Electric fuel pump recommendations?

-
66 Dart 273 2bbl. Stock.
Having serious vapor lock/ fuel boiling issues.
Need a recommendation for a DEPENDABLE full time electric pump replacement for the factory mechanical fuel pump.
I use an Edelbrock electric pump designed for carbs, low pressure with good volume levels OOTB. Purchase a relay kit with it as it is not included sadly. Pretty darn quite unlike a race pump. I mounted mine at the rear of the car very close to the tank since these like to push fuel rather than suck fuel. EZ wiring. Edelbrock Quiet-Flo Electric Fuel Pumps 1791

Is there an in line fuel filter somewhere? Also is there a fuel strainer in the carb. ?

I dont like hearing this... i have been having fuel percolation/vapor lock issues... never had them before installing cam, lifters, cleaning the engine (internally). Added 1/2in spacer as well...

Hot vegas heat, hot asphalt, hot engine bay and the carb doesn't get the fuel.... my car has maybe 50 miles since the new parts all installed because percolating/ vapor lock issues.

I'm looking at adding an electric fp and running a return line as I dont know what else to do.... I'd love for you to share your wisdom with a young grasshopper who just wants to drive his car again lol. I really don't want to drop the gas tank in my garage for a the return line though. :(

View attachment 1715569422

View attachment 1715569423

View attachment 1715569424

View attachment 1715569425

View attachment 1715569426

View attachment 1715569427

View attachment 1715569428

View attachment 1715569429
You said that you have added a 1/2 spacer.
Is that a black composite thermal spacer between the carb and the intake manifold? Or something different?
You will need to put a fuel pressure gauge in line between the pump and the carb for trouble shooting. Taking hot and cold reading will give you some indication of what going on, especially when it locks up.
Fuel pump may be weak.
Try to avoid the little cheesy fuel pressure gauge that thread mounts inline, they are very inaccurate. Locate one that is on a whip hose.

And where is the fuel filter?
View attachment 1715569494

I'm headed out but you can do a search here for how Chrysler recommended mounting the fuel filters to help let vapor escape.

Fuel filter circled in red and using a wood spacer. I know fuel isn't getting to the carb because when it dies no fuel comes out of the carb into the bowls when I give it gas.

Only new things related to the fuel system is the steel braided line from the mech pump to the fuel filter...

20200729_082313.jpg

You said that you have added a 1/2 spacer.
Is that a black composite thermal spacer between the carb and the intake manifold? Or something different?
You will need to put a fuel pressure gauge in line between the pump and the carb for trouble shooting. Taking hot and cold reading will give you some indication of what going on, especially when it locks up.
Fuel pump may be weak.
Try to avoid the little cheesy fuel pressure gauge that thread mounts inline, they are very inaccurate. Locate one that is on a whip hose.

Spacer shown between carb and intake manifold. Ill check out a fuel pressure guage, my filter has a threaded hole for fuel pressure guages.

20200513_173549.jpg

I'm running a Carter electric fuel pump on my Sport Fury. Not too loud. My Dart, has a pusher electric pump, just for when the car sits for a while. Look at the fuel line as it goes along the frame. It is close to the exhaust by the engine. Might want to wrap it. Maybe the metal from the braided line is picking up heat. Consider the engine temp too.

I know fuel isn't getting to the carb because when it dies no fuel comes out of the carb into the bowls when I give it gas.
I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense. Maybe just the way it was written or maybe misunderstanding of how it works.
When it dies. Under what conditions does it die?
Giving it gas. Opening the throttle should result in fuel moving into the barrels from any combination of idle/transfer, booster, and shooters.
There must already be fuel in the bowl.
In many vapor lock situations, at closed throttle enough fuel makes it into the bowl to keep the engine running.

That filter could be a contributor.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense. Maybe just the way it was written or maybe misunderstanding of how it works.
When it dies. Under what conditions does it die?
Giving it gas. Opening the throttle should result in fuel moving into the barrels from any combination of idle/transfer, booster, and shooters.
There must already be fuel in the bowl.
In many vapor lock situations, at closed throttle enough fuel makes it into the bowl to keep the engine running.

That filter could be a contributor.

The filter is brand new, and when the engine isn't hot I havent had a problem with fuel getting into the bowls.

Letting the car warm up then driving just down the street (1-1.5mi) it starts getting starved for fuel and sputtering. Ive tried giving it lots of pedal to get more fuel into the bowls and it eventually just dies still. Then when I try to give it gas from under the hood no fuel goes into the bowls. The two times it died it took over 1hr before it was cooled off enough, would prime the carb and start right back up.

Engine temp only gets to about 190 and no higher than 205.

Ok , did the problem start after the fuel filter install, and does that fuel filter have arrows pointing in the direction of flow ?

I'm running a Carter electric fuel pump on my Sport Fury. Not too loud. My Dart, has a pusher electric pump, just for when the car sits for a while. Look at the fuel line as it goes along the frame. It is close to the exhaust by the engine. Might want to wrap it. Maybe the metal from the braided line is picking up heat. Consider the engine temp too.

Yea I was thinking about getting a stock metal line from the pump to the filter, and then running a return line.

A pusher electric pump is just the red/blue holly electric pumps? I'm not to worried about it being loud as my car is loud enough to mask the sound of any electric pump lol.

Yea I was thinking about getting a stock metal line from the pump to the filter, and then running a return line.

A pusher electric pump is just the red/blue holly electric pumps? I'm not to worried about it being loud as my car is loud enough to mask the sound of any electric pump lol.
You will hear it, they resonate though the mount bad.

Phenolic Wood spacer
You would think that wood would act as a thermal brake. I am not sure on that.
The black composite ones work I have used them many time with great sucsess.
I am still leaning toward a fuel pressure problem.

You would think that wood would act as a thermal brake. I am not sure on that.
The black composite ones work I have used them many time with great sucsess.
I am still leaning toward a fuel pressure problem.
I agree, I'd remove that filter, and try running without it and/or check to see if there's a fuel strainer in that carb..

Agree.
Alumin body, sintered bronze filter. Designed by/for who knows.
Even Holley's equiped with sintered filters in the inlets have a direction and a spring IIRC.

Ive tried giving it lots of pedal to get more fuel into the bowls and it eventually just dies still.
OK. I think we (you) have a misunderstanding of either the terms or how the carb works.
That's making your diagnoses that much more difficult.
I can give you my toilet analogy or you can read/watch Mr. Tech explain it in 1966 or 70.
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/index.htm
Your choice.
Tech is probably more entertaining...
laugh2-gif.gif

Agree.
Alumin body, sintered bronze filter. Designed by/for who knows.
Even Holley's equiped with sintered filters in the inlets have a direction and a spring IIRC.

OK. I think we (you) have a misunderstanding of either the terms or how the carb works.
That's making your diagnoses that much more difficult.
I can give you my toilet analogy or you can read/watch Mr. Tech explain it in 1966 or 70.
Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics
Your choice.
Tech is probably more entertaining... View attachment 1715569748

Probably a little of both? What I do know is when my car isnt hot I can press on the throttle linkage atrached to the carb and gas squirts through the annular boosters into the carburetor. When the car is warmed and I start driving it after a couple of stops it starts to act as it isn't getting fuel. Once it dies and I pop the hood, press on the throttle linkage fuel no longer squirts into the carburetor from the boosters.

Hopefully I used the correct terms. Heres some pics if I explained it wrong :)

Edit- pictures are not meant to be offensive, just to help explain in pictures what I may have explained incorrectly in words.

20200729_212353.jpg

20200729_212431.jpg

Fuel filter circled in red and using a wood spacer. I know fuel isn't getting to the carb because when it dies no fuel comes out of the carb into the bowls when I give it gas.

Only new things related to the fuel system is the steel braided line from the mech pump to the fuel filter...

View attachment 1715569640

That's a tiny fuel filter. I don't see how it could filter for more than 15 minutes without bein slap full of trash.

Probably a little of both? What I do know is when my car isnt hot I can press on the throttle linkage atrached to the carb and gas squirts through the annular boosters into the carburetor. When the car is warmed and I start driving it after a couple of stops it starts to act as it isn't getting fuel. Once it dies and I pop the hood, press on the throttle linkage fuel no longer squirts into the carburetor from the boosters.

Hopefully I used the correct terms. Heres some pics if I explained it wrong :)

Edit- pictures are not meant to be offensive, just to help explain in pictures what I may have explained incorrectly in words.

View attachment 1715569947

View attachment 1715569948
OK. I understand now.

Go read the booklet and watch the filmstrip. I'd suggest the 1966 Carburetor Fundementals because its pre-emisions. However some of the analogies in the 1970 version, such as the bug or paint sprayer, may be easier to understand.

The problem you are having is more than the terms. The fuel you see when you move the throttles comes from a small mechanical pump. If there is no fuel coming out, it may or may not be because there is low fuel in the bowls. The engine does not run on at that fuel. The fuel that is pumped out those squirters when the throttles are moved is to cover the brief moments when the pressure in the intake causes the fuel vapor to condense against the walls. It's mostly need for quick throttle openings when the fuel is being drawn by manifold vacuum. When the engine is is drawing enough air, the air velocity past the boosters draws the fuel and generally no pump shot is needed.

-
Back