Edelbrock Thunder series 800 on 408 stroker???

-
Run the 1812 ( manual choke version ) on the 340 in my 65 cuda. Car is fast and very streetable. Engine loves it & sure your 408 would also. Have a 513 lift cam, RPM airgap and big valve/ported 587 heads.You will have to tune for your set up but the ability to easily adjust how fast or slow secondary's open is a great feature. Just replacing a 670 cfm holley street avenger with a 800 cfm thunder series eddy dropped my best 1/8 mile time from 8.39 to 8.12. Equivalent of going from low 13's to high 12's in quarter mile and with a streetable 3.55 rear.

Oldschoolcuda

I am very curious of your experience with this, I currently have a 625 cfm Carter AFB on my 360 (Magnum heads, 10.5:1, small Voodoo cam) and am looking to "upgrade" to a 670 Holley Street Avenger. Did you spend much time tuning your Holley compared to the Edelbrock? I understand the Holley vac. secondaries tend to open slower than the Carter/Edel ones because of their design...

All Carter a d Edel. Carbs are mechincal secondary carbs. So they open up no matter what unless the choke is on even slightly. The AFB has a counter weighted air door. (Not easy to adjust) The AVS & TQ have spring tension air doors that adjust very easy with screwdrivers.

I am very curious of your experience with this, I currently have a 625 cfm Carter AFB on my 360 (Magnum heads, 10.5:1, small Voodoo cam) and am looking to "upgrade" to a 670 Holley Street Avenger. Did you spend much time tuning your Holley compared to the Edelbrock? I understand the Holley vac. secondaries tend to open slower than the Carter/Edel ones because of their design...

Rob is correct & should have worded differently. The AVS secondaries are mechanical and it is the air door adjustment that controls airflow to secondaries that helps control/eliminate a bog. Love the ease and simpleness of this adjustment. The 670 avenger is an awesome carb from my experience and is vacuum secondary, but has a neat quick adjustment setup with just spring changes. I could just not get an initial bog out of mine but it was my limited holley tuning ability not the carb. Only reason I really changed from the avenger was my comfort level tuning eddy's and mine developed a leak over the winter down period( probably from sitting ) so would absolutely recommend the avenger and am thinking about trying the 570 cfm unit on the 273 in my valiant.

Oldschoolcuda

Rob is correct & should have worded differently. The AVS secondaries are mechanical and it is the air door adjustment that controls airflow to secondaries that helps control/eliminate a bog. Love the ease and simpleness of this adjustment. The 670 avenger is an awesome carb from my experience and is vacuum secondary, but has a neat quick adjustment setup with just spring changes. I could just not get an initial bog out of mine but it was my limited holley tuning ability not the carb. Only reason I really changed from the avenger was my comfort level tuning eddy's and mine developed a leak over the winter down period( probably from sitting ) so would absolutely recommend the avenger and am thinking about trying the 570 cfm unit on the 273 in my valiant.

Oldschoolcuda

OK great thanks for clarifying that... I only have experience so far tuning eddy's as well but I feel like it's a dated design that works well for its intended purpose (reliability, economy, good street performance) and these newer Holleys are more easily tunable and have more advanced features. Once I hopefully start hitting the strip I will probably fiddle with my Carter AFB for a while but a nice new Aluminum Street Avenger is on my wish list. Then again I stumbled upon this Youtube video and now I'm a bit hesitant to buy one...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLrhE5tGMo"]street avenger holley bog problem explained! - YouTube[/ame]

Hate to break it to the guy in the video, lots of times too much transfer slot is a direct result of not enough initial timing. But I digress!

That off idle stumble too...

If he does have issues with pump cam to arm contact, that's something that needs correcting. If you open up the primaries a bunch, that can get you up on the ramp and past the initial transistion in the pump cam.

rob..he said he was an expert...do not question him..besides he was working on furd..

I guess thinning the AP arm or bending it beyond where it contacts the cam is too much to ask.

Done the 260@ .050 ,at a 106 ,flat tappet. Nice guys ,don't apply. About a 1100 idle,in gear. Cam hammered ,up to 63,6400..At 101 overlap,not a nice guy.

LOL looks like I don't have much to worry about apparently this issue isn't a big deal...

Okay, so I'm reading the instructions that came with carb and they mention an optional Dual Feed Fuel Line Kit for an additional $86.

Edelbrock8133_zps0e1eca66.jpg

My question is, is this kit necessary and will I notice an increase in performance by running it or decrease by not running it?

It doesn't increase performance. It helps insure fuel delivery.
Not needed.

I didn't mean actual HP or torque increase, I meant is there a chance of sucking one side dry in a 1/4 mile run.

Well maybe needed or not, I bought it for mine, (dual feed lines have a slight cool factor to me) did it make a difference?? don't know cause I put it on from the get go, from all the posts that I have read from rumble I would have a tendency to believe him, but it's your $$$.

-
Back