Edlebrock 4 bbv won't open.......

-

cecil4speed

Reaction score
Hi. Has anyone ever had this problem. My Eddy 650 will only open the secondaries at certain times. When they open they work well. I have good vacuum. What do I check? Thanks, Keith.

OK, quick question, you said 650. To me, that means you have the AVS carb.
(AKA Thunder series)
Correct?

OK

Alot will also depend on when it kicks down and at what RPM. The spring loaded secondary door is the part that may need to be cleaned. (If dirty/used) and not repeat NOT OILED sinceit will attract dirt.

The actual butterflies will open. There mechanical in operation. The only ting not allowing the secondary side to open is the lock out. This is engauged when the choke is not fully opening the choke flap on the primary side. A slight adjustment on the choke housing 1/2 of a notch should clear that up.

If you do not have an automatic choke, re adjust the cable to insure easy and full opening of the choke.

I know sometimes, if the kickdown system doesn't kick down, the seconday side doesn't seem to open. Key word, "seem." The AFB's have this issue as well. The reason for them to seem to have this is that the weight air door is opening real super slow. The spring loaded door does the same thing.

Loosen the door last.

Thanks Rumble. It may be the door than. Carb is only 2 years old and still pretty clean. I'm not sure about the lockout as I don't see exactly what piece that is. Four speed so no kick down. I'll check for sticking first and then loosen last. Thanks again.

Keith, with 4spd's, beingtheres no kickdown, if your low in the rpm range, the secondaries will not open due to low velocity/demand. Wind up the RPM's.

The lockout is on the drivers side. Play with the choke.Open and close it. Keep your eyes on the drivers side of the carb and take note when your moving the choke open and closed AND movbingthe throttle open and closed. Sometimes, you can not open the throttle all the way. This is when the lock out is doing it's job.

It is a little swinging linkage part that hangs very low and behind all the other parts. Ithas a cut out like a U shape-ish notch that stops the secondary side from rotating.

You'll see what I mean. I lostall my pictures, so I can't post one up. SOrry dude.

I actually went to Edelbrock's site and was dismayed to find that here are no downloads regarding this carb showing the breakdown of parts THAT I COULD find.

You might download one of the service manuals here at the site, and look up an AVS in the them. I'd try a 69/ 70 service manual, page 14-42, "Checking secondary throttle lock out adjustment."

33tgocx.jpg

elchol.jpg

Here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

Thanks 67Dart. I appreciate the effort you guys take to help someone out. That pic will probably help when I check the carb this weekend. Thanks again guys.

-
Back