Electric Fan Suggestions.

-

no1newb

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about switching out my non clutch flex fan for an electric one, this is mostly a daily driver and probably wont see the strip anytime soon. so i dont need any heavy duty 3000cfm fans i dont think, but i dont know exactly what to look for, i saw one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-16-Electric-Thermo-Fan-Chevy-Ford-Mopar-Radiator-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ceeabdc64QQitemZ330421754980QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4728wt_951

but i dont know if it is any good, any suggestions on what type of electrical fan?

It sort of looks like a Spal fan, if so, it is a good one......

I wouldn't be concerned with using that one. When I put the new Wizard radiator in my car, I got serious sticker shock when looking at the ready to go fan set ups. Wow, they are trying to hit a home run with them.

I bought two 12 inch, similar to your link, married them together side by side and built my own mounting bracket. Did it for less than $80 and they work great, and I am very happy with them.

Just make sure you run it through a relay so you don't melt your switch, wiring or burn car to ground.

That looks exactly like mine same size too, it pulls a lot of air even all the way thru my tranny oil cooler which is 2 inches in front of the radiator. Ditto on the fan relay wiring.

Ive been thinking about switching out my non clutch flex fan for an electric one, this is mostly a daily driver and probably wont see the strip anytime soon. so i dont need any heavy duty 3000cfm fans i dont think, but i dont know exactly what to look for, i saw one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4728wt_951

but i dont know if it is any good, any suggestions on what type of electrical fan?
Maybe one of these HHR Fans...

IMG00286-20100520-2202.jpg

IMG00295-20100526-2030.jpg

DO NOT buy a Zirgo fan! I put one on my radiator, ran great for 5 miles, then came apart and put a hole in my radiator. After a month of back and forth they agreed to refund me for the fan and shipping, but still slow-rolling me (6+ months) on any compensation for the radiator. The company that sells it is The Hoffman Group - stay away.

I think a member adapted a junk yard 7 series BMW radiator and fan setup on his stroker motor and he is happy. I am running a stock radiator with a proform shroud and electric fan. I am happy, but had to modify my radiator brackets to get it to clear.

i already bought the one from ebay after the first few posts. would it be a bad idea to put a fuse and have just a switch to turn on when it gets hot, or should i really get the relay. probably a stupid question, but that would be a lot more convenient.

If it will be your only fan I would put it on a relay controlled by a thermostat, something as simple as what hemied suggested or as elaborate as the spal controller http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=FAN-PWM-V3 keep in mind that the fan just mounted on the radiator will only pass air thru the area in front of the fan, you really should build a shroud around it, similar to 67gtx's one......

A relay kit with a thermostat is cheap insurance. You don't want to run those amps through your car to the switch and back.

Painless and others sell them on line, but there's a perfectly useable kit at most parts stores. I prefer a temp sensor in the block (rather than the radiator), so that the fan doesn't have to wait for the thermostat to be open a while before turning on.

FWIW the HHR fan did not fit my car. It fit the radiator perfectly, but the fan motor hit the water pump pulley pretty bad. Wasnt about to hack on my car just to run a cheap fan.

I went with a Derale 17" 2 speed fan. It was $150.00, and I just wired both speeds to go whenever the fan is on. Keeps the motor cool (as cool as it was with the clutch fan anyway) , even with the underdrive pulley.

I don't have a shroud.

Steve

I had that contol with a fan I bought years ago. I thought it was kind of micky mouse.
What I did with my sensor was put it through the rad fins up where the top rad hose comes in, and got a small peice of rubber hose and fit it tightly over the end of the sensor so it would not fall out.
AL

didnt know id have to pull the radiator out before i can even get the flex fan off. the bolts holding the fan on wont come all the way out, they hit the radiator. so is there anything else i should do when i drain the radiator?

-
Back