Electric fan????

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. I am wanting to free up some ponies on the 225. I am thinking of replacing my non-clutch fan with an elect. will there be a seat of the pants gain? And, what fan would you recommend, single or dual? And what about auto thermo kit? Thanks for the help.

Biggest single you can fit will always pull(or blow)more air than any duals you can fit in.
I run a 16" puller and a 16" blower either side of my 440 barracuda.

Biggest single you can fit will always pull(or blow)more air than any duals you can fit in.
I run a 16" puller and a 16" blower either side of my 440 barracuda.

Not always true. I fit four 10" fans on my rad. Combined they have over 4000 cfm capacity and cover nearly all of the radiator core. This is more efficient in terms of cooling and can be less demanding on the charging system. They are wired independent of each other and can be turned on as needed.

I run a cheap furd taurus 2 speed fan, supposedly 2500cfm on low and 4500 cfm on high. I only have the high speed wired. I did notice a decent bump in high rpm pull. It just seemed that the solid mount fan would hold the engine back once it got past 2500 rpm ( sounded like a jet engine and wouldn't rev past 3800 )
I also run a 14" pusher for the A/C condenser.
The 4 10" fans would probably been a better idea because I ended up having to carve out the back of the shroud webbing to allow room for the water pump nose ... and it is VERY close to the blades...
As for the temp control, I got the mrgasket one from the local autoparts place.
I set it at 190* with a thermometer in the radiator neck and the sensor just behind the fins.
Yesterday in the 95* weather with the A/C on and it never got past the second mark from the left..

Your not going to notice a seat of the pants gain on you /6. But I'd bet a benji that you'll see a mileage improvment.

Is there a writeup on how to do the swap? I'm interested in it for the mileage gain.
I used this one as a basic guide and a Hayden adjustable controller.

Since my Dart had a little four-blade fan with no shroud, I figured a smaller (and inexpensive) fan would work. Found one at a junkyard from a mid 90s Toyota Corolla for $25. So far it's been working fine. I can always install a bigger one later on if needed.

Hey Ronny. That is some great info. I hope soon to start the swap. I will use the link to assist in hooking it all up.

What is wrong with a shroud, fan clutch and fan from an A/C slant?

Bolt on and you won't have to mess with all the wiring.

My car is A/C but still no clutch. I have a shroud. Nothing wrong with the cooling of the car, but I would think a little more mpg's and free up SOME HP. is always a good thing.

I'm a fan (play on words...) of the 88-95 Turd Faurus 3.8L fan used in conjunction with a variable speed controller. I use the Delta controller on my cars but have helped install a couple of other brands that work well too. The Taurus fans, even if they are a blue oval item, work extremely well and can be picked up at a wrecking yard easily and cheaply. The good controller is what gets a bit more pricey but makes 'em work really well. The shroud is fairly easily modified to fit well on the A-body radiators too.

Keep cool!

Thanks Grim. But a furd?????? Well if it works and cheap, like furds are, then I will look into it.

To see what difference it will make take your fan off and go for a drive. You'll obviously want to avoid idling in traffic. As long as you are moving, the fan really does nothing.

Does not matter that his electrical system is "old school" as long as its a 12 volt system,and the alt. is up to the task he is good to go.Use a relay so the fan gets full power,and add a fuse,and you should be good to go.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will start gathering parts and do the swap in the fall.

A 34 amp alternator may not be up to the task like at night in the rain with the lights, heater or A/C, wipers and the Fans on is what i am trying to say.

If it is raining, that will help cool as well. The stock system should be fine. As said before, use a relay...etc. Many manufactures list the amps for their fan. They spike amperage when turned on and settle to a significantly lower running amperage.

My car draws 52amps with everything on. (all lights including hi/lo beams, tail, stop, 4 fans, elec fuel pump)

A 34 amp alternator may not be up to the task like at night in the rain with the lights, heater or A/C, wipers and the Fans on is what i am trying to say.
Dave, you have an excellent point. A better scenario might be if you're stuck in traffic on a blazing hot day. That's the situation I was in last summer, and why I started thinking about the electric fan project.

That was the only time the Dart came close to overheating. It was in Houston at 5:30pm on a side street near an interstate. Road construction forced the divided four lane road down to a two-lane. 96 degrees, and over 100 miles from home. No fan shroud and only the little four-blade fan. The gauge was almost pegged, and I couldn't even get to a parking lot.

If that ever happens again, it would be the perfect test of my new setup. But I'd rather be in something with air conditioning.

Spot on.
Mine is running
2 x 16" fans @ 21 amps each
Water pump @ 15 amps
Electronic controller for water pump @ 12 amps
Holley blue @ ? amps
MSD 6AL @ ? amps
And that's before you allow for all the routine stuff.
I upgraded the charge wire but a 100amp alternator still couldn't cope at night with the lights on.
I'm now running a 120 amp alternator which does cope but it's obviously marginal.

The best cooling can be obtained with the five blade assymetrical fan found on zillions of mopar air condition equippedf cars. The necks come in a short and long neck and could affect fit on your car. The fans can be found at junk yards look for four door luxury cars, they seem to have less abuse. The same clutch fan is sold through mopar as a high performance type with 15 HP gain. Adding any thing electrical to those old wiring systems is questionable, I read, relays, amperage increases, temp cutouts, two levels of operation etc. Electrics appear to be a lotta work for wuestionable benifits.

Had an electric fan quit on me two hours from home. Never again. I'll stick to a belt driven fan .

A lot of guys are running the chevy HHR fan. Can get them cheap at rock auto. Supposed to work well. Me, I would go clutch fan and be done with it.

I installed a 26", 3 row radiator from a motor home and 2-12" puller fans and an electric water pump on my 69 Barracuda, 440. I estimate they save 25hp+ at speed. Overheating is never a problem, even here in the desert of inland southern California with this setup. After a few minutes cruising on a freeway.. the 180 thermostat opens the fan connection and the ambient air flow - (above 30mph), is enough to cool the built 440. Electric water pump runs all the time. I have a Viper oil cooler, but found it was not needed. Overdrive 833 with 3.91 rear end.

-
Back