe sep. 549/544 gross valve lift
Comp valve springs, retainers, keepers, locators.
Use the Eddy, you won't regret it.

Just incase you mean my comment on big cams, I did not consider that a big cam and have tuned the Edel.'s to bigger cams.

Its all in the tune of the carb. If you dont get it right the carb sucks. Get a tuning kit to go with the carb.

Its all in the tune of the carb. If you dont get it right the carb sucks. Get a tuning kit to go with the carb.

Mike, how come the carb sucks and not the guy doing the tuning?!? I will get the kit.

Also, Edelbrock is going to throw in a free air cleaner!!! :cheers:

[ame="http://www.jegs.com/rebates/edelbrock/bigcarbdeal2013.pdf"]Edelbrock Big Carb Deal[/ame]

Update: I just spoke with my engine builder and he said that this is the same carb that he runs on his 360. He has jets and needles for tuning.

Well, snooze you loose I guess. I just went back to the Pepboys website and the carb was no longer in my checkout basket?!? I went back and looked the carb up and it was no longer available??? Either they sold out of the carb or they changed their mind and decided that they weren't going to sell it to me at that price!

So I did the next best thing and bought the 1812 which is the same carb with a manual choke. I got it for $298.39 When I went to check out they charged me an additional $23.05 for state and local taxes?!?! What the hell?!? I've never been charged tax unless the seller has a local store, which Pep Boys does not. I would like to somehow make sure that my tax gets where it is intended to go.

If they have a store in your state..you have to pay sales tax....

That's the problem, they DON'T have any stores in my state. I just spoke to someone in their customer service dept and "he is going to look into it" I told him I would give him a couple of days, and then I would contact my state Attorney General's office to make sure that Pep Boys is turning ALL collected sales tax into the state of Missouri. I guarantee you they aren't going to send the money to my local municipality.

I would opt for the Quick Fuel 800 or even a "little" 750. I'm running one on my 390 with a big *** cam, and it has street manners along with running right on the big end. It's not overly rich either.

They are infinitely adjustable, come with sight glasses to set the bowl levels, and have all the bells and whistles already there. 4 corner idle adjustment is a great option to have when you're dialing things in.

I'm running a Thunder Series 800cfm on my BLE built 360 (500hp @ crank). It's burns 69gph on the dyno and I have a feeling that out of the box it isn't delivering enough fuel. Don't mean to hijack this post.... but anyone have any ideas on what jetting is needed on a T.S. 800cfm to supply 69gph.

Not hijacking at all. Any info I can get on tuning this carb will be read with great interest.

I am a Holley kind of guy.Done a similar 408. Will work,be patient and tune.Max H.P,Holley,hands down.

It's never the tune up or the tuner... it's always something is junk.

I know people that have put 3-6 carbs on something and they all had the same basic issue... but it wasn't the tune up... it was the junk carb. LMAO.

3 of those carbs ran fine on other cars... HMMMMM Yep, junk carbs. :)

Gota know how to tune otherwise everything is going to be junk. I have tuned a lot of eddy carbs, and I know that if they are not spot on, they will give you all kinds of drivability issues. Once you dial them in, they work just fine. The Eddy tuning kit is worth every penny and is a great help when tuning these carbs.

Danm skippy right on the last few posts.

Which leaves me with this question. I have had trouble with cams north of [email protected].
What did I miss? (Experience is low with this.)
At this level, I liked the upgraded Holley w/4 corner idle.

It's never the tune up or the tuner... it's always something is junk.

I know people that have put 3-6 carbs on something and they all had the same basic issue... but it wasn't the tune up... it was the junk carb. LMAO.

3 of those carbs ran fine on other cars... HMMMMM Yep, junk carbs. :)

Yup. 9 times out of ten it's not the parts it's user error. It's just hard to admit that most times.

-
Back