Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 650

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
I bought this Edelbrock 1825 650 from one of our members 64 SRT8 Dart,(great member,easy transaction).
I have always wanted to try one of these with it's adjustable air valve secondary,but didn't want to cough up the $350 for one. So I couldn't pass this one up for $100. Upon arrival,I completely took it apart,and went through it. I blew out all passages.and adjusted the floats to the factory specs. The 1825 is an off road carb,with a spring loaded needle an seat. I changed them out to the standard needle an seats,basically turning it into the street version 1805.
I have also installed the correct Black Thunder Series Chrysler throttle bracket.
Something else I like to do is remove the Edelbrock badge,i feel it gives the carb more of a Carter look. And of course the choke goes.

I have tried both the 600 & 750 Eddies on my 360. The 750 wins on the top end,but thats about it. For all around street use I give the edge to the 600. It runs snappy and crisp with it. However,I have a feeling this 650 just might be the best all around carb of the three. The adjustable air valve secondly can be finely tuned for the secondary's to kick in. Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Any feedback on Eddy carbs welcomed.

I know Holley makes great carbs,would like to keep this thread on topic.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0093.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,417
  • IMAG0094.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,458
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,354
IDK where the extra 50 cfm comes in on the carb. Could be the secondary side set up?

I like the AVS carb over the AFB in a big way. Though it should be known I'm talking about the OE equipment. It all still holds water IMO. The secondary sides tunable spring is a great thing IMO and you'll like it alot.

Because you can delay the opening of the secondary side unlike the AFB, you'll not have the secondary opening bog and more constant torque.

Your gonna like it.

IDK where the extra 50 cfm comes in on the carb. Could be the secondary side set up?

I like the AVS carb over the AFB in a big way. Though it should be known I'm talking about the OE equipment. It all still holds water IMO. The secondary sides tunable spring is a great thing IMO and you'll like it alot.

Because you can delay the opening of the secondary side unlike the AFB, you'll not have the secondary opening bog and more constant torque.

Your gonna like it.

Not sure where the extra 50 CFM comes in either. The secondary side would be welcomed.

Gone are the days of shaving the secondary weights,to adjust the secondary opening. Now you can tune it to your vehicle with the twist of screwdriver.Looking forward to testing this thing.
Anyone else running a Thunder Series Eddy ?

My buddy gave me a bunch of crap for sellin that thing, lol. He said I could've just bolted it on and run with it on my 318 build.
Good luck with it!!
Thanks John for the shout out!

I agree with everything that Rob said about the AVS.

I ran one on a cammed 361 big block with a manual transmision back in the 70s with excellent results. I wonder how it will respond with the 360 since it is a smaller bore but longer stroke motor in contrast to the larger bore but shorter stroke 361.
My facory 383 HP (automatic) sill has the original AVS and it can really move my C-body land yacht.

Let us know how it performs.

Art

I bought a 1806 edelbrock 650 avs brand new a couple months ago and i like it alot.
I did have a performer 600 cfm and it had a vaccum leak ether cause of a crack on the carburetor or because of worn out throttle shafts. Bolted the avs on and noticed a huge difference. And the tuneable secondary air valve is real nice compared to the counter wieght on the performers.

Installed the 650 today,and it fired right up !
Next up will be test and tune. Just to Fricking Hot today !
Maybe when it cools down tonight I will play around with it.
From the sound of it just a little A/F adjustment,and its ready.
After that I can play with the secondary opening adjustment.

Attachments

• IMAG0124.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,669
  • IMAG0125.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,364
I just got a Demon 625 had a Holley 750 on my 65 Dart with a 340 will see this weekend fingers crossed on the weather to see if it runs smoother

I just replaced a 750 Eddy with one of those Thunder series 650cfm carbs on my 440 Duster and I noticed a lot of difference. I have a lot more low end torque and a noticeable difference in a kickdown at about 30 MPH. It also idles a lot better. I like it.

Hope you like it,i realy like my 800AVS it ran good out of the box and real nice after some small tuning on my 340 and it worked just as good on a friends 396 chevy.

Subscribed :glasses7: Like you JD, I like the look and they are a great truck/car carb I think by experience
I would much rather have this set up on my /6 but I am just running 170 C.I.

My little 390 Holley has been great (knock on wood) but I like your slant carb system better. I have a 6?? eddy for my Ramcharger, and this is yours you found at a swap meet and sent me, Not to get off topic but looking to learn something :happy1:

Attachments

• Creed's%20Rod%20018.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,056
Subscribed :glasses7: Like you JD, I like the look and they are a great truck/car carb I think by experience
I would much rather have this set up on my /6 but I am just running 170 C.I.

My little 390 Holley has been great (knock on wood) but I like your slant carb system better. I have a 6?? eddy for my Ramcharger, and this is your you found at a swap meet, Not to get off topic but looking to learn something :happy1:

Sorry Mike,
I'm a little confused on your question ?

Sorry Mike,
I'm a little confused on your question ?

:eek:ops: I can see way :coffee2: The Eddy you have on your Dart /6 would be a
good change for my Holley 390 I have on my 170/6, but my stock cam and head I don't know if they have an Eddy that will work on my little c.i. /6, or can one be built to work ? I like your /6 set up better then mine..

And Thank you for the intake you sent me and keeping me in line on what intake I needed to run on a stock street driver for my Ramcharger :thumleft:

How small do these Eddy 4 barrels get I guess is what I was wondering J.D.

Attachments

• 65%20dart%20010.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,112
  • Speep%20056.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,028
:eek:ops: I can see way :coffee2: The Eddy you have on your Dart /6 would be a
good change for my Holley 390 I have on my 170/6, but my stock cam and head I don't know if they have an Eddy that will work on my little c.i. /6, or can one be built to work ? I like your /6 set up better then mine..

And Thank you for the intake you sent me and keeping me in line on what intake I needed to run on a stock street driver for my Ramcharger :thumleft:

How small do these Eddy 4 barrels get I guess is what I was wondering J.D.

Did you have a couple Wobbly Pops last night Mike ?........D

The smallest carb Edel makes is a 500cfm. That's what I run on my Dart.
I ran this carb (box stock) on a stock motor with a header,and it ran fine.
I think a 500 Ede would run great on your car.
Back in the day Carter made a carb right around 400cfm,for the Hyper Pac.
Good luck finding one of those,I have seen exactly 1.

The Holley 390 is an excellent choice for the slant. Obviously you have to be familiar with Holleys to tune them.
I prefer the all around ease/performance of the Edel carbs. Call me crazy.....:glasses7:

Did you have a couple Wobbly Pops last night Mike ?........D

Yes I had a couple after going to my Granddaughters graduation :D
Thank you J.D. I may have to price one soon and try it, and sell the Holley one day maybe... Thank you J.D. :glasses7:

I ran the Edelbrock 650 AVS on my mild 318 straight out of the box and it made 352hp. required no jet changes and is really smooth on the street.

I couldn't ask for a better carburetor.

Where did you get the fitting for the fuel line? The one's I've tried all leak bad and the Edelbrock one is too big. I want to keep my stock fuel line also.

Thanks!

-
Back